Looking for opinion on character Design Asset.

Ghostrun

Jun 2, 2017
Hi whoever takes the time to read this. I've been a user here for some time but never had anything worth posting about, and maybe this also falls into that category. Anyway , I like playing around with Illusions Honey Select and doing a bit of writing, so after reading quite a bit here I think I'm going to attempt to make a small visual novel game . Not planning on a patreon or anything for it, just want to try something creative.

I have used Daz quite a bit but I find it slow for me personally to work with and I don't much like the models and don't want to fall into the trap of using pre-made characters that we see so much. I quite like Honey Select though, and while I've seen some games using it and older illusion titles for art, like Lab Rats and so forth I've never been terribly pleased with the quality shown and I think I can do better. Having said that, tastes are subjective and I might be too picky.

Anyway I've included a screenshot of a basic character under standard lighting, I would like to post an imgur album of various pictures just to get an idea of whats maybe good or what sucks, but I'm not sure if that's cool. So I thought I would start with one for opinions on the graphical quality ( ignoring the back ground I won't be using basic honey select assets for back grounds) and go from there.

Thank you for your time. 20170905191158475.png

zoomg

Modder
Nov 22, 2016
Surprisingly good, not a fan of hair though. But i'm a little biased since i don't like daz models too.

Ghostrun

Jun 2, 2017
Surprisingly good, not a fan of hair though. But i'm a little biased since i don't like daz models too.
Yeah that particular hair isn't great, it's too shiny in regards to the rest of the model, I just pulled that picture cause it had a bit of everything though it's a bit more explicit then I should have gone with... Can't go back on that though.

This is a more pinup like normal pic I guess. 20170924161633294.png 20180117155427337.png

PioTre21

Jan 22, 2018
I'm very impressed by these. And they're way more impressive looking than others I've seen using Honey Select.

I was wondering though how you managed this? Or how any one managed to pull their assets from Honey Select. When I downloaded it, I could create characters and stuff, but never knew anything besides that. Unless it's easier than I'm assuming.

(The middle pic looks like an erotic version of P.T. Silent Hill x'D)

Ghostrun

Jun 2, 2017
I was wondering though how you managed this? Or how any one managed to pull their assets from Honey Select. When I downloaded it, I could create characters and stuff, but never knew anything besides that. Unless it's easier than I'm assuming.

(The middle pic looks like an erotic version of P.T. Silent Hill x'D)

They are taken in the Studio using a Japanese lighting plug-in and such as well as a few other linear Lighting and image based lighting/skin mods . There are some English plug-ins as well that are a little less robust. The studio has a poser and is very easy to import unity assets into it, or really anything that can be be used as a unity asset.

The studio is nice because it's all there and can pose, animate and so forth as you like,without having to render. It's slow but no where near as slow as Daz and I like it cause Daz feels a little uncanny valley to me, where this is stylized enough to be semi-realistic, but not .. weird that's subjective though. You still need a fairly robust card to use the modded lighting and models/textures if you get heavy with scene objects and models, though it's mostly find for still shots.

The most difficult part is the initial set-up it takes a while to import mods due to conflicts and such, but once you get it sorted out it's fine. My folder for the studio in terms of assets is a little over 140 gigs now. It gives me a lot more freedom to design characters around a story though as opposed to trying to create a story within the parameters of Daz assets.

The middle hallway isn't great that was when I was still learning the lighting, pulling the lights too far lowers the shadow resolution and stuff, which I've probably spent the last month working on, the pinup picture has better long shadows and screen reflections I think, especially since you're dealing with the image in real time it just takes some patience adjust lighting configs. Weakest part is definitely hair, to try and get clarity causes issues with the lighting and taking it down a bit makes it less defined but I've mead some headway with that just adjust textures in PS. None of these pictures I would consider good enough to use in a game, it's just a general idea of the style. These are not enhanced in any way, they are taken straight from the engine at 4k and downsized to 1080 afterward for size.

Cyan

Jul 25, 2017
On your initial post, the character looks good. However I'd recommend posting a more... normal picture, so we can get a more accurate depiction of what your character looks like, before they are... disheveled. It might be hiding some underlying issues with the model that just aren't visible.

The second picture is way too dark, and the light is... really off. You can't see the girls face at all, and the shade from light->dark is almost instantaneous. It's a very artsy picture and looks good, but it doesn't look natural at all to me.

3rd pic is probably my favorite. It's artsy, the shadows work well, the poses look natural and comfortable. There does look to be a slight amount of clipping on the blondes hair, though that may be my imagination.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
For Honey select these are amazing. I can only think of one title with something even comparable, and If I'm honest yours might be better. Seriously if this is your art then you need to be making games. If you aren't a story person, consider looking for a writer, because with your art and a good story a game could do really well.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
On your initial post, the character looks good. However I'd recommend posting a more... normal picture, so we can get a more accurate depiction of what your character looks like, before they are... disheveled. It might be hiding some underlying issues with the model that just aren't visible.

The second picture is way too dark, and the light is... really off. You can't see the girls face at all, and the shade from light->dark is almost instantaneous. It's a very artsy picture and looks good, but it doesn't look natural at all to me.

3rd pic is probably my favorite. It's artsy, the shadows work well, the poses look natural and comfortable. There does look to be a slight amount of clipping on the blondes hair, though that may be my imagination.
To be honest, I usually find cumshots in games, daz, honey select, doesn't matter, to be underwhelming. I'm kinda glad that the first thing I see in his art is quality cum.

Reactions: Cyan