Chariosaur

Apr 18, 2018
Nah you don't need to click alt unless you want to (Though it would be safer if you can). Just if you move too early you'll walk in front of the boar instead of turning towards it. Then you might get smacked if you don't move quick enough out of the way. That's the number one difficulty with that strat and probably how you'll get hit since the speed they move depends on whether or not they attack or sprint or walk. It's a huge timing thing.

You facing boar: Attack, move up, wait until boar starts to move up, hit right, attack, move down, wait for boar to start moving down, hit right, attack, etc, etc.
I see, so because the boar makes a move up, following You, the tile he's moving to is already occupied so You can only turn instead of walking on it. Well, it looks effective, and im guessing it works for other enemies too, as long there is enough space to maneuver. Would You say current attack speed is in the right place for the game balance?

I mean, how else would you suggest turning in place? Also shield "locks" you into a playstyle but how else are you playing combat?

Sneak ambush -> enemies should never discover you in the first place, much less melee with you
Magic -> enemies shouldn't get close to you at all
Bow -> enemies shouldn't get close to you at all

If your playstyle is to have a melee brawl with them, then yeah buy a shield.
What if its underground and Your only light source is Your lamp? What if Your weapon of choice is a spear? Should You just grit your teeth and get a shield? Those playstyles You mentioned are also hampered by the clunkiness and magic with 40 WIS still does peanuts for damage.
Violated Heroine(RPGM) had turn in place with a single movement key input, holding or double tapping movment key would make You move in that direction, tap and hold for sprint.
edit: Just checked, it does not, sorry.

Last edited:

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
I see, so because the boar makes a move up, following You, the tile he's moving to is already occupied so You can only turn instead of walking on it. Well, it looks effective, and im guessing it works for other enemies too, as long there is enough space to maneuver. Would You say current attack speed is in the right place for the game balance?
Maybe not, it's not really intuitive obviously to fight in that manner and the basic methods don't really work lol. I'm not a fan of the shield blocking at all, with the attack speed of enemies, it doesn't seem useful as is. There's a weird delay between melee attacking and switching to blocking that will get you hit sometimes currently (The block button won't register if it's too soon after attacking). Sometimes your hit won't register on a boar and it'll hit you and start launching you around/stun locking you as well even though you did nothing wrong button press wise.

It would be nice if a well timed block would briefly stun enemies or something. So you could play a tank and spank style. Being forced to dance around like that is kinda stressful on the fingers for constant fights lol. I don't enjoy it. The boar at least never lets up its attack against a shield and you take the same damage anyways. I think the only benefit to the shield currently is you won't take injuries for the hits you take, but I mean, it's better to just move out of the way or fight it with ranged weapons atm.

Currently the sword + blocking is less effective and more obnoxious/less reliable to use than just not guarding basically, so that needs some help. I'm not sure if they can fix that guard fail after attacking. I can't really describe it in a video, it would just look like I didn't block properly, lol. Anybody that's used weapon + shield and tried blocking + counter attacking enemies will probably know what I'm talking about. There's like a .2-.5? second delay between the end of your attack and actually being able to bring your guard up. That's plenty of time for the crazy attack speed of the boar to fuck you up. It's super frustrating hitting the guard button and your character just stands there like a derp and gets hit.

One handed weapons + shield is certainly in the worst spot mechanically atm in my opinion. Magic is weak number wise, but effective mechanically at least (Frost spells anyways). 2 hand works against slower enemies. The 1hand + Shield combo is just too unreliable and I really only use it against the boar atm since it's the easiest enemy to control for that dancing fighting style. Against undead or humans I usually just use a 2hander physical wise.

Last edited:

maankamara

Sep 16, 2017
Speaking of combat. What are some of people's favorites currently?

Personally I'm currently having fun with saber+dagger. I'll probably try the saber+shield too at some point for the defense bonus (+15?). Trying to get a whip, which has by far the superior attack in my opinion, too bad the stamina damage type seems less effective against most enemies. Even still, the 3x2 attack field with 1 stamina cost is too good to pass lightly. It is also one-handed so I'll probably switch my saber for it once I get lucky enough to loot one.

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019

Personally I'm currently having fun with saber+dagger. I'll probably try the saber+shield too at some point for the defense bonus (+15?). Trying to get a whip, which has by far the superior attack in my opinion, too bad the stamina damage type seems less effective against most enemies. Even still, the 3x2 attack field with 1 stamina cost is too good to pass lightly. It is also one-handed so I'll probably switch my saber for it once I get lucky enough to loot one.
Definitely the magic spells. I really hope it gets buffs/improvements like allowing the fire spells to not be interrupted, or reducing how much damage you take for getting hit with your own aoe, reducing cast time of fire spells, etc, etc. Ice is mostly just in a bad place damage wise. Kind of annoying how boars can charge through the ticks of fire/wind wall spells too. That's like what they should be made specifically to stop.

Heavy stealth style is really the only combat style I haven't tried too much yet now, might get into that next after I play with some of the expensive 2handers a bit. Seems to be a crowd favorite so I'ma guess it's not terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: quiboune

NaiasEleias

Jan 25, 2018
What if its underground and Your only light source is Your lamp? What if Your weapon of choice is a spear? Should You just grit your teeth and get a shield? Those playstyles You mentioned are also hampered by the clunkiness and magic with 40 WIS still does peanuts for damage.
Violated Heroine(RPGM) had turn in place with a single movement key input, holding or double tapping movment key would make You move in that direction, tap and hold for sprint.
Unequip the lamp and equip a shield. Lamps aren't for fighting, might as well ask how you will see things with a bow.
For spear, the point of it is that you have higher range than normal melee and can attack two at once. If you're unable to use that, which apparently not in this case since you're getting whacked anyway, there's also no point using the spear. It does barely more that a one handed weapon wouldn't do, while using more stamina, and if you are using spear then you pumped combat anyway and can just unequip and reequip. That's not locking you out of a playstyle, you're just using the combat weapon in a suboptimal place. And that's honestly a bigger problem with spear since it just sucks more often than not.

Also all the enemies you are complaining about will get chain locked and die from water staff spam. It's actually the easiest way to kill things like boars besides longbow sniping which just oneshots them.

Alternative control schemes sounds good, as long as the dev has enough time for them.

NaiasEleias

Jan 25, 2018

If you want to ez mode the game, rush level 15, get longbow and part scoutcraft/combat. Longbow snipe will one/two shot basically everything from a mile away.

Water staff is also good for safety, the pushback and range means you will never get hit unless surrounded. Fire staff is unviable due to cast time unless you're also losing aggro and running.

Sneak with dagger/other weps mostly pales in comparison to longbow sniping them instead, but you can use it in small rooms easier.

The standard melee is definitely the weakest of the lot, you will ether need to move like crazy(unviable in closed spaces) or turtle under the shield while not attacking and then trade blows.

Reactions: FruitSmoothie

NaiasEleias

Jan 25, 2018
For the shield playstyle against the boar specifically, I found that he eventually stops attacking but it takes long time. A lot of the time with shield, you will need to trade blows, and the point is basically that he's not stunning you and pounding you right after you attack which is usually what the boar kills you with.

Chariosaur

Apr 18, 2018
Unequip the lamp and equip a shield. Lamps aren't for fighting, might as well ask how you will see things with a bow.
For spear, the point of it is that you have higher range than normal melee and can attack two at once. If you're unable to use that, which apparently not in this case since you're getting whacked anyway, there's also no point using the spear. It does barely more that a one handed weapon wouldn't do, while using more stamina, and if you are using spear then you pumped combat anyway and can just unequip and reequip. That's not locking you out of a playstyle, you're just using the combat weapon in a suboptimal place. And that's honestly a bigger problem with spear since it just sucks more often than not.

Also all the enemies you are complaining about will get chain locked and die from water staff spam. It's actually the easiest way to kill things like boars besides longbow sniping which just oneshots them.

Alternative control schemes sounds good, as long as the dev has enough time for them.
Do You realize that current mechanics is what's making the combat unnecesarily difficult and frustrating? Would You rather keep it and dance around it with or actually improve it?

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
I hope there's a physical ranged weapon in the future that doesn't need high quality weapon to use. It would be cool to be able to start off as a ranger/ranged type character. A slingshot or sling or something? Magic requiring a trait kind of makes sense, but I feel like archery/ranged could probably have an early game version for a strict archer playstyle.

Reactions: Dargadon

NaiasEleias

Jan 25, 2018
Do You realize that current mechanics is what's making the combat unnecesarily difficult and frustrating? Would You rather keep it and dance around it with or actually improve it?
That's why I asked how you would change things like the control scheme? I think it's perfectly fine that some things are hard to kill with certain types of combat, and to ask players to not use the exact same thing for every enemy. It's not supposed to be the type of game where you can just easily kill everything at level 10. I would say the problem is more that ranged is just overpowered.

sean wells

May 17, 2017
im not understanding how to survive in this game more specifically the mechanics, i keep dieing to starvation and jst getting fustrated in fighting opponents other than rats.

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
im not understanding how to survive in this game more specifically the mechanics, i keep dieing to starvation and jst getting fustrated in fighting opponents other than rats.
2handed weapons (You get a pitchfork in the tutorial if you search around) are the go to starter weapons. You can stay out of range of the most undead and human enemies with it and kite them to death. 1 handed weapons are way too hard to use against most enemies at the start. At level 15 you can unlock the ranged weapons. The mana weapons from the wizard or the bow from the blacksmiths. Neither are balanced super well for later content, but they do make combat less dangerous.

The mana weapons/cheapy blacksmith are just north of the pier that's in the very south of the city. The more expensive blacksmith in the city is the building west of the inn.

sean wells

May 17, 2017
2handed weapons (You get a pitchfork in the tutorial if you search around) are the go to starter weapons. You can stay out of range of the most undead and human enemies with it and kite them to death. 1 handed weapons are way too hard to use against most enemies at the start. At level 15 you can unlock the ranged weapons. The mana weapons from the wizard or the bow from the blacksmiths. Neither are balanced super well for later content, but they do make combat less dangerous.

The mana weapons/cheapy blacksmith are just north of the pier that's in the very south of the city. The more expensive blacksmith in the city is the building west of the inn.
im using the pitchfork but the enemies are fast and always behind me when i try to attack

NaiasEleias

Jan 25, 2018
Buy food with your initial coins. Don't fight things if you're low level, and just run away. Progress through the onetime quests and you will never worry about money for food again. Trying to do things like forage for food/dance/do repeatable quests is a trap. They are inefficient and you'll take years to gather money or exp. Around level 15+ when you have high/mana weps, then start fighting if you've been pumping combat/scoutcraft or wisdom.

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
im using the pitchfork but the enemies are fast and always behind me when i try to attack
Yeah, you can either wait till they jump back infront of you, or Alt + Arrow to spin around if you're quick enough.

For the starvation:

You can head outside the city (Walk into the east most looking gate thing and "enter" at the guard) to gather food. Outside there, head east across the bridge until you see trees and head south to them. Those rain forest areas have a lot of useful raw food/herbs you can gather/horde. Make sure you pick up the herb gathering quest off the tavern board first since you might as well take it. That's kind of the unofficial continuation of the tutorial, explaining how/where to scavenge. You'll spend a lot of time gathering food (Buying it is a major waste unless you need the mood buffs).

Stamina drains a shit ton in all tasks and needs to be constantly managed by resting. Hold Q to do a short rest that doesn't pass time and drains 10 food (What you'll use most the time when you don't want to pass time). Shift Q would be the longer rest that's more food efficient and can recover from injuries quicker, but it can't be used safely in a lot of areas. If you're absolutely strapped for food you might need to do that but it does pass time and raises the difficulty of the world. It's best to avoid using the full rest unless you need to. Usually full rest is just to change from night to day so stores open or to recover quickly from debilitating injuries.

Holding shift when you pick up food/herbs will immediately consume them btw, careful not to eat stuff you want to save.
Now I can also add: Buy a sickle from the blacksmith before you go out gathering, it cuts the stamina consumption of gathering food/herbs drastically thanks to the last patch (From 3 stam to 1 stam).

Reactions: AnOldMan

Chariosaur

Apr 18, 2018
That's why I asked how you would change things like the control scheme? I think it's perfectly fine that some things are hard to kill with certain types of combat, and to ask players to not use the exact same thing for every enemy. It's not supposed to be the type of game where you can just easily kill everything at level 10. I would say the problem is more that ranged is just overpowered.
First of all, i would streamline the combat speed, changing enemies capable of playing ball with your body until You're knocked out cold. Adding ability to easily turn in place would also be nice, as for ranged combat, i would make it work same as goblin archers, able to actually choose the tile You're shooting. Same with spells, right now to shoot in another direction You have to move a tile, that leads to a lot of problems early game where new players have issues with rats just switching places with the player. Spells do peanuts for damage at the moment and are cumbersome to use, fireball for example, cant even aim it despite having to cast it. I would move personality traits down the trait tree, Lona developing a personality over the game would be more natural compared to choosing one for her at the very beginning. Directly connected to it.. benefits and penalties, they're to severe and unless You pick tough, melee is a chore. Could even have traits dependant on the personality choice later on. This game has potential to be really damn good and i hope it gets better.

4.10 star(s) 183 Votes