[R-Play tester] Unpaid Looking for feedback on my game 3YoV, a light hearted fantasy/sci-fi adult interactive visual novel

Black Star Games

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2022
Gallery_Faye.png in Factory.png Intro_Fairy.png Intro_Moglin.png Kitchen_Day.png lw.png rapunzeal.png Simulation_Room.png VT_Transition.png fe.png
Project:
- 3YoV.
Short for 30 Year old Virgin is a light hearted adult interactive visual novel, that blends slice of life with fantasy/sci-fi.

How far along is the project? Definitely well beyond the conceptual stage but before where I feel comfortable with an official initial release.

What content to expect atm? Home, gym, factory, VLDF, and the donut shop are the only areas with content so far. Right now nothing is locked (locations, skills, inventory) but as I get closer to the initial release benchmark I will lock them appropriately when the triggers to unlock them are completed.

Developer:
- Myself, Kon from Black Star Games

Looking for:
- Play testers. Just be about 15~45 minutes of your time. Just want you to play the game, tell me what you did not like, things you would like to see changed and other general opinions/advice that I could use to improve future players experiences. Look at things like the game huds, art, concepts and dialogues and give me the feedback of your thoughts on what you seen.

Employment Type:
- Unpaid.

Work commitment:
- Just play the game once and let me know your thoughts.

Preferred method of contact:
- Discord: Kon#4389
- You can also send messages directly to me on F95 or reply in thread. I'll make sure to answer any questions/comments, as it is incredibly helpful to have feedback from other's perspectives.
Do not be shy to send me a message any time, about anything.

Job Description:
- Play testers.

Additional comments:
- If you tested my game from the previous time I posted here a bunch of things have changed since then. I got a lot of good feedback and improved the game from them. The game huds from the previous version was pretty unanimous were overbearing so I condensed them down to be less screen pollution. I reworked a bit of the intro as it honestly was poor quality (it was the first thing I made and I've learned a lot since then). I added the first major lore dump of the game which can be found at the VLDF on the map, it is by far the most renders I made for an event so far. Can't recall if the donut shop and gym were part of that previous release but they're minor areas and there as well.

Apr 21, 2022
First impressions, just based on the screenshots:
  • Those dark red freckles on the character in the first image look like a nasty combination of sunburn and Doritos dust. Try using a more realistic freckle color.
  • Also, the iris textures you used are kinda creepy. I know you're trying to make them look cartoony or magical somehow. There are better ways.
  • If you've changed the HUDs, don't just tell us about it, update the screenshots so we can see at a glance how the game has been improved.
  • Characters are stylized in an inconsistent way, making them look like they don't all belong in the same universe as each other. If one character uses Aiko, all characters should use Aiko or the male equivalent. The same holds true for any stylized, cartoonish, or anime morph. If one character has realistic skin textures, all characters should have realistic skin textures. This is how you achieve visual cohesion. For a project like this one, I'd almost recommend skins like the female in image 7, because it seems easier to modify into all the different skin colors you're using, but it's your call whether you lean realistic or stylized. The important thing is to pick a lane and stick to it. This is the type of decision that should be made decisively as early as possible, before production, so you don't have to redo as much work later.
  • I get that you're going for an aesthetic with the puple/green thing, but it feels like the green skews too yellow in the fairy screenshot.
  • Daz teeth, in general, always look hideous, but you have options. You can "plump" them with certain morphs or Displacement settings. You can make them glow slightly to override the Ambient Occlusion shadows between them. In a worst case scenario, you can close the character's lips. Whatever material settings the Moglin girl is using, they're working. Try copying her teeth materials to your other characters. If you already did that, there must be something about the lighting in that scene that's preventing them from looking like hideous grey fenceposts. Worst offender: fairy screenshot.
  • Lighting seems competent, but not great.
  • UX icons are whatever.
Seriously. Always update the screenshots at the top of the thread. Keep them current. When we click on this thread, the screenshots are what we use to decide whether we want to bother actually playing the game or not. If the screenshots, in general, are painful to look at, regardless of whether it comes from mismatched character styles or UI elements you've since replaced, most people are going to nope out of it rather than give you feedback. It's not the 15-minute time commitment that's the problem. It's the anticipation of 15 minutes of more of what we've seen in the screenshots. Put your best foot forward. Make us fall in love with your game the moment we first lay eyes on it. Don't give us any excuse to cringe and recoil in horror, unless you've seriously designed the whole game around that emotional core.

I can tell you've put a lot of work and a ton of varied assets into this, and there's a high-level concept somewhere in there that's dying to get out.

Enclosed, please find a humble paintover which crudely explores some of the concepts I'm talking about. I also did some color correction and added a little bloom, in the hopes of making the image as a whole read as "more stylized" in a specific direction. Apologies if you were deliberately trying to buck these visual conventions. If you can't afford the time it would take to re-render all the images this late in production, a color filter might go a long way towards "tying the room together" when you've got these mismatched characters and environments clashing with each other.

Paintover.png

Reactions: IrisSucc

Black Star Games

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2022
First impressions, just based on the screenshots:
The bloom thing was very interesting and something I do want to play around with in the future. I looked up quick tutorials on it and it seems a really cool idea.

The Daz teeth and irises are a good call out. Certainly something I can put a little more umph into, I do see what you mean.

Seriously. Always update the screenshots at the top of the thread.
Are they not at the top of the thread? When I created the thread I did intend for them to be at the top.

Characters are stylized in an inconsistent way, making them look like they don't all belong in the same universe as each other
You mention this a few times but unless I am missing what you mean about it, it is by design they look differently. Some characters hail from different worlds and some will come from different universes. I did want them to be unique in their own ways.

Hey thanks for the feedback though, its easy to tell you are very proficient in art. I'll try to employ a few of the tips you suggested in future renders.

Apr 21, 2022
Always update the screenshots at the top of the thread.
Are they not at the top of the thread? When I created the thread I did intend for them to be at the top.
Sorry. Let me rephrase that slightly. I think I emphasized the wrong point:

In the "Additional comments" section, you made it sound like you had updated the game but not the screenshots. I was just saying if you've improved the UI, you should take new screenshots to replace the old ones. In general, you should always update the screenshots when any visual change is made to the game that makes the old screenshots wrong.

You mention this a few times but unless I am missing what you mean about it, it is by design they look differently. Some characters hail from different worlds and some will come from different universes. I did want them to be unique in their own ways.
It's a fundamental principle of design. By "universe" I don't mean a literal universe, I mean the same visual style.

This is an example of characters designed by a professional studio. They are different species, from different planets, but from within the same setting. More importantly, they are all displayed in the same visual style:

Clone wars toon.jpg

Now here are (mostly) the same characters, but stylized differently:

Clone wars photo.jpg

You can see the obvious difference. Combine the two, and you've got nightmare fuel, as your subconscious mind desperately tries to figure out which character is normal and which ones are broken, distorted, disfigured mutants:

Anakins.jpg

Spiders manned.jpg

I realize Daz makes it easy for developers to just grab a bunch of morphs and mash them up together and see what works. But that's no way to make art. You're a character designer. Pixar wouldn't make half of their characters in a movie realistic and the other half cartoonish. Even in Toy Story, they made the humans so plastic and big-eyed and simplified, they almost looked like toys themselves. This was an intentional design decision. The point was to create a unified aesthetic for their story about toys coming to life.

Toys storried 2.JPG

Now, I get it. Same-face is an issue, especially in eroge design. But you can have visual variety without breaking style. I realize it's too late to re-render everything, but still. Just remember this for next time. It's 100% the difference between this:

and this:

verica-hupe-valzheimer-03-wtaclonesexpansionhiro3aiko3-popup03.jpg

Hey thanks for the feedback though, its easy to tell you are very proficient in art. I'll try to employ a few of the tips you suggested in future renders.
np good luck

Ifartedtoolong

Feb 27, 2022
I forgot how creepy looking this dude is. I can only see him as nothing more then comic relief like I would if I was playing a leisure suit Larry game as I can't see the MC as ever getting anything and can only see them failing forever. I did edit the word step out of the intro. I still think he's gay and I wouldn't be surprised if the MC and the orc start doing things together.

I did see one mistake in the old intro there were many spots where the text was too long which made some of the lines go off of the page but I see all but one spot is now fixed. But it could be caused by my characters name.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I also saw one other mistake here.

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Sorry. Let me rephrase that slightly. I think I emphasized the wrong point:

In the "Additional comments" section, you made it sound like you had updated the game but not the screenshots. I was just saying if you've improved the UI, you should take new screenshots to replace the old ones. In general, you should always update the screenshots when any visual change is made to the game that makes the old screenshots wrong.

It's a fundamental principle of design. By "universe" I don't mean a literal universe, I mean the same visual style.

This is an example of characters designed by a professional studio. They are different species, from different planets, but from within the same setting. More importantly, they are all displayed in the same visual style:

View attachment 1901092

Now here are (mostly) the same characters, but stylized differently:

View attachment 1901094

You can see the obvious difference. Combine the two, and you've got nightmare fuel, as your subconscious mind desperately tries to figure out which character is normal and which ones are broken, distorted, disfigured mutants:

View attachment 1901104

View attachment 1901105

I realize Daz makes it easy for developers to just grab a bunch of morphs and mash them up together and see what works. But that's no way to make art. You're a character designer. Pixar wouldn't make half of their characters in a movie realistic and the other half cartoonish. Even in Toy Story, they made the humans so plastic and big-eyed and simplified, they almost looked like toys themselves. This was an intentional design decision. The point was to create a unified aesthetic for their story about toys coming to life.

View attachment 1901111

Now, I get it. Same-face is an issue, especially in eroge design. But you can have visual variety without breaking style. I realize it's too late to re-render everything, but still. Just remember this for next time. It's 100% the difference between this:

and this:

View attachment 1901154

np good luck

I'm just gonna chime in with a small comment: What you say is in theory generally accurate... however it's not something that should be taken as a universal rule. I haven't played this game (I haven't played many lately - just no time these days) but he did mention different universes. You proceeded to show a whole mess of examples of characters all within the same universe.

For a good example of contrasting visual styles (Which was obviously intentional) look at who framed roger rabbit. Sometimes there is good reason to present multiple visual styles, as it's directly part of the narrative being presented, and works along side it. (While I am 100% sure there have been plenty of other times it's been done, I can't actually think of any at the moment because my brain decided to go on vacation).

So while in general yea sure you want to present a single visual style, there are absolutely times when it's ok not to, and that's usually when there is a narrative reason why they'd be different, and it serves to enhance that narrative.

Apr 21, 2022
I'm just gonna chime in with a small comment: What you say is in theory generally accurate... however it's not something that should be taken as a universal rule. I haven't played this game (I haven't played many lately - just no time these days) but he did mention different universes. You proceeded to show a whole mess of examples of characters all within the same universe.

For a good example of contrasting visual styles (Which was obviously intentional) look at who framed roger rabbit. Sometimes there is good reason to present multiple visual styles, as it's directly part of the narrative being presented, and works along side it. (While I am 100% sure there have been plenty of other times it's been done, I can't actually think of any at the moment because my brain decided to go on vacation).

So while in general yea sure you want to present a single visual style, there are absolutely times when it's ok not to, and that's usually when there is a narrative reason why they'd be different, and it serves to enhance that narrative.
Yeah, okay, you've got a point there. Who Framed Rodger Rabbit, Cool World, Space Jam, the live-action Sonic movies... I suppose an argument could be made for the Lego Movies... all feature Real Actors juxtaposed with cartoon characters of one sort or another. The Smash Bros series and Wreck It Ralph feature characters from different video game universes all teaming up or throwing down. Into the Spider-Verse and TMNT Forever even feature various iterations of the same character done in different art styles teaming up together.

These are exceptions to the rule. And on the surface, it sounds like 3YoV is doing something thematically similar. The problem is, it's not.

Each of those IPs I listed have one thing in common other than deliberately clashing character-designs: They're all massive, popular franchises that knew they could rely on audiences turning up to see their favorite characters. In that specific situation, drawing NBA players as cartoons for the whole movie would be a mistake. Making Mario and Samus have the same sized heads relative to their bodies would be a horrific distortion of one of the beloved characters. Putting Eastman & Laird Leonardo alongside 80's Leonardo and 90's Leonardo and then riffing about the tonal whiplash is the whole point.

I'd argue that there was an effort made to establish a unified design language in each of those cases-- you can see it the most clearly in some of the Smash Bros games, where Bayonetta's a little plumper or Mario's overalls actually look like denim. In Rodger Rabbit this took the form of painting the toons such that the would match the lighting of a scene, and practical effects of the toons constantly breaking or knocking over real-world objects. Anything that would ground them in the real world. Cool World might have skimped on this element a bit. (To be honest, I don't really remember much of that movie.) The Marvel VS Capcom games back during the Pixel Art era really emphasized this dedication to a unified aesthetic, painstakingly polishing popular characters into new forms that were a little bit comic book, a little bit anime, and a whole lot of brightly-colored, dramatically-flexing pixel art.

3YoV isn't a huge franchise like those other properties. We aren't already so acclimated to the characters that our attachment to them as icons is enough to override the Uncanny Valley Effect. So it can't as easily afford to do that kind of Hollywood/AAA victory lap. Black Star Games isn't mashing up two IPs and making as few compromises to either source material as possible. They're creating each character brand new, from scratch, and then telling us their names for the first time ever. We need to be able to fall in love with these characters. Maybe it's different for you, but for me, that whole process goes a lot smoother when my brain can relax and settle into a single art style without any body horror surprises.

But there's another elephant in the room, and that's the fact that 3YoV is a Daz Studio game competing in a landscape full of other Daz Studio games. One of the challenges of using these characters is the fact that everybody and their brother has already used them, and 90% of everything is crap. In order to stand out in that field, you have to make your game look as good as you can. I won't say that avoiding the Uncanny Valley Effect by using compatible models is the best way to do this, or even strictly necessary. I will say that it is the easiest step to take, provided one takes it early enough in development that re-rendering isn't an issue.

I stand by my previous advice. But I respect your opinion. There are certainly exceptions to the rule, and popular ones, at that. But being an exception to this rule isn't what made them popular. Rather, they got popular by following this rule, then they could afford to break it.

(I suppose the exceptions to that would be Rodger Rabbit and Cool World, which both introduced us to entire casts of new characters. But Rodger Rabbit benefited from its association with Disney and, to a lesser extent, Warner Bros, with constant background cameos of popular characters, while Cool World benefited less directly from the same connection by reminding everybody that Jessica Rabbit was hot and advertising itself as the cure for blue balls we didn't know we needed. By the time of Wreck-It Ralph, I think Disney/Pixar had had enough time to perfect the formula that they knew the exact optimal ratio of new-to-classic characters, so it's an exception to the exception to the exception. They also remade all the Didney Princesses in 3D with subtly tweaked head scales so Pochahonas could sit on the same couch with Merida from Brave and it wouldn't look especially werid. In fact, come to think of it...)

PrincessesRestyled.jpg
BAM. I rest my case.

Black Star Games

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2022
I forgot how creepy looking this dude is. I can only see him as nothing more then comic relief like I would if I was playing a leisure suit Larry game as I can't see the MC as ever getting anything and can only see them failing forever. I did edit the word step out of the intro. I still think he's gay and I wouldn't be surprised if the MC and the orc start doing things together.

I did see one mistake in the old intro there were many spots where the text was too long which made some of the lines go off of the page but I see all but one spot is now fixed. But it could be caused by my characters name.

I also saw one other mistake here.

nice catch on that typo and I didnt consider longer names, which is funny but something that could be a quick fix