[R>Programmer] Share Unpaid Looking for Unreal Engine developer (no experience is fine)

huliolopez

Apr 22, 2019
Project:
For a couple of months I've been working on an adventure game with some secondary combat elements. In a nutshell - imagine an "Aliens" movie, but instead of xenomorph eating colonists we have a substance, that is slowly mind-corrupting people. Depending on the person mental state everybody change differently. During the game rough people become more violent, greedy people become obsessed with money, depressed people are induced with suicidal thoughts, naughty people are changing towards sex maniacs and people without any dominant personality trait remain neutral. Goal of the player is, after things turn sour, to discover what the hell is going on and survive until the cavalry arrives while helping friends, or loosing it all and becoming the local Sarah Kerrigan.
Game is being built on Unreal Engine, blueprints only, no c++. I've already done some game mechanics stuff - inventory, quests system, journal with minimap, interaction with things, dialogs, basic combat system, some enemies with AI and now switching to making the actual gameplay.

Developer:
For now there are two of us. I am an experienced 3d generalist (Maya, Zbrush, Marvelous) and is responsible for programming part of the game (have one year of intensive UE4 learning, still doing that). A friend of mine is responsible for modeling and graphical part, she is also an experienced 3d modeler. There are also several people, who agreed to work on per-task 3d-modeling and VFX/rendering jobs.

Looking for:
I need a person, who knows Unreal Engine at least a little bit, to help me with making stuff. You don't need to be a pro, just need to know what's the difference between interface and abstract class basic things about blueprints communication, functions, interfaces etc - we can work from that. If you have good skills and can make stuff by yourself and pinpoint my mistakes - perfect, if not - I can explain.

Employment Type:
We don't have any funding, so I'm not able to offer any payments.

Work commitment:
I don't expect you to work more then a couple of hours, we all have things to do.

Preferred method of contact:
Discord: polnoch#1239, also have other messengers if needed. My timezone is Eastern European Summer Time (UTC+3)

Job Description:
In general I need help with populating world with actors, filling in item_infos, correcting timings in sequences, fixing my mistakes etc. Also it's good when you can discuss technical things with someone, without the need to go looking for an advice on Unreal Forum.

Additional comments:
Anyone is welcome for a friendly chat.

Kanalje

Jul 6, 2017
I've done a basic 2d game in unity got very limited experience with game engines. Got a masters degree in computer engineering and I'm good @ programming. Want to learn more about gamedev so could be a win win situation. Shoot me a pm if you'd be interested. To be clear my only skills are technical, can't do anything art related.

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Interface provide access to implementation of some functionality, without realize any of the provided functionality by itself, it only provide access to it.
Abstract class is just a class without realization of any functionality at all, just with template of virtual functions that in future need to be defined in child classes.

And also
blueprints only, no c++
Why not use c++? It not THAT hard.

huliolopez

Apr 22, 2019
You don't had to answer that - it was an old meme.
Why not use c++? It not THAT hard.
It's quite hard, when you are not a proper c++ programmer. Or it will be a big slowdown.
Unreal Engine's visual scripting is very powerful tool by itself, so why not use it?

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
It create code with not the most efficient algorithm for the current situation most of the times.

huliolopez

Apr 22, 2019
The aim of development is to create a product, not a good-looking code. There are no teachers who will give you a good mark for an efficient algorithm, only customers. And they don't care.