[R>Artist 3D] [R>Programmer] Looking for 3D Artist and Programmer

Tsukani

Oct 14, 2023
Project
  • Project Name: The Descendant (OR Agent of the Nine)

• Style: The story takes place in a semi-fantasy world during the medieval time period (maybe); the plot fits into the Action, Adventure, and Romance genres w/ comedic moments.
    (PLENTY of H-Scenes too btw. Trust)

• Brief Overview: The story follows an 18-yr old Naos (default name), who has officially become an agent of the capital city. After learning about the ways of the Five Major Kingdoms, he finally understands what it truly means to have power in this world. His mentor has entrusted him with finding the answer to world peace, but is his faith misplaced??.. (No.)

• Story Goals:

• Pacing - I want to make sure that I balance out the story's H-scenes properly; along with telling the story in a way that's not too fast OR too slow.
      (^ big deal tbh)

• Decisions - I'm playing around with the idea of Multiple Endings, though it's still not likely to happen. Even so, I do want to make sure that your choices have actual consequences in the story at the very least. Could be a pain to write, but its worth it for sure.

• Plan and Progress:

• Plan - Currently, there are 3 Seasons in total that are planned to be released before moving onto another project.

• Progress - Early Stage; The prologue is completely finished and I'm currently working on the dialogue for Chapter 1 at the time of this post. For what its worth, I also have a general outline for the rest of Season 1.
Developer
  • Tsukani - A Patreon will be made after the release of the Prologue. (will also use itch.io at final release)

• Patreon Tiers have already been planned out, but I'm definitely open to suggestions after it is created.
Looking For:
  • Programmer - Someone who is comfortable w/ Ren'Py and confident in implementing a decent GUI. I've recently been inspired by the GUI in God's Call, as it really goes a long way for how it feels to play it.

• 3D Artist - Someone capable of making good renders and solid animations. Obviously not asking for 30 fps, but I do think a few frames (4) placed in a short loop would suffice.
Employment
  • Revenue Shares - PM for the Exact Splits
Work Commitment:
  • Generally speaking, I ask that you at least commit to Season 1, though of course, I would be happy to have you for longer!

• As far as work load is concerned, I like the idea of a part-time schedule, (at least 4hrs a day) as the main goal is to make decent progress on the game without stalling on updates.

That being said, I do think that there is a balance to doing 'enough work', without doing 'too much'. If you're like me, you may even split it up throughout the day to keep from burning out, but its whatever works for you.

• You can either send me a PM or msg me through discord - Username: tsukani9
Job Description
  • Programmer - Your job is as follows:

• Implementing a UI that makes the player really feel the fantasy in the world.

• Properly executing the auto-forward scenes; we really want to get the pacing right for each scenario.

• Double check. Please make sure there are no errors because of a 'missing image' lol.

• 3D Artist - Your job will be to create:

• Nice, fleshed-out scenes containing various characters, props, and backgrounds.

• Short but sweet 4-frame animations for most H-scenes
      (unless its an oral scene, then just 3 or so).

• Don't hesitate to improvise or be creative. I wrote guides in the script to help with setting up each scene/render for the most part, but it might get tedious to do ALL of it.
      Also there's a large cast of characters, so use everything you can find lol.

Planned Tags: You have to be comfortable with these tags in order to work on the project.
  • *VN
  • *Renpy
  • *3DCG (or 2DCG)
  • *Fantasy
  • *Humor
  • *Romance
  • Male Protagonist
  • Big Ass
  • Big Tits
  • Cheating (no NTR)
  • Creampie
  • Handjob
  • Harem
  • Milf
  • Oral Sex
  • Prostitution
  • Teasing
  • Titfuck
  • Vaginal Sex
  • Virgin
  • Voyeur
Optional Tags for Consideration: NOT in the game, but maybe if everyone is comfortable working with these.
  • Anal Sex
  • Blackmail
  • Femdom
  • Footjob
  • Futa/Trans
  • Gay (Trap)
  • Group Sex
  • Multiple Penetration

IMORTANT NOTES:
  • There are some things from the Asset and Releases forum that I like for this story and don't mind sharing after we get started.
  • Please mention if you aren't comfortable with anything in the tags if/when you message me.
  • I'll look into translations at some point, but I'm mostly looking to finish the season in english for now.
  • And don't hesitate to ask me questions. This post could honestly last forever lol.

Last edited:

yuyutsu

Mar 31, 2019
Hey, I am interested in being a part of the team as a programmer. This would be my first renpy project but I do have a background in game dev and programming in general. If you think I could be part of the team,dm me here or hit me up @yuyutsu._.k

Last edited:

CardinalRed

Amazing Dev
Game Developer
Sep 8, 2021
From what I understand, you expect the programmer to be the GUI artist? Also, an equal revenue split does not sound fair here

Tsukani

Oct 14, 2023
From what I understand, you expect the programmer to be the GUI artist? Also, an equal revenue split does not sound fair here
Realistically, I don't care who designs the UI art, and I should have said that. But the main thing with the programmer is making sure that it all ''looks right''. Surely you know that the typical artist isn't going to hop into Ren'Py, and code it himself depending on how complicated it is. But yeah, I'll edit the post to clear that up.

And please do explain why an equal split doesn't sound fair.

CardinalRed

Amazing Dev
Game Developer
Sep 8, 2021
Realistically, I don't care who designs the UI art, and I should have said that. But the main thing with the programmer is making sure that it all ''looks right''. Surely you know that the typical artist isn't going to hop into Ren'Py, and code it himself depending on how complicated it is. But yeah, I'll edit the post to clear that up.

Yeah, having the gui art beforehand and asking for it to be implemented is pretty standard.

About the shares, I find it very hard to find a good artist that will accept the same as the writer. Usually it's something on the lines of 60/25/15 for the artist, programmer and writer, respectively.

fooslock

Feb 15, 2020
Different (more/less valuable) skill sets, time investment, equipment investment, the opportunity cost of working on other projects, etc. A lot goes into pricing out different roles on the team because not all roles are equal. That's not to say you can't do even splits, and honestly, I would leave that portion to be negotiable until the team is together.

And yea, you need to have the GUI art done by someone else. The programmer just programs it in. Although you can adjust the GUI inherently to make it look different it still relies on GUI assets. Really going to depend on what exactly you want the GUI to look like.

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Yeah, having the gui art beforehand and asking for it to be implemented is pretty standard.

About the shares, I find it very hard to find a good artist that will accept the same as the writer. Usually it's something on the lines of 60/25/15 for the artist, programmer and writer, respectively.
Absolutely ludicrous how much you've undervalued the writer, especially in comparison to the programmer, who most likely would have a far easier, less time consuming, and quite frankly, less important role to fulfil.

Reactions: Tsukani

fooslock

Feb 15, 2020
Absolutely ludicrous how much you've undervalued the writer, especially in comparison to the programmer, who most likely would have a far easier, less time consuming, and quite frankly, less important role to fulfil.
Right, maybe he did, maybe not. It'd be a good discussion to have, as finding this topic is difficult in the forums; I'll join in if you create it, friend.

CardinalRed

Amazing Dev
Game Developer
Sep 8, 2021
I'd say that you are undervaluing the programmer as well, but what I'm saying is my general experience. Usually writers are undevalued.

Tsukani

Oct 14, 2023
Different (more/less valuable) skill sets, time investment, equipment investment, the opportunity cost of working on other projects, etc. A lot goes into pricing out different roles on the team because not all roles are equal. That's not to say you can't do even splits, and honestly, I would leave that portion to be negotiable until the team is together.
I think what you both are failing to understand is that this team situation does not necessarily fit into any generalized 'experiences' that you may have had. Yes, equipment investments can get quite hefty (trust me I KNOW ;)), but opportunity cost is just as much of a question for everyone else as it is the artist.

Not to be dismissive, but time investment is a bit of an obsolete point. The ENTIRE IDEA of the 'work commitment' section in the post (literally) is about everyone managing their workload and, you guessed it, TIME INVESTMENT.

My role in this (visual novel) is a bit more then just mindlessly writing some plot that anyone can come up with. Not only is the whole vision for this game mine to begin with, but I'm the one managing the patreon, community, music, 'extra' sounds, and project direction while writing the branching story. This AVN isn't just click-n-fuck, and the roles kinda reflect that.

Definitely agree that it should be negotiated though. I changed the post to reflect that. Thanks!

ihl86

Dec 8, 2019
I am answering from the perspective of someone who has been trying to finish their own VN and doing everything on his own.
The artist part is by far the most time consuming. Writing/programming could easily be done is 4 hours per day for each update, probably even 1 hour per day. The art part will not, unless your updates have very few renders or take months. Besides creating the scenes and the renders, you also want the artist to create everything else. Characters, places,... It takes a long time. Especially if you want it all to look good and at least somewhat unique and not the same as in any other VN.
That is why the artist share would always have to be the largest. Programmer vs writer, it depends on what needs to be done on the programming side. If it's a simple choice VN, you could probably do it yourself to be honest. It's not so hard to learn. Most of the code you need can be supplied by ChatGPT to be honest. Even the GUI part. There are also tons of written and video tutorials on everything. This way, you can split it two ways, you and the artist and it would all be more in the middle.
The writing part can make or break a game maybe even more then the art part (look at Acting Lessons, precursor of Being a DIK. It had mediocre renders but a good story made it completely stand out). That said, it could also go the other way, the artist could get out great renders, if your story gets lost in the multitude of others out there, his work is in vain. So yea, the percentages are tricky. If you had an already successful game and wanted an artist to come along and continue the work, it would be totally different.

Hope this helped.

Reactions: maelstromragex

Meliodas_100

Sep 9, 2021
Hey is the programmer position still open, if so would love to chat. you could give me your discord or message me on orewa_pain_da.

Tsukani

Oct 14, 2023
Thanks to everyone who viewed and replied, there were some interesting discussion that went on lol. Recruitment is finished, and I'm wishing everyone the best!

And yes I reported the post complete, but I just wanted to say a quick thanks :p