[R>Artist 3D] Share Looking for a 3D artist to remake/relaunch my visual novel [CLOSED]

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Hi,

I'm a professional writer - who has been working in the visual novel scene for almost three years now.

Some of my published works include One Night Stand and The best days of our lives.

Currently, I'm looking for a 3D artist to remake/relaunch my most recent visual novel project - Princess Colleen. (The previous artist went radio silent and it's been a while now.)

If you're interested in working with me, kindly leave me a DM with your portfolio / previous works.

[NOTE: Please read the information below carefully, understand the scope of the project and reach out ONLY IF YOU'RE 100% OKAY WITH dedicating AT LEAST 6-8 MONTHS for the project.]

---

Project:

Princess Colleen is a medieval political drama / adventure VN, with two main story branches, 4-5 sub branches, a fairly large size of cast (and multiple locations.)

You can check out the latest unreleased version of the game (here) to see if this is something you'd be interested to work on.

Note: In addition to writing, I'll also take care of the coding, testing and any necessary UI designs.

---

Developer: Arisushi

---

Looking for: 3D Artist

---

Employment Type:
Revenue Share

Whatever financial support the game gains from patreon will be the only source of revenue for the project.

It will be shared 40-60 between the writer and the artist. (With 60% of the share going to the artist and the remaining 40% to me) --- Negotiable for the right artists.

---

Work commitment:

Like I said above, this is a fairly giant project in terms of just the assets you might need. So, please be sure whether you can manage that or not.

In terms of development time, the project would be around 2-4 years long. (Depends entirely on how financially successful the project is.)

---

Job Description:

1. For starters, we'll need to redo the entire set of renders released so far
(in three batches - 0.1, 0.2 & 0.3 alpha)

We do not have any of the assets from the previous version of the game. So you'll have to make things from scratch.

And of course, during this part of the work, you need NOT stick to the current artist's style in any ways. You can put your own spin on things.

As long as the art matches the script, it can be completely redone in your style.

2. Once all the existing renders are redone, we can continue with the development of the rest of the series.

3. As for the release schedule, the most ideal plan would be to release a new update every 40 days (with 120-150 renders per update). However...

. If you can deliver more, I'd be more than happy to keep up with your pace in the writing as well.
. Alternatively, if your art is good enough and you prefer taking more time to achieve the quality, that can discussed too.

---

Additional comments:

- The game will have to be officially hosted and published on your patreon page (Mine is no longer usable due to changes in regional policies).

- All payments will have to be made via PayPal only.

- Once we both agree on working together, we'll move over to discord for all communication during the project development.

- Please feel free to let me know if you have any other queries.

Last edited:

HotX Studio

Feb 20, 2023
I believe it would be more feasible for you to search for a 2D artist, as to this day, 3D assets are still very limited for the medieval theme.

Reactions: Arisushi

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
I believe it would be more feasible for you to search for a 2D artist, as to this day, 3D assets are still very limited for the medieval theme.
I understand.

If I'm unable to find anyone interested in this project, I'll probably try asking 2D artists as well (just to be thorough).

Although, I guess the game will have to be restructured completely, (with the primary story being told through character sprites) as 2D artists will require much more time to draw the individual scenes.

But I'll cross that river when the time comes.

Reactions: HotX Studio

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I can almost guarantee the artist left because of the share amount. Setting up a scene, lightning, posing, rendering, etc. can take from anywhere between 20m to an hour. This is even ignoring finding assets beforehand.

Writing a dialogue for that same scene takes a minute max.

Now just view this from the artist point; you worked your ass of creating scenes (looking at the project the renders are pretty well done), it doesn't get much attention, and of the money it is making 40% is going to a writer that in comparison could have done the work you have done over months in a day or two.

Unless your willing to drop your share to literal peanuts, I highly doubt you will find an artist that would stick with you for the long run.

Sounds a bit harsh, but that is just the way it is. There is almost 0 reason for an artist to join a revenue share project in my opinion, unless the vast majority of income goes to the artist.

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
I can almost guarantee the artist left because of the share amount. Setting up a scene, lightning, posing, rendering, etc. can take from anywhere between 20m to an hour. This is even ignoring finding assets beforehand.

Writing a dialogue for that same scene takes a minute max.

Now just view this from the artist point; you worked your ass of creating scenes (looking at the project the renders are pretty well done), it doesn't get much attention, and of the money it is making 40% is going to a writer that in comparison could have done the work you have done over months in a day or two.

Unless your willing to drop your share to literal peanuts, I highly doubt you will find an artist that would stick with you for the long run.

Sounds a bit harsh, but that is just the way it is. There is almost 0 reason for an artist to join a revenue share project in my opinion, unless the vast majority of income goes to the artist.
I really appreciate you taking the time to explain your concerns on the matter. But I don't think I can quite agree with it.

My past successful collaborations with other talented artists (for the same/close enough revenue share) is proof enough that artists appreciate/value the writers' contribution too.

---

Note: The following reply is more of an explanation of my stance, than a rebuttal. (So, please know that it's not meant to be confrontational in any way :) )

---

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here.

Because, your way of "scaling things" would imply that the quality of writing doesn't matter AT ALL in the reception/success of a game.

(Now, one could argue whether the quality of "my" writing is good enough for that price.... I'd say yes, but I presume that's not the point of contention here.)

Also, your statement also comes off like - I write the first thing that comes to my mind and dust off my hands. (Because that's the only way one can write an entire scene in "a minute max".)

The number of hours we spend writing and rewriting stuff just to get the scenes right is much longer than one might think. (Again, it's not anyone's duty to be aware of that. But that doesn't change the fact that we're actually putting in the effort.)

In my case, by the time the previous collaborators worked on their first "scene", I was already writing the script for the 3rd "update" of the game.

So, even if you literally compare the hours spent, the difference (while present) will NOT be as big as you mentioned.

---

Having said all that...

I absolutely understand if any artist feels the share is not upto their expectations. (And I'm more than okay with reducing my share to 30-35% for the right artist.)

But to say writers can only find collaborators if they're okay with "literal peanuts" is a pretty skewed approach to the situation.

And as a writer who toils equally hard, if I don't value my own work, then how can I even expect my audience to do the same? :)