Jun 30, 2017
I just have started learn on using renpy
My goal is to make some kind of clone game like lifeselector one
My question is :
1.Is there a way to customize the choise menu to make it looks like
pg18974_03_720p_04_05.jpg
instead of this
Screenshot 2023-05-29 080814.jpg

2. Is there a way a to play mp4 file in renpy / renpy support webm extension only ?
3. Is there a way to detect end of a video file ?

I would like to learn any of you guys advice
thank you in advance

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
1.Is there a way to customize the choise menu [...]
Yes, and the answer is in the documentation that come with Ren'Py SDK.

2. Is there a way a to play mp4 file in renpy [...]
Yes, and it's said in the documentation that come with Ren'Py SDK.

3. Is there a way to detect end of a video file ?
Yes and no. There's no way to do it, but to some exception there's also no need to do it.

I would like to learn any of you guys advice
Well, my advice will be simple: Read the documentation that come with Ren'Py SDK (the "doc" folder in the directory where you put it) and that is also available .

faebladezzz

Jun 30, 2017
i'm new to this kind of stuff
can you please give me some pointer for the 1st question / which part on the docummentation that i need to learn to achive that please?
i'll figure out the rest

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
My advice would be start smaller. Just make a standard game to familiarize yourself with Ren'py/python and go from there. The documentation is impossible to read if you don't at least have a basic understanding of programming (with basic understanding it is difficult but at least you stand a chance). It also doesn't hurt to do an intro into python course or two.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
can you please give me some pointer for the 1st question / which part on the docummentation that i need to learn to achive that please?
All the screen language part and the styling part, and of course the part regarding in-game menus.

But it's not how you should proceed. You first learn how the engine works, then how its language works, and only then you starts do something.
I mean, you wouldn't jump on a plane cockpit and starts to fly without at least knowing what the different levers, buttons and other controllers do, right ? Why should this be different here ?