Ren'Py Looking for a City Map

Dec 22, 2021
So I am looking for a 3D or realistic City Map builder. I thought about using a Isometric or Top View (like the ones in Summertime Saga) version of map, but since the characters are 3D, I thought it would be odd to make a 2D map with 3D characters.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
Summertime Saga is hand made

you have to make your own by using photoshop or gimp or other image editor or use online City Map Generator but it won't look great or you can use rpg maker and take a screen shot of it

Reactions: The Rogue Trader

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
If you don't mind the ancient aesthetics, there's always . The good part? It exports as SVG, so you can customize your map in Illustrator/Inkscape as much as you want.
No isometry out of the box, so that's probably not what you are looking for.

I know that there are ways to "3D" real city maps, so you can steal one from OpenStreetMaps. I saw it done with Berlin, but I can't remember what tools are needed. One way passed from HTML 5.0 (IIRC, so probably not) and one from Blender.

Or you can, well, just build your city directly in Blender/Daz/whatever: there are tons of "city blocks" assets.

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
If you really want to make something unique and 3D, maybe try a free 3D CAD program like Sketchup. It's not hard to learn and you can still get the last fully free stand alone version (Sketchup 2017) from CNET or you can use the web free version at Trimble (never tried that one though)

What's nice about using this, is you can make a quick 3D city, and then you can pose it in any perspective and then export the view as an image, which you can then pop into Photoshop and tweek and use for you imagemap base.

Lugosi

May 16, 2021
Another easy option is to use

Premium isn't necessary but gets you more assets to use. I am using it for my map, major tip would be to use a real world map as a reference.

There is also a procedural map program for blender if that interests you.

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
While I never managed to use Inkarnate free version to draw anything good-looking enough, I think the greatest problem is that the OP is looking for a modern city map.

UncleNanard

I am to music what Kanye West is to adult games.
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2017
If I needed a modern city map, I would just use city skyline with a cheat code and take a good screenshot. :LOL:

Reactions: Kristovpher