Making a renpy game to learn. Would you appreciate if released?

xeratios

May 13, 2020
So i've been thinking about creating a renpy game for myself, as i enjoy creating characters & scenes.
I have a ton of ideas for game scenarios / stories and i think it would be fun to put them in a game.

However, i am a noob at both the art and the programming with renpy. It was only last year that i've really started educating myself.
While i am getting better, i lack the motivation to get to things most of the time.
So i was thinking of creating an actual game, and releasing it here, creating a learning environment for myself.. To hopefully have more people enjoy the work.

But ofcourse i'm wondering, would you appreciate it if i, as a noob programmer / designer released my game that will obviously not be very polished?

I've got a lot of spare time to sink into this, and that probably wont change anytime soon.
And i'm also not looking to make money out of it, it'd purely be to give myself an extra motivation to keep creating.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
noob at both the art and the programming with renpy
No one is going to mind you giving it a shot at creating a game. I don't know if you are planning to just have it here on this site or if you are thinking about a subscriber site or similar - but you are going to want to be VERY upfront and honest about your game unless you want what time you do put into it to get hypercriticized all the time and have expectations on your game that you know you can't match.

While i am getting better, i lack the motivation to get to things most of the time.
And this tells me all I need to know. Everyone. I mean EVERYONE is going to hypercriticize your work, insult you, troll you if this is the case.

Your best bet would be to complete a short, fulfilling, enjoyable game (yes, to version 1.0) as a show of good faith in your ability and initiative.

If you don't have talent
If you don't have skill
If you don't have resources
Make sure you have motivation

You have to learn to motivate yourself.

xeratios

May 13, 2020
No one is going to mind you giving it a shot at creating a game. I don't know if you are planning to just have it here on this site or if you are thinking about a subscriber site or similar - but you are going to want to be VERY upfront and honest about your game unless you want what time you do put into it to get hypercriticized all the time and have expectations on your game that you know you can't match.

And this tells me all I need to know. Everyone. I mean EVERYONE is going to hypercriticize your work, insult you, troll you if this is the case.

Your best bet would be to complete a short, fulfilling, enjoyable game (yes, to version 1.0) as a show of good faith in your ability and initiative.

If you don't have talent
If you don't have skill
If you don't have resources
Make sure you have motivation

You have to learn to motivate yourself.
Thank you for the fast reply!

I do agree with you, and in case i do create a game i will make it very clear that it will be intended as a learning project, and not a fully fleshed out game that will be sold.

As far as motivation goes, having even just a few people checking it out would be more than enough for me to continue doing it. Right now the reason why i lack motivation is simply because i don't do anything with whatever i'm creating at the time. I'll spend hours on a scene.. put it in renpy with some characters and.. well that's it.

I often see people being criticized for not finishing their games, which is one of the reasons i'd like to do this. Time is one of the few things i have plenty of :p

Reactions: Count Morado

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
But ofcourse i'm wondering, would you appreciate it if i, as a noob programmer / designer released my game that will obviously not be very polished?
I went into Daz and Ren'py as a complete noob at both, and made it clear at the beginning that there would be a lot of learning/issues/improvements along the way, and I'd say I'm doing fairly well at this point (not fantastic by any stretch, but good). Most will be fine with that, and will likely adjust their expectation accordingly. Just being transparent about the process will go a long way.

The thing is, unless you're making a sandbox game (and with experience/practice, I'm sure it isn't super tough, just harder than a standard VN style.), Ren'py is easy to pick up for most. Most of the work'll go into the renders/art. I think a big part of the motivation is to write about something you know and enjoy, or rather, including it into the story somehow. It'll make things easier to write, and of course, more enjoyable for you in the end. Make a short VN with an ending or two, probably three at most. Play with the tools you have, get out of your comfort zone and experiment within it. (a good example of this being Hello World by PowerPlower, imo. A couple different endings, strong renders and writing, etc. Short VNs are a good way to find your groove and style.) Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm usually having the most fun when I'm challenging my abilities.

Reactions: xeratios

Milksmith

Apr 14, 2022
Maybe you underestimate yourself, and your games will have something in them that will draw people in.

S Key

Dec 1, 2020
The thing is, unless you're making a sandbox game (and with experience/practice, I'm sure it isn't super tough, just harder than a standard VN style.), Ren'py is easy to pick up for most. Most of the work'll go into the renders/art.
Ditto to this. Ren'py is super straight forward even if you're unfamiliar with coding. It's a lot like writing a script for a play or a TV show actually.

With any tool, there's always going to be a lot of features. And you might be tempted to jump right in and try to use everything. I really urge you to start small with a few things and take incremental steps to add the stuff that interests you.

Now go out there and make a game!

Feb 16, 2022
You should also check out this thread.
https://f95zone.to/threads/questions-about-starting-a-carrer-on-game-development.113723/

As for learning, you can learn from playing a renpy game and from it's code
for example check this one out and yes you can use the code for your own stuff. The game is a public domain license (CC0)

This other is free to use as well. Maybe you want to create a game with a hub that has a morning shift, afternoon shift and night shift.

" "

Last edited: