• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN - Ren'Py - Completed - Love Notes [v1.0.2] [Winter Wolves]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Orphanus

As much as I like the theme of the game, the execution i find sorely lacking.

There is nothing deeply wrong with the game, the writing itself is pretty alright, the visuals mostly are pretty decent as well, the characters seem alright, there is a variety of loveinterests, no tedious, grindy game mechanics like other WW games have, the story isn't bad either.

Sadly that's about it, the game is alright in basically all regards, but it isn't really special in any way, shape or form. And it also isn't exactly what I would call good.

After some consideration I came to the conclusion that everything feels more like a template, not like a finished product. The scenes tend to be very short, but are split over weeks, creating a weird pacing and also are quite "jumpy", as if all the groundwork and general key points of the story had been laid out, but for some reason someone decided to just publish them as the full game.

The point that I find the most disappointing, though, is that there is a distinct lack of scenes where the love interests (with 1 exception) or the player character directly drink blood from each other. This was quite a let down with Valerie's (crimson haired girl on the main picture) route especially, and it borderline pissed me off in the vampire ending, because the scene instead is just generic and quite weird, reading like something I'd write if I wanted to mock people finding eroticism and or/romance in vampire's biting. If that was in tune with the rest of the game I wouldn't mention it but it's not.

To emphasize why that is such a problem in my eyes let me point out that:
    a. drinking each other's blood is a thing in the game, it's just not made use of in a good way
    b. WW are notorious for not including explicit content, but having adult themes in general, and they do in fact bring biting and blood drinking up in such a manner, so why, why on earth do not capitalize on the fact that images where a love-interest bites the player character (or vice-versa) wouldn't be explicit and still display a moment of deep intimacy? That should by no means be exclusive to 1 character

This leads back to my critique of the ending scene, which has barely any individualization for the different routes, specifically if the player decides to go vampire: Instead of the respective love-interest draining the player and feeding them their blood (which, on paper, is done beforehand, but more about that in a second) the two vampire npcs "tear large chunks of flesh" out of the player character so they can just bleed out, clutching their wounds, surrounded by everyone. What should have been a moment of the highest intimacy is turned into a rather dissatisfying scene that also would probably make a lot of people not overly keen to see any of the people involved for quite some time.

The issue with that whole thing is that it's obviously written that way because not all potential love-interests are vampires. For example a mummy of sorts doesn't really drink liters of blood. And here I refer back to the part about the player character having drunken enough vampire blood over the course of the game to not specifically requiring a vampire to finish the procedure: Any love-interest could have just let the player character bleed out, meaning they each could have had their own ending scene.
    Instead they each get a "big" (well, it's actually really short) romance scene right before the ending, some vaguely spiced cg's, an achievement and then some slightly personalized lines in the ending, as well as a bunch of generic ones (you see short ending text for each of them, basically).

In the end the game is medicore overall, doesn't make much use of it's theme, has some fanservice for people who enjoyed Love Bites, and is simply rather short, feels disjointed and as if it was either made in a rush or without much love, which is kinda ironic, given the title.