Request Tutorial Looking for Tutorials on Chat Game Maker?

DoodleJoskin

Mar 7, 2023
On the website there's a guide but it is very limited and I have looked on Youtube but haven't found anything. Wondering if anyone has used it before? I'm a beginner and want to learn how to use it, the software was used to make Girlfriend Abroad Act I.

JamieSadistic

Dec 19, 2018
I've recently landed in the same boat. I'd love some tutorials on how to best handle the software. I have the basic premise down but still confused on how to do certain things.

DoodleJoskin

Mar 7, 2023
I've recently landed in the same boat. I'd love some tutorials on how to best handle the software. I have the basic premise down but still confused on how to do certain things.
Yeah, still no luck on my end, haven't found anything that could help. Hopefully some Knight in Shining armour comes along.

Reactions: JamieSadistic

I.S H

Nov 29, 2020
I tried using it and couldn't figure out how to install a game.

I ended up using ChatGPT, and we worked for hours together trying to figure it out. We ended up braking down the game to it's foundation, things I would have never done if not for ChatGPT, and we still couldn't make a game install.

The explanation is very simplistic, yet the execution even made ChatGPT say "This is a tough cookie" which I found funny.

To install games:

Step 1: Copy/paste the game (which should include a .js file and "images" folder) into the "CGM Player/games" folder.
Step 2: Open the "CGM Player/install-games-here.js" file and, where indicated, write the name of the .js file that you just copied in Step 1.
Step 3: Re-open CGM Player and you should see the game appear.

Please note:
If any two games have the same name, it's recommended that you only install one game at a time to avoid image-conflicts. This is because these games would share the same "CGM Player/games/images/[game-title]" folder.

But what you are supposed to do from the very beginning is open the Editor and make an application as the guide says so.

You make an application, make a new node, name it, add ~~Start and follow it with a conversation, and then close it with ~~End.

However, no matter what me or ChatGPT did, nothing worked. I even gave the whole Tutorial to ChatGPT which it said "It looks pretty straightforward". It guided me for hours through all troubleshooting, and we couldn't manage to get even a game that ChatGPT it self created as a 'Test' to install.

An advanced AI created a test game after it received the whole tutorial, it did everything better than I would have ever done, and it still didn't work.

I can't even find guides from users.

Last edited:

DoodleJoskin

Mar 7, 2023
I tried using it and couldn't figure out how to install a game.

I ended up using ChatGPT, and we worked for hours together trying to figure it out. We ended up braking down the game to it's foundation, things I would have never done if not for ChatGPT, and we still couldn't make a game install.

The explanation is very simplistic, yet the execution even made ChatGPT say "This is a tough cookie" which I found funny.

To install games:

Step 1: Copy/paste the game (which should include a .js file and "images" folder) into the "CGM Player/games" folder.
Step 2: Open the "CGM Player/install-games-here.js" file and, where indicated, write the name of the .js file that you just copied in Step 1.
Step 3: Re-open CGM Player and you should see the game appear.

Please note:
If any two games have the same name, it's recommended that you only install one game at a time to avoid image-conflicts. This is because these games would share the same "CGM Player/games/images/[game-title]" folder.

But what you are supposed to do from the very beginning is open the Editor and make an application as the guide says so.

You make an application, make a new node, name it, add ~~Start and follow it with a conversation, and then close it with ~~End.

However, no matter what me or ChatGPT did, nothing worked. I even gave the whole Tutorial to ChatGPT which it said "It looks pretty straightforward". It guided me for hours through all troubleshooting, and we couldn't manage to get even a game that ChatGPT it self created as a 'Test' to install.

An advanced AI created a test game after is received the whole tutorial, it did everything better than I would have ever done, and it still didn't work.

I can't even find guides from users.
Kudos to you for trying, you did a hell of a lot more than I ever did, the whole thing felt quite dead to me anyway with no youtube tutorials and no other documentation so might as well try and replicate it in renpy or twine.

I.S H

Nov 29, 2020
Kudos to you for trying, you did a hell of a lot more than I ever did, the whole thing felt quite dead to me anyway with no youtube tutorials and no other documentation so might as well try and replicate it in renpy or twine.
After a few days of none stop trying to get this thing to work, chatGPT asked me to copy all the contents of the .js file.

ChatGPT did something I never expected. It found multiple errors in the code, and it even told me that many Java codes wouldn't work because the developer didn't include them. So it asked me if I wanted chatGPT to re-create the whole code in order for it to work.

After it altered the .js code, it gave me certain codes to put into the InstallGameHere.js in order for it to work with the re-work chatGPT did.

Now I can create games, and I have a wider spectrum of codes I can work with. However I got stuck for a few days trying to figure out how to enable, and disable chats, and jump from one route to the other. That is not because of the engine, but a lack of personal experience when it comes to codes. I ended up deleting the whole engine after that, and decided to simply work with RPG Maker as it is far more simpler for me to work with.

Just ask chatGPT to re-create the whole .js engine code for you, and it will surprise you.
It can also provide you with a proper tutorial of how things work in the re-created engine as if you were a five year old kid.

I've never worked with Renpy, but I hear the engine needs vast knowledge of coding, which I lack.

DoodleJoskin

Mar 7, 2023
After a few days of none stop trying to get this thing to work, chatGPT asked me to copy all the contents of the .js file.

ChatGPT did something I never expected. It found multiple errors in the code, and it even told me that many Java codes wouldn't work because the developer didn't include them. So it asked me if I wanted chatGPT to re-create the whole code in order for it to work.

After it altered the .js code, it gave me certain codes to put into the InstallGameHere.js in order for it to work with the re-work chatGPT did.

Now I can create games, and I have a wider spectrum of codes I can work with. However I got stuck for a few days trying to figure out how to enable, and disable chats, and jump from one route to the other. That is not because of the engine, but a lack of personal experience when it comes to codes. I ended up deleting the whole engine after that, and decided to simply work with RPG Maker as it is far more simpler for me to work with.

Just ask chatGPT to re-create the whole .js engine code for you, and it will surprise you.
It can also provide you with a proper tutorial of how things work in the re-created engine as if you were a five year old kid.

I've never worked with Renpy, but I hear the engine needs vast knowledge of coding, which I lack.
I've already ditched the whole engine, no point in trying to squirm around and go through all that effort for an engine with no support. I feel renpy is a lot easier and python can be a forgiving code when you're trying to learn it, it will only intensify on the custom stuff you're trying to do but if you're making a linear storyline without some in-depth custom mechanics it should be smooth enough sailing.

Reactions: I.S H