HTML Loading HTML saves

ShadzShashi

Nov 28, 2020
I tried to load the saved data of a HTML game I was playing from the disk memory. But the saves menu seems to have no development and nothing is loading. My OS is win 11 and the browser is chrome. Why it is so?

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Could be that the save is corrupt. Open the save in a text editor and it should look something like this, but much more:
N4IglgJiBcILYHsB2BDAzgFwKYCcCeIANCJitjKGEhFgB4wCMAnMXQA5g5ZTQDaIAZQwocGIiACyKKgAI4WJAFdxQkWOIBjRZgRwwALyzjSooQnzHhpjOYLETGMxftXHN5yVdO7ntd/EIihhokEaaABYobFgANgFBITTGGuEICHH2KWkZIIHBoeJKSGiFisXicBri4YoARhUlxHCN8C3NDdV11QDmIjRInfXEANa9OP3io30Kg4UpUbGzxN04gdQtK2sQG6tl20sgtTEoGsMQaTjiRydnFwe1ZOGrulePz3CvGE9pH8QPX+8DpEYjlgaCUCDqhDQV1iBAyt0sMgDnlEmESFl0slUljMjicmhMTl5tFiZFSeISYsIgsybTKeTqSAqTkim0NAwKhyuZziDUhiAuAAzLAadw+YWi8W8kD8rniNg4FB4WrceV82GtA7tJpoGXNfXcppG
If the save is just a line or two, it's corrupt, but it could be corrupt even if there is a lot of the above scrambled text in it.

ShadzShashi

Nov 28, 2020
Could be that the save is corrupt. Open the save in a text editor and it should look something like this, but much more:

If the save is just a line or two, it's corrupt, but it could be corrupt even if there is a lot of the above scrambled text in it.
The save file has about 15 lines like the way you showed. Also I tried it for other html games too. But the result is same. Not a single file is loading from the disk.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
The save file has about 15 lines like the way you showed. Also I tried it for other html games too. But the result is same. Not a single file is loading from the disk.
If you give me one of your saves and tell me which game it is from, I can see if I can help.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
The save file is from the game Looking Back. Also thank you for your willingness to help.
I can load the save. It's from the start of chapter 6.

It just occured to me that you probably have run out of local storage in the Chrome browser. You must free some storage in that case. Off the top of my head, I can't tell you exactly how since I never done it myself, but search around.

You could press f12 and have Console selected. See what it says when you load a save. I'm not sure what it will say, if anything, if the problem is the local storage, but maybe it will tell you what the problem is.

Try to load the save in Firefox, or any other browser than Chrome, and it will work if I'm right about local storage.

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Reactions: Alcahest

ShadzShashi

Nov 28, 2020
I can load the save. It's from the start of chapter 6.

It just occured to me that you probably have run out of local storage in the Chrome browser. You must free some storage in that case. Off the top of my head, I can't tell you exactly how since I never done it myself, but search around.

You could press f12 and have Console selected. See what it says when you load a save. I'm not sure what it will say, if anything, if the problem is the local storage, but maybe it will tell you what the problem is.

Try to load the save in Firefox, or any other browser than Chrome, and it will work if I'm right about local storage.
Tried both the options, but none of them worked. But still thanks for the suggestions, also completed the game as it is not that deep to start again. So I think let's leave it as it is.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Tried both the options, but none of them worked. But still thanks for the suggestions, also completed the game as it is not that deep to start again. So I think let's leave it as it is.
It didn't work to load the save when playing in another browser (like Firefox)?

And what did it say in the console when you tried to load a save?

ShadzShashi

Nov 28, 2020
It didn't work to load the save when playing in another browser (like Firefox)?

And what did it say in the console when you tried to load a save?
Yeah, all the browsers behaved the same way, including Firefox. Also the console remains blank showing that there are no issues while loading. I also cleared the local storage of the browser and still no results. Seems like it's beyond the browser.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Alcahest

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
I also cleared the local storage of the browser
Just to confirm on my end, did you repeat similar steps for clearing your local storage on the other browsers (e.g., Firefox?) not just on Chrome... and the save was still unavailable?