4.80 star(s) 5 Votes

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
I am still working on the list of typos. If I do not manage to send it later today, then it will be on Friday. Sorry for the delay that is caused by two things... Firstly, I wanted to complete all paths and their main variations before spoiling myself by reading the source code of the game. Secondly, I am still working on my secret weapon: a "linter" script that goes through a Twine/Sugarcube file, analyzes all variables or widgets, checks for missing images, and extracts the text of all passages with variable substitutions so that the plain text can be run through a spell checker and grammar checker. I started developing that script for the game "Sluttown USA: Hometown Corruption" by AmusingOddity and now I am trying to adapt it to "Looking Back". This game is a bit simpler because it does not use widgets, it does not have hundreds of variables, and it includes only one image, but it is also more complex because it uses constructs such as <<replace "#question">> that my script cannot handle yet. I am still working on that code...

Before using my script, I played through all paths and I think that I have discovered another minor inconsistency:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Now that I have seen the endings for April, Isabelle, Sarah and their variations (Stella), I am even more impressed by the writing in this game. I thought that replaying the game on a different path would lead me through pretty much the same scenes with only a few minor variations such as changing the names of the protagonists, but this was not the case at all. Of course there are many scenes in common, but there are also many long scenes that are unique to each path. Each chapter has unique variations for each character, and some common events are played from a very different perspective.

"Looking Back" is one of the few Twine/Sugarcube games that are worth replaying several times from the prologue to the epilogue(s). Thanks for that!

By the way, I share the same concern as Ocwil regarding the usage of "says (s)he" instead of "(s)he says". This archaic style works well in a fantasy setting, but I found it rather disturbing in a contemporary story that mentions Ferraris, computers and mobile phones. When I started playing this game, I was tempted to report all of these archaic expressions as grammar problems because they slowed down my reading and my comprehension of the text, until I got used to it. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who was confused by that style.

Although my script is not ready yet, it has already generated a few warnings while analyzing the HTML file:
Code:
Warning: variable $Stellascene1 is never used: <<set $Stellascene1 to true>> in passage "C2S88".
Warning: variable $C2S8a is never used: <<set $C2S8a to false>> in passage "C2S8", <<set $C2S8a to true>> in passage "C2S8a".
Warning: variable $C2S8c is never used: <<set $C2S8c to false>> in passage "C2S8".
Warning: variable $corrution is updated but never initialized and never used, defaulting to zero: <<set $corrution +=3>> in passage "C7AS3b".
The first three warnings are not important and can be ignored. The last one shows that the variable $corruption is misspelled as $corrution in passage "C7AS3b". I do not know if this typo in the variable name has a significant influence on the game because the corruption is modified by a larger amount elsewhere, but it should be fixed anyway.
Wow! Thank you so much for all the time and effort you are putting into helping me.

You are probably right about the "Says I" and "Says she" that I used and perhaps abused. This style of writing can work for the Queen of Phalli but not for Looking back. I will probably give it up for the second fixed release.

• Red Heart
Reactions: UnwrappedGodiva

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
does this have heavy femdom elements?
Depends what you mean by "heavy". Only one of the love interests is clearly dominating and she is very considerate about it. I try to portray a character that approaches her own kink with realistic expectations, being very very careful that her partner is also into what she is before letting loose. It is "gentle" femdom for the most part. There is only one pegging scene and it is avoidable (though it may lock you out of one of the endings).

Ragney

Jan 4, 2019
Depends what you mean by "heavy". Only one of the love interests is clearly dominating and she is very considerate about it. I try to portray a character that approaches her own kink with realistic expectations, being very very careful that her partner is also into what she is before letting loose. It is "gentle" femdom for the most part. There is only one pegging scene and it is avoidable (though it may lock you out of one of the endings).
Where is/who has the pegging scene?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Today I learned what LMoDE and PDE acronyms mean. :ROFLMAO:

Forsooth, thy scribblings are like to bedevil the unlearn'd man!

• Haha
Reactions: Nobody Cares

Gelb13

Mar 5, 2018
Just finished my first playthrough (Sarah), Stella was stellar in almost every appereance, epsecially when she slips into any situation or Sarah.:love:

I gotta say the increase in quality compared to the first chapters of QoP from 2 years ago was very noticable. Methinks we're in good hands for the rest of QoP.

As for the two friendly neighberhood Yochlols... Have we just witnessed the creation of two recuring characters a la two droids from Star Wars that will pop up as easter eggs in other works like QoP? :D

Finally, thanks for the little ingame shout out, it brought a smile to my face. :)

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 5 Votes