Daz Lips gap problem with morph loader pro

Apr 7, 2020
This is my problem
The one on the right has been obtained with the slider of "Celine", which is a combination of teen Raven+Celine
The one on the left, is the same head morph but it has been loaded from morph loader pro, after been saved like an .obj at base resolution and without lashes (as it should). And I also tried with reverse deformation, in the prompt of morph loader, but nothing to do.
It looks like everything is OK, but the lips. When I use morph loader, they are a little bit different and they don't close properly.
I noticed that if I export a head from a single morph (e.g. only Teen Raven), all goes properly.
Thanks
example.png

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
It could be a difference in subdivision. I have noticed before when exporting characters that they differentiate a bit from the model showed in DAZ, because DAZ models are shown with level 2 subdivision by default, while exporting uses 0 by default (I think). Especially around the lips.

You can check this in DAZ fairly easy by changing the subdivision on the right one from 2 to 0. If the gap in the lips start to appear then its a subdivision problem. Maybe increasing it on the left one from 0 to 2 solves it.

BzPz

Jan 16, 2022
It could be a HD morph, they don't save correct.
I sort of had the same problem with a character of mine and the ""Mouth Realism HD" morph.
Resulted in really crooked teeth.
For exporting character morphs you need to disable the HD morphs, I think it's something Daz does intentionally.

Apr 7, 2020
It could be a difference in subdivision. I have noticed before when exporting characters that they differentiate a bit from the model showed in DAZ, because DAZ models are shown with level 2 subdivision by default, while exporting uses 0 by default (I think). Especially around the lips.

You can check this in DAZ fairly easy by changing the subdivision on the right one from 2 to 0. If the gap in the lips start to appear then its a subdivision problem. Maybe increasing it on the left one from 0 to 2 solves it.
I tried to change "render subd minimum" from 2 to 0 and nothing happened. Then I changed "subdivision level" from 1 to 0 and the gap appeared. Then I loaded the morph and I tried to increase every subd level, but the gap is still there :(
you might need to adjust the jaw a bit to close the gap
This looks like the simplest solution, but the fact is that the lip morph is not the same: so it's not just a gap issue
It could be a HD morph, they don't save correct.
I sort of had the same problem with a character of mine and the ""Mouth Realism HD" morph.
Resulted in really crooked teeth.
For exporting character morphs you need to disable the HD morphs, I think it's something Daz does intentionally.
When I export the morph, I delete eyelashes and set resolution to base, otherwise the geometry load will fail in morph loader pro

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I tried to change "render subd minimum" from 2 to 0 and nothing happened. Then I changed "subdivision level" from 1 to 0 and the gap appeared. Then I loaded the morph and I tried to increase every subd level, but the gap is still there :(
Its 100% a subdivision problem then. Your original character is made in an higher subdivision than the Base (or level 0). When you lower it it loses details, which is mainly noticeable in areas with a lot of vertices like the lips/ears/nose. I have found a gap appearing in the lips to be very common when lowering subdivision levels.

Can you export the character with an higher subdivision and import it again with an higher subdivision? Or does it need to be the lowest possible resolution? If its the latter, only thing I can think of is opening the OBJ in Blender and manually closing the gap in the lips.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Can you export the character with an higher subdivision and import it again with an higher subdivision? Or does it need to be the lowest possible resolution?
No in theory. You can but it's tedious.
If you have say 1-3 meshes to correct, Blender or any 3D suit should clean it.
If you got more than that, setup an older Daz version that can import/export subd meshes. (Not sure it will export dhdm morphs tho, I don't remember but I think not)

Apr 7, 2020
I understand. I wanted to have a single morph for each of the characters of my comic. That's because the loading and rendering time will be faster than with chars with a lot of morphs and sliders

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
This approach is a good idea if you have a lot of morphs in your library. You have to move all the other morphs out of your Daz library folder for it to work. The best approach is to duplicate the folder structure. That way, you can easily add that directory to Daz if you need to use one of those morphs.

For me, this drastically improved loading time but made no difference in rendering. Unless for batch rendering, you're counting the loading time as part of the rendering process.

I also had the same problem with the lips. To get around it, I add the character to a new scene with no rendering settings and close the mouth slightly. When I need that character, I just import that scene.

Reactions: jonathanlivingston

BzPz

Jan 16, 2022
When I export the morph, I delete eyelashes and set resolution to base, otherwise the geometry load will fail in morph loader pro
Sorry if it was unclear, I meant the HD morphs on the figure, found under the "Actor" tab.
Here I loaded a GF8.1 figure, deleted eyelashes etc, set resolution to base, subdivision to 0.
Standard GF8.1 comes with a HD morph called "Mouth Realism HD", you may have others you use.
HD MORPH problem.png

These HD morphs fall under "DAZ MultiResolution Morph Support" which regular users of DAZ Studio don't have acces to.
You have to disable these HD morphs before exporting, then re-enable them after import to get the desired effect.
There'll still be some small differences, but it could be good enough.

See also:

Apr 7, 2020
Sorry if it was unclear, I meant the HD morphs on the figure, found under the "Actor" tab.
Here I loaded a GF8.1 figure, deleted eyelashes etc, set resolution to base, subdivision to 0.
Standard GF8.1 comes with a HD morph called "Mouth Realism HD", you may have others you use.
View attachment 2758692

These HD morphs fall under "DAZ MultiResolution Morph Support" which regular users of DAZ Studio don't have acces to.
You have to disable these HD morphs before exporting, then re-enable them after import to get the desired effect.
There'll still be some small differences, but it could be good enough.

See also:

Thanks for the suggestion, but the proble m still remains :(