RPGM - Maple Hills College [v0.1a] [Dekarous]

1. 2.00 star(s)

zerojack123

It dose have a lot of potential but sadly the game play is really bad. A lot is needed to be worked on, it's hard to engage the characters you want to be with but the events are random.

I have used cheats since the engine is RPG maker to see anything but sadly none. the perks are not clear cut. By using the cheats to see the numbers well increasing it is slow.

Acquiring the perk you want is not very clear. Much of the random events are just set to repeat.

A lot of this game needs to be reworked on.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

Innocience

Version 0.1a

Played until week 3(?), well until the third ingame test. Ran out of patience after that.

Rather tedious and confusing right now. The biggest issue: Little to no feedback on the gameplay mechanics. HUD doesn't update after each action so you don't know if what you're doing is actually accomplishing something. Menus and actions don't tell you how long they'll take beforehand. The font for the study level is hard to read, or I'm just blind.
    There seem to be a lot of stats I've yet to find where to look up: There's mention of some health damage but I haven't been able to find where that stat is shown to the player. Or what sort of effects it has. Or what my fight, intimidate and what have you stats are at all. Or what they do. How many there are...
    The main hub is confusing, no indications of where to go and what's interactable. (On a technical level, using an invisible character to trigger touch events comes with confusing delays. There has to be a better way short of using an engine actually build for this sort of gameplay.)
    The menu in your dorm has additional options that are hidden behind a tiny arrow pointing down. Bad design. It took me a bit to notice since the map is best interfaced using a mouse. Also the cancel button does different things depending on the menu. You click on the computer submenu by accident you're screwed. Gotta pick a choice. Go to the smartphone menu you're fine. Cancel just works.

Events seem entirely random which makes for poor coherent characters and progression. Writing is okay, nothing special and not a lot in it yet. Characters are barely worth mentioning so far with how little screen time they have. In my ~15 to 20ish picks for a random school event I've seen one event 3 times.
    The only Femdom scene with Gwen I've encountered playing until the third in-game test came out of left field, no setup, nothing, and afterwards I wasn't able to set up any dates anymore. A bug maybe?

Resources seem really scarce or I haven't understood how to play yet. I had to go look in the trash the end of the second week but managed to excel in the test though I did waste $80 on an event whose reward was a "connection with Gwen has greatly improved". Is that good? How much is great as opposed to "just" improved? This will help me get laid, right?
    Also, what's the point of time slowly advancing on the hub screen? It's frozen in menus and events and it adds no challenge or interesting gameplay.
    I didn't encounter any sort of missed event or option because I took to long. Be 5 minutes too late to class and you're still good to go. So...is there some sort of hidden mechanic here? Yes no?
    Also, is sleeping at 9 pm a good choice? The clock jumps from 9pm to 3am so maybe I just miss out on 5 hours that could be used doing something else? Yes no? So little feedback in the game.

tl;dr: It's just past the proof of concept stage. You'll be left puzzled what, why and how to do stuff while hoping some scene will come about that's worth the confusion you've endured. Topped of with a poor use of the RPGM for a game concept that's clearly not benefitting from the workarounds the author had to implement to make it work in engine.

2 stars for the art, being very early days of developement, me probably not coming back to later versions of the game to revise the review, and for having a (concept of) gameplay loop that (theoretically) involves some engagement beyond "Pick the stupid thing to say or the blatently correct choice".