Daz Poser Low Budget Apartment

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Hello everyone,

i just like to reach out in hopes someone can explain to me how to light that asset.
In the meantime i lid it with my own lights but the provided lights don't seem to work or maybe i don't understand them.
This asset is ass old and all i see is ambient lights. There is no surface i can manipulate.

Why even use an old asset. Well, this asset has the look i was looking for. It's a tiny flat that looks like lot of European flats.
It is important to me to have a certain vibe to create some story. Most asset i have seen on the DAZ store look more like for affluent people.
That is my main reason. And i don't mind to use really old crap as long as it looks ok.
The bricks are oversized but thats an easy fix. (for outdoor shots)

I mainly want to learn what to do when you are using an older asset that was made for something else.

Thank you so much

Got to rethink that. It seems the inners don't work at all. No viewport. Kitchen did work. It's just dark or render.

Last edited:

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
You might just have an easier time clearing out all the 80's stuff from and adding your own cheaper looking stuff.

Either way: First and foremost, I'd get some plaster shaders for the wall and maybe for the wood, if your VRAM can afford it. That's pretty bad, even by 2014 standards. Turn off all of the default lights that came with the asset and use Ghost Lights inside of the hanging lamps. That would probably be the easiest option. That or grab a plane, scale it down and fit it in the hanging lamps and then make it an emissive.

That's basically what I did for this by Ansiko which came out around the same time. I re-surfaced everything PBR textures and used ghost lights for all the hanging lamps:

mc_oldn15.png

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
You might just have an easier time clearing out all the 80's stuff from and adding your own cheaper looking stuff.

Either way: First and foremost, I'd get some plaster shaders for the wall and maybe for the wood, if your VRAM can afford it. That's pretty bad, even by 2014 standards. Turn off all of the default lights that came with the asset and use Ghost Lights inside of the hanging lamps. That would probably be the easiest option. That or grab a plane, scale it down and fit it in the hanging lamps and then make it an emissive.

That's basically what I did for this by Ansiko which came out around the same time. I re-surfaced everything PBR textures and used ghost lights for all the hanging lamps:

View attachment 2250508

I noticed that my DAZ has some problems. My WASD keys don't work anymore and iray viewport neither.
So it may not been the asset.
Anyway, yes. That is what i am doing right now.
I like complete assets. The messy one is actually great. Lot's of potential. At the moment i have Euro-Apartment (again).
But yes, i grabbed all the weathered, dirty shaders i could find to apply them. Though i have to experiment with them. Not all looks actually great. Some are tiles, or all. So it looks a little strange.

II have to experiment to find the right vibe.

Kind of wished i could do my own assets but it would take too long. So now i have to spend really some quality time to customize the asset i am planing to use.
It should be looking rubbish in a good way. :)

Zargon_games

Creating Games
Game Developer
Jan 22, 2020
Hello everyone,

i just like to reach out in hopes someone can explain to me how to light that asset.
In the meantime i lid it with my own lights but the provided lights don't seem to work or maybe i don't understand them.
This asset is ass old and all i see is ambient lights. There is no surface i can manipulate.

Why even use an old asset. Well, this asset has the look i was looking for. It's a tiny flat that looks like lot of European flats.
It is important to me to have a certain vibe to create some story. Most asset i have seen on the DAZ store look more like for affluent people.
That is my main reason. And i don't mind to use really old crap as long as it looks ok.
The bricks are oversized but thats an easy fix. (for outdoor shots)

I mainly want to learn what to do when you are using an older asset that was made for something else.

Thank you so much

Got to rethink that. It seems the inners don't work at all. No viewport. Kitchen did work. It's just dark or render.
When you work with such an old Poser asset, most likely the textures are 3Dlight (not Iray) and none of the lights work properly, but everything has a solution! There are many ways to light a scene, I would say that there is one method per developer haha, but to make it simple I would say to create a ghost light that covers the entire ceiling of the room you want to illuminate, this will be your source of ambient light, not too bright but that allows you to see all the details of the room, and then create spot lights to highlight the details that you want to be the center of attention. You can also create point lights or emissive spheres to put inside the lamps to simulate that they are on, or change the textures of the bulbs to iray-emissive in order to illuminate them.

There is no manual to follow step by step, there is a lot of trial and error to learn how to use Daz, but I hope this guide will help you to get started.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
When you work with such an old Poser asset, most likely the textures are 3Dlight (not Iray) and none of the lights work properly, but everything has a solution! There are many ways to light a scene, I would say that there is one method per developer haha, but to make it simple I would say to create a ghost light that covers the entire ceiling of the room you want to illuminate, this will be your source of ambient light, not too bright but that allows you to see all the details of the room, and then create spot lights to highlight the details that you want to be the center of attention. You can also create point lights or emissive spheres to put inside the lamps to simulate that they are on, or change the textures of the bulbs to iray-emissive in order to illuminate them.

There is no manual to follow step by step, there is a lot of trial and error to learn how to use Daz, but I hope this guide will help you to get started.
Oh yes.

Well, my first problem is, that for some reason the iray viewport doesn't render.

Originally i thought it's the asset but i think it's not. Probably need to flush the cache.
Strange, the viewport flickers.

Anyway, i did a scene in this tiny kitchen and used spotlights and planes. This worked quite well actually.
I just always have problem with lumens. I think somewhere it said if you turn the expore to 11 you can use more real life lumens.
I think of it as a learning experience.
So i will try again and see what i can do. What i can say is that the provided cameras are all off and some of the textures.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
So i will try again and see what i can do. What i can say is that the provided cameras are all off and some of the textures.
Just as many say not to use the included lighting in environment assets, you shouldn't use included cameras, either. It's better to start with a fresh one and adjust as needed.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Miss fortune and Zargon's advice is correct.

However, one other possibility is that there are "shader converter" scripts that attempt to auto-convert old 3delight materials to Iray. They are not perfect but can be easier than individually finding and applying materials. This one was only just released on daz official (have not tried it myself): https://f95zone.to/threads/advanced-material-converter.141410/

Iray not working: did that old poser asset come with an "environment skybox"? I have had that mess up iray before...

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Miss fortune and Zargon's advice is correct.

However, one other possibility is that there are "shader converter" scripts that attempt to auto-convert old 3delight materials to Iray. They are not perfect but can be easier than individually finding and applying materials. This one was only just released on daz official (have not tried it myself): https://f95zone.to/threads/advanced-material-converter.141410/

Iray not working: did that old poser asset come with an "environment skybox"? I have had that mess up iray before...
Oh no.
Did i killed it? How can i restore iray?

I don't know how the light box looks like but it does come with it's own light. So perhaps it's correct when it uses 3Delight and Iray just gave up.
I just have to figure out how to reset it and more importantly, how to not make the same mistake.

Last edited:

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Just as many say not to use the included lighting in environment assets, you shouldn't use included cameras, either. It's better to start with a fresh one and adjust as needed.
Yes, it was more of a test but it is save to say that these things will not work. I am not sure if thats a translation thing between poser and daz.
But yes, better not use it.