[R>Artist 3D] Share Looking for a 3D artist to collaborate with on a visual novel project [CLOSED]

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Hi,

I'm a professional writer, who has been working in the visual novel scene for over two years. Some of my published works include One Night Stand, The best days of our lives and Under the moonlight.

Currently, I'm looking for a 3D artist for my next visual novel project. You can find all the necessary information about my proposal below.

If you're interested in working with me, kindly leave a reply (or DM me) with your portfolio / previous works.

---

Project:

Zia is a modern-day witch, hiding in plain sight as a stage magician.

Follow the story of her daily life, as her two worlds slowly start bleeding into each other.

(At its core, "Zia" will be a slice-of-life, with a touch of suspense and some tasteful eroticism.)

[Note: Though the story will be fantastical in its theme, it won't need any "creatures" or "fantasy being" models, as almost all the magical beings in this story will simply appear in a normal human form.]

---

Developer: Arisushimake

---

Looking for: 3D Artist

---

Employment Type:
Revenue Share

Whatever financial support the game gains from patreon will be the only source of revenue for the project.

It will be shared 40-60 between the writer and the artist. (With 60% of the share going to the artist and the remaining 40% to me).

All payments to the artist will be made via PayPal only.

---

Work commitment:

In terms of development time, the project would be around 2-4 years long. (Depends entirely on how financially successful the project is.)

---

Job Description:

Depending on the size of each update, the game would need around 100-150 images (jpg/png files) per month.

(But if the artist wishes to do larger updates, I'd be more than happy to speed up the writing to match his/her pace.)

---

Additional comments:

- The game will be published on my patreon account and you'll have complete transparency in terms of every analytics, funding and feedback.

- If you wish to get a sense of my writing style, I highly recommend checking out the above mentioned One Night Stand and The best days of our lives.

- Once we both agree on working together, we'll move over to discord for all communication during the project development.

- Please feel free to let me know if you have any other queries.

Last edited:

PxGames

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Welcome back, my friend.

I know you won't be able to give up on this VN world so easily. Unfortunately, I'm working on another project, so I can't work with you again during this time. Hope you will achieve much success in your upcoming project.

Dear fellow artists, I have worked with this writer on 2 projects, and I highly recommend you to work with him, a very professional and talented writer. His games are all appreciated in terms of plot and story content.

Contact him and make a deal, maybe you'll get the game of a lifetime ;)

Stubbornstain

Apr 15, 2020
You say the following:
Depending on the size of each update, the game would need around 120-150 images (jpg/png files) per month.
Doing that many images in a month means that becoming involved in this project is likely to be a full time job right from the start, with no guarantee of a stable income for the artist involved. I'm assuming you are not going to want sprites that can be put on a static background and will want an entirely new prepared scene for each image of course. 120 / 1 month = 4 , meaning the artist will have to render - at a minimum - four images per day (for what you appear to describe as a "smaller monthly update").

Let's assume all of the characters used in a scene are all already perfectly sculpted and their outfits picked out (assuming they own the correct outfits). Then let's assume, rendering one HD (or better than standard HD) image takes exactly one hour (it will take less or more time depending on the strength of one's PC and what's in the scene). That's four hours of just render time in one day. I'd say preparing all of the four scenes for the four renders may take equally as long.

That would be an average of eight hours of work per day, working seven days a week, for what you appear to describe as a "smaller monthly update" (being in mind some months you will want closer to 150 images or even more). Then we have to remember that you want the artist to work like that for at least two years minimum, possibly as many as four. You goals look totally unrealistic to me: any artist is likely to suffer burnout working on this project.

Last edited:

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
You say the following:

Doing that many images in a month means that becoming involved in this project is likely to be a full time job right from the start, with no guarantee of a stable income for the artist involved. I'm assuming you are not going to want sprites that can be put on a static background and will want an entirely new prepared scene for each image of course. 120 / 1 month = 4 , meaning the artist will have to render - at a minimum - four images per day (for what you appear to describe as a "smaller monthly update").

Let's assume all of the characters used in a scene are all already perfectly sculpted and their outfits picked out (assuming they own the correct outfits). Then let's assume, rendering one HD (or better than standard HD) image takes exactly one hour (it will take less or more time depending on the strength of one's PC and what's in the scene). That's four hours of just render time in one day. I'd say preparing all of the four scenes for the four renders may take equally as long.

That would be an average of eight hours of work per day, working seven days a week, for what you appear to describe as a "smaller monthly update" (being in mind some months you will want closer to 150 images or even more). Then we have to remember that you want the artist to work like that for at least two years minimum, possibly as many as four. You goals look totally unrealistic to me: any artist is likely to suffer burnout working on this project.
No offense, but I requested those numbers based on what the artists I worked with previously delivered.

If anyone feels it's too high and wants to work at a slower pace, I'm more than open to the idea.

DavidLunch

Mar 14, 2022
It all comes down to the workflow, as well as how extensive the changes for those renders actually are. Considering this:
  • You have the characters set up, as well as the locations saved in a different folder
  • You have good render hardware
  • You use external tools like AI denoiser, Github etc.
  • You use Renderman's Renderqueue to render over night
  • You use pose packs to get the base pose right quickly, and then make small adjustments to fix poking or make new gestures
Then, you can set up scenes quite fast, especially when you utilize tricks like zooming in (means you don't have to bother with posing 80% of the body just to show a handshake, for example). Again, this heavily depends on how detailed the scene has to be, but a lot can be done with a bit of thinking ahead. Do you even need both people in the render? Do you need to show the full room? Can you set up four cameras for the same scene and end up with 4 usable images? Do you need a complicated lighting setup, or will an HDRI map create much more natural, and faster lighting?

At the end of the day, renpy and DAZ will always be a number's game and time saved directly equates to more product, better product without even sacrificing quality. Some renders that could easily take an hour to set up could just as well take ten minutes, and then you could quickly save five more scenes with slight variations of pose and expression.

Reactions: Arisushi

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
You say the following:

What you are describing is accurate. I work a 40 hour plus (emphasis on the plus) full-time job and then work on my game in my free time. I've averaged 40-50 hours a week on this game since I started on it around Christmas. I make progress on the game by staying up very late every night and giving up my weekends. I presently am making $42 a month on Patreon with no expectation of ever coming close to making a minimum wage on the hours I put in.

This level of commitment is common to successful indie game devs. People who want to do this need to have realistic expectations of what's involved. Otherwise their games will end up in the massive unfinished pile.

Tbh 120-150 per month is on the low end of production. As an example, Drifty also works a full-time job and is still putting out 200 still renders per week, plus he does his own writing, coding, and promoting.

dj0

Sep 30, 2021
Hi,

I'm interested in the project, I would like to know where or how do I contact you in private (dm, mail, other app?).
I would be glad to discuss it with you about this.

Reactions: Arisushi

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Hi,

I'm interested in the project, I would like to know where or how do I contact you in private (dm, mail, other app?).
I would be glad to discuss it with you about this.
Hi, I've sent you a dm :)