Ren'Py Looking for programmer. Other positions also welcome.

Sockeltz

May 2, 2019
I'm a writer and inexperienced programmer looking for people to help me make an Action/RPG on Renpy. I'm looking to make the fighting a lot like the battles are in Rance 6 if you've played that game.

As for the story, it's set on the Planet a kind of fantasy world version of the earth right before WW1. Our main character is a love-able bastard out to leave his mark on the world. His goals: steal from the rich, avoid impending war, and bang all the cute girls while he's at it. And he has got a wealth of magical power and a trusty seaplane to help him do it if he can only avoid the clutches of the royal navy, mutant pirates, viking cyborgs, and worse still his overbearing mother. The story is on the light side and I'm hoping more than a little funny.

I'm looking for writers who can right either very funny or very sexy stuff. I'm also looking for programmers. Any programmer will do because I'm still learning, but experience in python and Renpy would be best. Also open are people who know sound mixing and how to make BGMs or background art. The only job I'm not looking for any help with is character or scene art.

The story isn't at all set in stone and the project is still new so if you have a great idea I'm all for including it. I'm still working out the details right now so I can't offer anyone a salary, but if you want to work by the task I'm sure we can work something out. When I get a Patreon up and running there will also be profit share. If you want to ask any questions or are interested PM me or reply.

Kinks: Mind control, transformation, size growth, lactation, fox-girl, gender-bender (very little), incest, and other stuff that could only be possible in a fantasy world like twin-dicks. As I said I'm open to change or adding stuff so this list may grow.

Sockeltz

May 2, 2019
I posted this on reddit and there was some misunderstanding. I am ready willing and able to pay for quality work. This is my project and I don't expect people to work for free.

Kaizeron

VGM Producer
Game Developer
Apr 2, 2019
Hello. I am sadly not a programmer, however I do compose music for adult games, and would be interested in finding out more about your project. I have provided "Mythic Manor" and "Bones' Tales: The Manor" with some of my music if you are asking for any reviews. I could also send you samples privately if you wish ;).

Psycho-Dev

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2019
I'm working on my own project but I can also help you on your project as programmer, if you consider using GameMaker Studio 2, I personally don't like Renpy, though that would mean no cross platform releases since I don't have licence. I have lots of free time so I'd be happy to help. Also, I like Rance very much :D

Deleted member 323963

Not a Muggle
Game Developer
Dec 9, 2017
You only need a programmer for RenPy if you are going to make an interactive map, an inventory, an custom interface or things likr that. Otherwise, battles are just calculating some variables.

Doe you want one or more of those things? Then you need a programmer. Do you just have a few variables, like strength and defence, and do you want to fight against enemies with these two variables? Then you don't really need a programmer. However, you still need to figure it out, but it's doable.

Reactions: Alvidas

Sockeltz

May 2, 2019
Hey everybody I think I found what I'm looking for. This community has been a big help. If anyone still has any comments, proposals, or advice I'm happy to listen and respond.

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
Glad you met what you wanted.
Just one thing:
Action/RPG on Renpy.
Oxymoron.
Well, not really, but with Action-RPG usually you talk about a genre with real time action, like Dark Souls, Witcher and such.
Renpy is not the best engine for that kind of stuff.

I'm looking to make the fighting a lot like the battles are in Rance 6 if you've played that game.
Then you want a Turn Based-RPG
:)

Alvidas

Jul 2, 2018
How complex is this turn base impementation in RenPy?
Could you point me to an example please?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
If you can use RenPy, the easiest way to implement a turn based is a a variable with two states (0 = your turn, 1 = enemy turn), a character class that can be the same for the enemies that holds all the stuff you need (HP, Mana, Attack, ...)
When 0:
Choose attack and decrease his HP, set turn to 1.
When 1:
Yield for half a second or something, decrease player's hp, set turn to 0.

First one to reach 0hp or less loses.

Alvidas

Jul 2, 2018
Thanks for explanations.
*I see that you use Unity in your game. Any specific asset for 2d rpg?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Tiled and Tiled2Unity (Which is deprecated now, so you should be using in a new project) for maps.

The overworld sprites are a texture similar to RPG Maker, with up, down, left and right direction, split into cells (50x85 in my case) and whose animation is handled by the animator (Input and Walking).

Collision is doable within Tiled but I prefer to do it manually within Unity, the player movement is a simple script that takes the input, puts it into a vector2 to move the rigidbody (whose settings allow unity to handle collisions and make the player bump into solid things), the Z is otherwise unused if not for lighting and shadowing, also done manually.
The interaction is a raycast which is cast everytime the player presses the action key.

I also use A*pathfinding and a few fonts and sounds I downloaded off the internet, all of that stuff is in the "credits" category accessible from the main menu if you were to download the game.

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
How complex is this turn base impementation in RenPy?
Could you point me to an example please?
(list)

(same thread)