Lighting in DAZ studio

Raken5

Feb 20, 2021
(COVER ART)
I am looking for information or tutorials on creating lighting in DAZ. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Baka plays

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2017
I mean just google it or search on YT?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
There's not a ton out there specifically for Daz. However, watching videos about lighting techniques for film/photography will still be helpful as a lot of it can apply to Daz lighting. That being said, beyond what Baka plays offered it, there's and , both are paid. There's also Val Cameron's stuff that he sells on the Daz store, a lot of which is pirateable, if that's what you're looking for. The Magical 8-Point Lighting set offers up a lot of important techniques and information on the different types of lights/lighting and how they're typically used, along with some tricks on how to render quicker (if you're into that, or just simply have weaker hardware.)

Apr 18, 2021
That is such a broad question, almost like asking about lighting for photography which is *everything*
You're going to have to experiment a lot, try out every setting and see what it does.

A couple youtubers, IT Roy and WP Guru are great.

The primary things I would recommend learning are to use firstly HDRIs then ghost lights and finally spotlights. Don't just try to light your scenes with a few spot lights or point lights and expect it to look good.

Lighting is an art all to itself, it takes a lot of time to learn and it is difficult to master.

Raken5

Feb 20, 2021
Thanks for the feedback. Looking back, yes pretty broad question. Initially my models look good then I add an environment and the lights go out. So yes practice makes perfect as they say. Thanks again though.

Apr 18, 2021
Thanks for the feedback. Looking back, yes pretty broad question. Initially my models look good then I add an environment and the lights go out. So yes practice makes perfect as they say. Thanks again though.
-What you're likely seeing is the preview light which is visible in Texture Shaded view mode (see my last sentence here). It is automatically turned on if you have no lights in your scene. You can toggle that with Ctrl+L. It's not a real light.

-Remember to keep Auto Headlamp off in Render Settings > General. This is just a general thing.

-Check out under Render Settings > Environment > Environment mode. Dome is HDRI only, Dome and scene is HDRI and lights you add etc. This is important unless you're working in a 100% interior environment with no windows.

-Preview modes are very important. Do you have an Nvidia GPU or AMD? If Nvidia, switching to Nvidia Iray mode at the top right of the preview window will give you an accurate example of how your rendered lighting will look however it is slow and not suitable for scene building.

Last edited: