Linux keypress repeat

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I recently moved back to using Linux as my primary OS. One thing I found lacking was something to simulate rapid keypresses like AutoHotkey.

After failing to find anything after about a minute of googling :tf:, I spent a few hours writing a bash script. It's very different to AHK; somewhat more cumbersome but also somewhat more versatile.

Then I spent a few more hours flushing it out and preparing it for public use. It still needs a little work, but I'll soon be looking for a couple relatively Linux savvy* f95ers to help me put it through the paces. Such folks should send me PM and I'll send link to pastebin (probably tomorrow night).

As for anyone else, please let me know if there's any interest. If there is, I'll upload it here once it's been vetted a bit.

* At least understand executability and $PATH, and how to find which package contains a particular binary on their distro if it's not installed. Ideally know how to enable script debugging and what to do then.

Reactions: fsck

fsck

Aug 3, 2017
I'm guessing your script is a wrapper around xdotool :)

To simulate rapidly spamming a key (eg. Spacebar) I guess would try something like:

Code:
xdotool search --name [name of the window] type '                                             '
This looks useful. I'm looking forward to seeing your completed script.

Reactions: vanuyak