Making a game if you hate coding?

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
At least for text and VN-type stuff, Renpy is very easy to pick up for a non-coder. Most of it is literally just normal written text. Your average line looks something like this, if not even simpler;
Sarah uncomfortable "Um, it's just, things naturally try to return to equilibrium. So, hypothetically, you could take forty-nine percent of someone's soul, and it would eventually grow back. Though it might lose information along the way, which could interpolate that data with errors or alterations..."
If you want to make a game game, like a full on RPG or Vampire Survivor clone or whatever... I don't think there's a way around putting in some real effort. Learning is the easiest part of making a serious game, compared to the discipline, planning, and focus needed. It's a project you're going to be working on for a few years.

If you have the time and discipline, you don't need to hire a coder or take expensive lessons to make it work. I didn't know jack shit about Python, or really any coding language, when I started - I learned as I went. I still have a lot to learn, but I bumbled my way through a shitty RPG system, and have slowly been refining it ever since.

Best thing I can say is to cultivate discipline, not motivation. Motivation is great when it's there, and useless the rest of the time. Nothing other than hard work and dedication will make a good game.

Jaster42

Feb 14, 2018
The sucky part is that to get these games you either need money to hire someone to make then, or the skill to make them yourself. And if your poor and unskilled... you see my point?
People suck at everything that they haven't invested the effort to learn. When I started playing table top war games, painting was often a requirement, so I taught myself how, and honestly prefered it over the game itself, and worked for years as a commission painter. You just gotta dive in, and accept you'll suck at it for a while, but make a few products, learn and iterate, return to the subject matter you like once you feel like you've got your feet under you (and honestly again and again, because each time you iterate you'll get better and think your old stuff sucks).

Reactions: woody554 and GPoint
Jan 26, 2024
Only one I can think of is Ren'Py, since you already crossed RPGMaker out. You could always go the unique route and make one with Scratch, who knows.