flannan

Dec 15, 2022
Honestly it's not actually worth setting up a base early on. Just gather the rocks/sticks/bushes you need to make an axe/pickaxe, then chop trees and make a wood workbench. Then make a spear. Store your bed/campire/workbenches in your backpack (opened from menu on the right).

The spear is suitable for beating all the early bosses. The order I do things (reference the guide in the OP) is:

Go east as Yona and beat Old Man, Takumi Fight 1, and Takumi Fight 2. Get a point in health regen and put the rest in "smash" for now. Grab the schematics for the plant workbench in the swamp and if you're feeling comfortable with the combat by this point then go ahead and kill the swamp boss "Planton" and grab his biome gem.

Then warp back to starting camp and kill "Spike" and "The Native Boss". This will unlock the ability to actually place your base in a location of your choosing. NOW you can plop down a Leaf Mascot and build to your hearts content if you like.
I think this strategy will only work on your second playthrough, when you are already familiar with the fighting system and with what loot is worth keeping.
And even so, I'll need to tame a deer to satisfy my hoarding habit when wandering. Or I'll need to build a lot of chests to squirrel away loot as I go.

Maxwell404

Mar 10, 2018
Ok wtf am I supposed to do. I drop in, I find a spot to base, I create a bonfire, leaf house, and a wood chest. I go to sleep to recover my health and I get raided by 6 male raiders and 1 big bruiser dude. And now they hang around in the area. How the kark am I supposed to play the game when I get raided on day 1 and can't even get my basics down? My combat sucks because I get killed at the beginning of the game even Rust gives you a chance to get set up first.
Tip for fighting enemies always have to stop to swing at you and they get locked in place and can't turn so best case scenario kite the enemies if they're in a group into one blob and then run through them. They will then try to swing and be locked in an animation giving you time to hit them on their back once or maybe twice, then start running again and repeat. If you're worried about base raiding build 3 or 4 walls so that they target it and get so caught up hitting your wall they pretty much do nothing when you go behind them and start stabbing them.

Aug 13, 2020
-but even when they do kill me they just hang in the area and if I move somewhere else the game spawns another raid.-
To beat early raids just chop trees and make 2-3 spikes, place them and kite the enemies back and forth. The game spawns native raid scouts fairly often but they're a minor nuisance after you figure out the mechanics. You can even get seeds, iron and exp berries from them.

About diamonds, raids are still better specially with the new totem. You get 1-2 fighter orbs from red armored natives, so basically one or a half diamond for every raider you kill, and you kill them en masse in a matter of minutes. I haven't tried it but natives work naturally slow, putting them on northern mine stations would take much longer to generate a similar amount. I wasn't even trying and still got so much dia's that they're now piling up as I don't use them for anything past top tier gear and the occasional chest.

Reactions: John8r9

Denkader

Aug 13, 2024
So I've been playing Mad Island for some time now (around 200 hours already!) and I absolutely love it! Such a cool game. Still, there are a couple of things that puzzle me.

1) I have three NPC's that got killed for one reason or another, and I'm wondering if there is a way to resurrect them? What prompts this question is that I noticed they're not marked as 'dead' but as 'down' so I thought maybe there's a way to bring them back? Or are they permanently lost?

2) How the hell do I get a "hard wood pickaxe"? Game keeps telling me I need that to get the bloodstone in the underground cave or to get chaos ore from the purple zone, but I can't find that tool in any of the workbenches??

Thanks, guys! Enjoying this thread.

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
1) I have three NPC's that got killed for one reason or another, and I'm wondering if there is a way to resurrect them? What prompts this question is that I noticed they're not marked as 'dead' but as 'down' so I thought maybe there's a way to bring them back? Or are they permanently lost?
If they were just natives then they are dead permanently. They got captured during a raid and you didn’t save them in time thus they were killed.

Denkader

Aug 13, 2024
If they were just natives then they are dead permanently. They got captured during a raid and you didn’t save them in time thus they were killed.
No capture involved. The first was a big native I set up as a guard and he got killed during a raid. The second I don't remember what happened, but the third got killed by another NPC following an "unrequited love" situation :eek: I had no idea that could happen! LMAO. Now I'll be more careful about those warnings. Just glad it wasn't my favorite of the two who got killed, that would have pissed me off. Still stings though.

John8r9

Dec 25, 2018
How the hell do I get a "hard wood pickaxe"? Game keeps telling me I need that to get the bloodstone in the underground cave or to get chaos ore from the purple zone, but I can't find that tool in any of the workbenches??
if u r trying to get blood stones and chaos ores, bring iron pickaxe.

John8r9

Dec 25, 2018
No capture involved. The first was a big native I set up as a guard and he got killed during a raid. The second I don't remember what happened, but the third got killed by another NPC following an "unrequited love" situation :eek: I had no idea that could happen! LMAO. Now I'll be more careful about those warnings. Just glad it wasn't my favorite of the two who got killed, that would have pissed me off. Still stings though.
are they still inside your friend list tho? if they are, they can wake up with 1hp after a period of time

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
People, do you know where I can enter the game gallery?
Shift p on the main menu
If they where on your list like John said then they will get back up.

Rorota579

Apr 21, 2020
2) How the hell do I get a "hard wood pickaxe"? Game keeps telling me I need that to get the bloodstone in the underground cave or to get chaos ore from the purple zone, but I can't find that tool in any of the workbenches??
You get all of them from steel workbenches
You can farming hard wood and chaos ore in purple area using steel axe and steel pickaxe
After that, find lot of diamond to craft diamond axe and diamond pickaxe, you got hard wood pickaxe from combining both diamond tool

4.50 star(s) 54 Votes