MEGA, its shit. stop hosting files there.

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
I'm not fond of the limits on Mega, but it's mostly reliable.
Mixdrop, on the other hand, is absolute trash. Every single file I've tried downloading from Mixdrop has set off my antivirus. And that's after fighting past the shitstorm of ads they throw at you. A million ads, then a virus? No thanks. As far as I'm concerned, Mixdrop should be outright banned.
Other ones are annoying, but they at least work. We're downloading shit for free. Beggars can't really be choosers.
And then there's mediafire. Been there since 2006, decade old links still working. How the hell do they do it?

Reactions: otodni and Vanderer

Enot1964

May 20, 2019
I'm not fond of the limits on Mega, but it's mostly reliable.
Mixdrop, on the other hand, is absolute trash. Every single file I've tried downloading from Mixdrop has set off my antivirus. And that's after fighting past the shitstorm of ads they throw at you. A million ads, then a virus? No thanks. As far as I'm concerned, Mixdrop should be outright banned.
Other ones are annoying, but they at least work. We're downloading shit for free. Beggars can't really be choosers.
Anyway, there's always torrents.

Jul 13, 2021
Anyway, there's always torrents.
While torrent may look nice, i wouldn't download through it without an VPN. Specially in countries where ISPs usually annoy you because of torrents.
And then again, if you have a good VPN MEGA download limit won't pose a problem to start with.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Enot1964

May 20, 2019
While torrent may look nice, i wouldn't download through it without an VPN. Specially in countries where ISPs usually annoy you because of torrents.
And then again, if you have a good VPN MEGA download limit won't pose a problem to start with.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In my country they try to block torrent trackers (unsuccessfully), but there are no legislative measures against citizens downloading content via torrents. Besides, the saying "the strictness of laws is compensated for by the non-binding nature of their enforcement" was not born in our country for nothing :)

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
Since we're apparently throwing around personal anecdotes: MEGA is perfectly serviceable. Not "DA BESTEST111" but it's pretty fast, has decent folder view options, can play video directly in the browser, has a decent daily cap which can be partially bypassed via megatools, and links don't seem to die all that quickly. The "download into browser first" thing is different sure but not actually bad.

Pixeldrain's ability to preview archive contents makes it better for ZIP files specifically. Gofile, mixdrop and workupload seem to be more lenient with their quotas but I got "file contains malware" warnings from mixdrop too. Google drive is good for image galleries as it's pretty responsive and generates previews e.g. for PSD files, but gets annoying with its virus scans and "zip the zip" nonsense.

Uploadhaven is slow, filen and dropbox have atrocious UI/usability but should be fine for singular game archives. Most of the others seem to be dead by the time I get to them, but obviously I can't tell whether they're actually worse or just less well maintained by the uploaders.

Most of the time the best option is to grab one file from each of the decent sites if you're downloading in bulk, for single downloads google drive's compression antics and the 5GB limit on at least MEGA and Pixeldrain are the main issue.

Reactions: Enot1964

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
When a game is within the download limit I always use it, it's alot faster for me. Other than that I go for gofile then whatever else.