LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS

yasmin0211

Oct 19, 2017
Hello you guys. I'm currently interested in making a full life simulator game. So what engine should I make with? I also don't have any programming experience. Sorry for my bad English.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
probably xenko engine or unreal engine, unity is a joke

xenko can easily handle genesis 8 models and remain high poly, and the engine is now under the MIT licence

xenko tutorials and demo projects are rubbish though, just needs more people using it instead of the low poly no detail trash that is unity

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
xenko can easily handle genesis 8 models [...]
Warning here, because you can not use the models like this with the standard license. You need to acquire the models under the interactive license which obviously have an higher price.

Reactions: Winterfire

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I wanna make a game like Girl Life or Newlife. What engine should I choose?
Apparently they are both text game with few images. So, among others, , ( QSP) or .

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
Warning here, because you can not use the models like this with the standard license. You need to acquire the models under the interactive license which obviously have an higher price.
you make models yourself using morph's, then you only need a licence for the gen 8 basic skin, unless you create your own in zbrush or another tool

you don't need any licence when you export a static mesh to an .obj file with no data about morph's used to create it

worst, comes to the worst, you just be cheap and get a licence for skin builder, and have infinate skins for less money

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
you don't need any licence when you export a static mesh to an .obj file with no data about morph's used to create it
Standard License (aka ):
1.0 General License Agreement.
[...]
Restrictions on Copying. The Content is provided for User's exclusive use. User does not have the right to provide the Content to others in any form or on any media except as set forth in this Agreement. The Content may be copied in whole or in part for User’s exclusive use.

Terms of Use. Two Dimensional Works. [...]
Three Dimensional Works. DAZ wishes to encourage the expansion of the catalog of Content available to its users. Accordingly, User may access, use, copy, and modify the Content to create one or more derived or additional three-dimensional works provided that:
  • any such derived or additional three-dimensional works are designed to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with Content from the online DAZ store; and
  • upon receipt of a written request from DAZ, User will immediately cease any and all distribution of the derived or additional three-dimensional works User has created from the Content, if DAZ has determined, in its sole discretion, that (i) such additional or derived work is substantially similar to or is a clone of existing Content; or (ii) such additional or derived work fails to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store as described above.
The creation of three-dimensional physical representations [...]

If However,
You want to create an experience where someone can alter what is happening, such as an application or a video game that changes depending on what the user does, then such things will generally require access to information about the 3D assets so that it can move them around, alter them, and generally manipulate them to change the user experience.

This would not be covered under the standard and would require that you purchase an Interactive License for any of the content that you are using in this way. As a note: not all content offers an Interactive License option. This is a choice that the creators of each piece of content have and can choose to offer or not.
You can not use the meshes in a real time 3D application without the interactive license, new name of the Game Developer license ; it probably have been renamed because it was confusing since you can use 2D representations in a game, which is covered by the Standard License.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
Standard License (aka ):

You can not use the meshes in a real time 3D application without the interactive license, new name of the Game Developer license ; it probably have been renamed because it was confusing since you can use 2D representations in a game, which is covered by the Standard License.
that is if you use the skeleton which most engines won't do and you have to rig your own

either way, the main point is you dom't meed a licence for all 60 morph packs you used to create the charector from the g8 basic model

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Unity3D can handle "high" poly just fine as well.

I say "high" because genesis 8 is not really high poly, the poly of that character is pretty reasonable for today's standards (Unless you are making a MMORPG).

-edit-
And no, skeleton does not matter, the license is for the meshes (geometry), you cannot use that without a proper license.

Oct 19, 2017
Unity can Handle the G8 Models very well. They work pretty well with UMA for example. If you want to create your own morphs, you could also increase the Vert count into an amount where every PC crashes to get an incredible amount of Detail.
By using UMA you could split up the Body in single Parts(Meshes) wich each can have ~65k Verticies and its own 4k texture. But i would not recommend to drive it too far! ;D
There are also a lot of nice assets for Unity wich could be used for conversation, interaction, Quest-Systems etc.
Without any programming experience i guess it will be hard so set up some stuff for you, but as said there are a lot of assets where you dont need to know anything about programming.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
Unity3D can handle "high" poly just fine as well.

I say "high" because genesis 8 is not really high poly, the poly of that character is pretty reasonable for today's standards (Unless you are making a MMORPG).

-edit-
And no, skeleton does not matter, the license is for the meshes (geometry), you cannot use that without a proper license.
unity, will conk out, and turn any model into a joke if you use the free version, and cannot do AAA detail like the thumbnail

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Uh... Do not take it as an offense but only because Unity will not automatically set everything up for you does not mean that you cannot manually adjust it up if you know what you are doing.
Even importing from DAZ3D to Blender will not give a 1:1 result unless you use a plugin that sets everything up for you automatically.

-edit-
Also, the Unity Free edition is not limited compared to Plus/Pro:
You can easily get AAA details.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
i would'nt go for unity, if the devil paid me, every game on here sucks when it comes to looks & performance

xenko will run fine with tons of poly's onscreen and using vulkan as a renderer, and you just have to export a mesh as a fbx and inport and it will be a full textured static mesh for you to add the xenko skeleton to

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Well to be fair Xenko from the little I have seen in the link looks quite nice, I might give it a try someday.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
Well to be fair Xenko from the little I have seen in the link looks quite nice, I might give it a try someday.
the next version will probably takeover the world if they make it easy to start a real project with menu, saves etc like normal engines give you as a base project

Gauhl

Aug 28, 2017
xht_002 Unity can look very nicely, however most people on here don't have the experience to use the full potential of Unity. However engines like UE4 and paradox may look better out of the box. It doesnt mean they are by any means better. Your way is one way of doing things. It's not the only way.

Lookass

Aug 12, 2017

Guys, have you heard about this? This is developed by the Daz3d and uses a bit modified Genesis models. It does not require any license!

Gauhl

Aug 28, 2017
Looks nice for people that can't model stuff themselves. However I couldn't find anything about the license.

Oct 19, 2017
I fiddled around with M3D a while ago too and yes, its totally free. BUT they abandoned the Project for about a year and people were getting very angry, because they bought assets (cloth, hair etc.) wich didnt work and got absolutely no support... Not even Reply from the Devs.
The Devs then dropped the Project and made it open source a few weeks ago or so.
That means there is (for now) no community wich has done stuff for it. And as soon as you start modifying the model with a replacement from DAZ you need the licenses again.
However they also got an "artist tool" wich is pretty much in an alpha state for years now and aint working very well, but with this tool you can (if it works) create your own clothes etc.

The M3D models are... okay... but missing some "bodyparts" wich are needed for some Game-Genre ;) and also come with 4 different LOD Meshes. Still you have to setup the LOD system yourself, but it saves some work if you dont know how to do this yourself. Also the Texture(s) for the Body are one texture combined from the 4 different Textures DAZ provides, wich means that you lose a lot of Detail here.
One bad thing is, that they indexed the Meshes verts etc. for the Morphs in some big JSon Files and DLL's so if you want to add anything, or modify the Model it would mean a damn lot of work.

I'd still recommend to go with UMA for the Characters. Setting up a basic Character with the Free Morphs from DAZ (wich is pretty much what M3D provides) takes about 30 Minutes once you get it how its done and then the Models are ready to use in your Project. Additional Morphs and Clothes need some more attention but its still easy. Also UMA runs way better regarding performance. I did some testing with 8k textured animated Sub0 DAZ characters and the Frames are stable for about 60 Characters on Screen in VR and this is absolutely Awesome and more than you need in most cases (not in my case ;D)

So maybe get on your Ship and grab some DAZ Stuff and set it up for your Project and if you like it and it works well with your Project you can buy it and make it accessible to the Public in your Game.
The eG Patreon is not there to make you rich. It is there to monetise the Project so you can do things like buying Stuff for the Game if you cant do or want to do it yourself and want to get paid for the time you spend creating it ;)