VN Ren'Py Load save

OnііChan

Nov 2, 2020
What to do if pop - up "This save was created on a different device ..." when load save in Ren`Py game

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
What to do if pop - up "This save was created on a different device ..." when load save in Ren`Py game
Answering the question...

The full text is "This save was created on a different device. Maliciously constructed save files can harm your computer. Do you trust this save's creator and everyone who could have changed the file?"

So, do you trust the save's creator or do you not ? It's not more complicated than this.

Apr 2, 2021
Answering the question...

The full text is "This save was created on a different device. Maliciously constructed save files can harm your computer. Do you trust this save's creator and everyone who could have changed the file?"

So, do you trust the save's creator or do you not ? It's not more complicated than this.
It is more complicated than this, I have the same problem (even if it's my own save made with the same PC) and when click Yes I get a Renpy error.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/compat/load_failed.rpy", line 256, in <module>
TypeError: 'RevertableSet' object does not support item assignment

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "compat/load_failed.rpyc", line 6, in script
  File "D:\Giochi\#\# INCOMPLETI\College Kings\CollegeKings2-3.1.8\renpy\ast.py", line 1138, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "D:\Giochi\#\# INCOMPLETI\College Kings\CollegeKings2-3.1.8\renpy\python.py", line 1122, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/compat/load_failed.rpy", line 256, in <module>
  File "game/characters/CharacterService_ren.py", line 77, in set_relationship
TypeError: 'RevertableSet' object does not support item assignment

Windows-10-10.0.19045 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.1.0.23051307
College Kings 2 3.1.8
Fri Jun  2 00:59:00 2023

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It is more complicated than this,
No, it isn't.

I have the same problem
No, you haven't.
The error you encounter come from the game, not from Ren'Py core. This is only possible if the save file have been fully loaded without problems.

(even if it's my own save made with the same PC)
It's a new feature, introduced to the last version of Ren'Py that was officially released only few days ago.
I haven't had the possibility to test it yet, but I'm 80% sure that you have this message only because you are loading a save file generated before this security check was implemented ; said otherwise Ren'Py believe that the save come from another source because there's no mention of the source.

When press Yes, nothing happen
This is a problem.

But honestly I don't know how to solve it, nor even if it can be solved.

Apr 2, 2021
No, you haven't.
The error you encounter come from the game, not from Ren'Py core. This is only possible if the save file have been fully loaded without problems.

It's a new feature, introduced to the last version of Ren'Py that was officially released only few days ago.
I haven't had the possibility to test it yet, but I'm 80% sure that you have this message only because you are loading a save file generated before this security check was implemented ; said otherwise Ren'Py believe that the save come from another source because there's no mention of the source.
Ok so when I click Yes it works correctly and then I get the game error?

I generated the file with CollegeKings 1.2.15 (Act I), I just noticed that there is a more recent version (1.3.12) but I didn't see any changelog after v1.2.14, could that be the problem? I already downloaded the last version for Act II and I used that when I tried to import the save.

zilzmaer

Mar 10, 2019
this has been happening to me over the last few days with recently updated games. it doesn't matter when the file was created, it never happens unless i modify a save file but it happens every time i do, no matter what program i use to edit it. when i try to load the edited file, it pops up the "different device" message, and both options to "do you trust it" result in not loading the file with no additional messages.

my guess is that they fucked up when implementing the check, and they accidentally put the "do not trust" code on both answers, but i really have no idea.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
it doesn't matter when the file was created, it never happens unless i modify a save file but it happens every time i do,
Then don't do something as useless as editing the save file. Instead learn how to use the console, there's many thread regarding this on the forum.

my guess is that they fucked up when implementing the check, and they accidentally put the "do not trust" code on both answers, but i really have no idea.
No they don't. But they obviously check if the save file have been edited, and since it have...

zilzmaer

Mar 10, 2019
Then don't do something as useless as editing the save file. Instead learn how to use the console, there's many thread regarding this on the forum.
>don't do this useless thing
>instead, do this other thing that, until now, was functionally identical
yeah, i've started to learn how to use the console. so far, every time i've tried using it, i've run into errors that completely prevent progression despite following the guides in those threads exactly. maybe i'm just reading the wrong threads, but so far it's exactly as useless. perhaps i'll realize what i'm doing wrong in the next few days, perhaps not. doesn't really matter, though, because it's completely irrelevant to my prior comment.

No they don't. But they obviously check if the save file have been edited, and since it have...
my complaint wasn't "i edited my save file and now i can't load it", my complaint was "the message Ren'Py gave me was inapplicable to my situation, and even though it asked me if i wanted to continue it refused to let me with no additional message explaining why."

if they want to disallow editing save files, that's fine, i'm okay with that; what i don't like is how they implemented it. they should put it in the documentation. they should have a message saying "the file can't be loaded because it has been edited with a third-party program." they shouldn't say it was created on a different device, and they shouldn't give you the option to continue and load anyway unless they're actually going to allow it.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
If you edit the save file incorrectly it obviously can cause errors.

If you are using a third party software to edit your saves then you should download the most recent version of this software or ask help in their own forums.

And if you are looking for an alternative you can always enable the console to manually edit python variables or instead use cheat engine to edit memory values directly.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
yeah, i've started to learn how to use the console. so far, every time i've tried using it, i've run into errors that completely prevent progression despite following the guides in those threads exactly.
Then editing the save file would have exactly the same breaking result.

doesn't really matter, though, because it's completely irrelevant to my prior comment.
It's the opposite, it's totally relevant.
The save file check have been implemented precisely to secure the games against corrupted save files ; what include to check if the said save file haven't been edited.

While, by itself, the interest would be really limited, a malware that would rely on the corruption of Ren'Py save files to attack the host system would be more furtive than a worm that would directly target the said system. And placing it inside a save editor would make it undetectable at first, since its behavior would looks perfectly legit for an anti-virus.

my complaint wasn't "i edited my save file and now i can't load it", my complaint was "the message Ren'Py gave me was inapplicable to my situation, and even though it asked me if i wanted to continue it refused to let me with no additional message explaining why."
No, your complaint was "the new security feature implemented in Ren'Py prevent me do to stupid useless things".
As for the additional message, the only thing it could tell you is "the save file is not valid", what wouldn't help you more. Because it's all what Ren'Py would know ; the checksum it got from the save file do not correspond to the checksum it should get, what can have many causes.

they should put it in the documentation.
It is .

they should have a message saying "the file can't be loaded because it has been edited with a third-party program."
See above.

they shouldn't say it was created on a different device,
As the checksum is implemented, there's no way to tell beforehand if it have been create on a different device or if it have been edited on that device.
And no, strictly speaking this isn't an issue.

and they shouldn't give you the option to continue and load anyway unless they're actually going to allow it.
Ren'Py will strictly refuse to load a save file that looks as corrupted, this whatever the system it have been created on, and whatever you ask it to do.

When you look at the current tendency that users have to refuse all responsibility, and to accuse third parties to be the cause of all their problems, it really feel like a save move from PyTom. Doing otherwise would, soon or later, make an idiot sue him because Ren'Py was used to attack his computer.
Whatever if there's 99% chance that PyTom would win in justice, it would still be something fuckingly annoying, that would cost him a lot, both in terms of time and money. This without talking about the negative impact in terms of image if the said idiot found enough idiots to relay his call for boycott.

zilzmaer

Mar 10, 2019
It is .
if you're going to make a claim, and even include a link to supposedly back up your claim, you should make sure that your claim is actually true. i'd already been to that particular page; it was one of the first things i checked. it does not address this issue in any way. that page has two sections. the first is about games and mods; it contains a warning about malicious software, and cautions users to only run games or apply mods if they trust everyone involved in the game or mod. the second section talks about save files, which initially seems promising; it explains that the format Ren'Py uses for save files is very powerful and can be abused by malicious actors. it goes on to caution users not to load save files unless they trust everyone involved in the creation and spread of that save file, as well as recommending against sharing save files.

okay, so according to that page, i should be careful only to run things i trust. sounds good, that's what i'm doing. oh look, there's a message when i do try to load those save files, consistent with what's on that page! that's nice, they're really trying to look out for users who might otherwise be caught unawares. well, i've already run the game and loaded save files, so if anyone involved in getting the game to me was a malicious actor i'd already be fucked. running the game or loading an unmodified save file won't do any additional harm, so i might as well trust it. i've also been using this editor for a while now, so the same situation applies; loading a modified save file won't do anything this time that it didn't do last time, so i might as well trust it. thus, after consideration, i've decided that i trust this save file and wish to load it, as both the warning message and the documentation page you linked allow. oh wait, i can't load it for some reason; huh, that's weird, i sure wish the reason why was explained somewhere, either as an error message or somewhere in the documentation. that'd sure be convenient.

if they don't want users to be able to load any save file that may have been tampered with, that'd be fine; i'd be okay with that, i already said as much. but if they're going to remove functionality, they should document that, instead of pretending like the functionality is still there. the entirety of my complaint is "there's a thing i used to do and it worked just fine, and now when i try to do it i get a message that's not relevant to what i'm doing but explicitly says i can continue anyway but then it doesn't let me do it despite having literally just said i can." your attempt at strawmanning and gaslighting me isn't going to convince anyone except yourself.

also, as an aside, your continual insistence that using a save editor is stupid and useless is pretty fuckin' weird. in order to unlock the console you still have to run UnRen or a similar program, so you're still reliant on running a third-party program, and 99% of what you'd actually do with the console is exactly the same. how is that any less stupid or useless?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
if you're going to make a claim, and even include a link to supposedly back up your claim, you should make sure that your claim is actually true.
I'm not responsible for your inability to use your brain.

loading a modified save file won't do anything this time that it didn't do last time, so i might as well trust it.
And for what reason ? What prove you that the editor isn't designed to wait for the umpteenth use before it corrupt the save file, precisely for you to lower your guard ?
If it's an online one, what prove you that it haven't changed, or that the file sent back haven't been corrupted by a third party ?

[...] but if they're going to remove functionality, they should document that, instead of pretending like the functionality is still there.
And what functionality did they removed ?
Blindly editing a save file, without even knowing what you are doing (since you break everything when you're doing exactly the same from the console, while following instructions) have never been a functionality. Especially since the console exist and is designed to be enabled by any player.
PyTom haven't removed a functionality, he fixed a flaw.

also, as an aside, your continual insistence that using a save editor is stupid and useless is pretty fuckin' weird.
If you say so...

in order to unlock the console you still have to run UnRen or a similar program, so you're still reliant on running a third-party program, and 99% of what you'd actually do with the console is exactly the same. how is that any less stupid or useless?
It's less stupid because, would you've dedicated one minute of your life to this, you would have discovered that in order to unlock the console, you just need to have this one line file that you can perfectly write yourself:
Python:
define config.console = True
As explained, not necessarily in the same short version, but the result is the same, here, or here, or in one of the thousands other posts saying the same.

You would also have discovered that you can copy/past one of the hundreds code that can be found here, like in this post by example.

And you would also have discovered that you can even be dirty and directly do it by editing Ren'Py, like explained here, or here, among many other place where the same thing is said on this forum.

GamleErik89

Sep 13, 2018
Anyone have a fix for this.

Grinding gets very annoying in games
0x52 URM(Universal Ren'Py Mod) Comes with menu to enable console etc. too. You can search values or variables with it, and modify on the fly for most games, as it depends on how it's scripted, so you might have to go treasure hunting through relevant results. Also works as a makeshift WT mod in a pinch, if you use the watchpanel that pops up to show avaliable paths.

Tyronedsaurus

Apr 29, 2019
For a bit more clarity I get the same issue when saving edited save using save editor online. when it loads it gives a warning " Your RenPy version have some save protection, to disable find this file \renpy\savetoken.py and replace if token_dir is None: by if True:"

Unfortunately I know where to find the file but I dont know how to use the required syntax for it.

Reactions: augi36

augi36

Aug 20, 2017
For a bit more clarity I get the same issue when saving edited save using save editor online. when it loads it gives a warning " Your RenPy version have some save protection, to disable find this file \renpy\savetoken.py and replace if token_dir is None: by if True:"

Unfortunately I know where to find the file but I dont know how to use the required syntax for it.

my English is bad. I work with a translator, sorry. I had the same problem. (I have no idea about rewriting programs) I opened this file with Notepad++ and searched for "token_dir is None:". 3 hits were shown to me. Lines 143, 234 and 267 (in my game) I think this can be somewhere else in every game. I simply replaced "token_dir is None:" with "if True:". 3 times in total. Now I can load the game normally with the edited save. so it worked.

Reactions: LufiKun and hichigo