Member categories / rank

hyfka

Mar 8, 2021
you must have more free time or fewer demands on your free time
I feel called out :ROFLMAO:

But on the other hand I think it's pretty fair to judge how "new" someone is by their activity. If you have been a member for ages but never interacted with the community, are you really more part of it than someone with a newer account who participates in discussion a lot?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
If you have been a member for ages but never interacted with the community, are you really more part of it than someone with a newer account who participates in discussion a lot?
Coming from the good old Usenet, I'm tempted to answer "yes".
Lurking do not prevent you to integrate a community. It permit you to learn its rules, explicit and implicit, discover its own mechanism, and so on.
It's not because you wrote only 10 posts in three years, that you'll be less relevant than someone who wrote 100 in one month. And at the opposite, depending on the topic, you can be more relevant. Between the two, by default I'll trust more the elder one if he starts to explain what works or not when you make a game. This simply because it's been years that he witness games succeeding and falling.
But I insist on the "by default". It's just my cognitive bias, and it will not prevent me to also balance the arguments presented by the two of them, and possibly finally agree with the youngest one.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Curious as to the breakdown / criteria of member ranks.
”new user”-“newbie”-“member” etc etc etc…
What is the complete list?
and the criteria for the changes?
The current standard titles are listed in the Changelog.

As others have said, they're based on number of posts. That post doesn't list the thresholds, and I've not seen it anywhere.

With a bit of sampling, I think they're:
New Member < 10 posts
Newbie >= 10 posts
Member >= 100 posts
Active Member >= 250 posts
Well-Known Member >= 1000 posts
Devoted Member >= 5000 posts

The New Member/Newbie threshold is a bit nebulous, there are some New Members with >10 posts. But I think that's just because there's a lag between passing the threshold & receiving the title.

Posts in the Off Topic section don't count, so the post count shown under the profile isn't necessarily a reflection of total activity (I have another 1277 posts in OT).

Last edited:

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
The current standard titles are listed in the Changelog.

As others have said, they're based on number of posts. That post doesn't list the thresholds, and I've not seen it anywhere.

With a bit of sampling, I think they're:
New Member < 10 posts
Newbie >= 10 posts
Member >= 100 posts
Active Member >= 250 posts
Well-Known Member >= 1000 posts
Devoted Member >= 5000 posts

The New Member/Newbie threshold is a bit nebulous, there are some New Members with >10 posts. But I think that's just because there's a lag between passing the threshold & receiving the title.

Posts in the Off Topic don't count, so the post count shown under the profile isn't necessarily a reflection of total activity (I have another 1277 posts in OT).
THANK YOU.
For not only listing the ranks and breakdowns but sharing exactly where to go find the info.
BONUS POINTS.
For the caveat that “Off Topic” posts don’t count … how did you determine for yourself that you have 1277 posts in OT my guess is that it’s probably under your posting activity and then it shows your posted areas.
Oddly when I go looking under my account it says I have 92 msgs posted but to the left it says 95 (currently) so 3 postings of mine are not counted but I couldn’t find a specific “OT postings” category… IIRC I have started 3 topic posts in OT but that is fuzzy memory #.

thanks again!!!
I hope that others that might have had this question gained by your share.

I feel called out :ROFLMAO:
That’s on YOU man :ROFLMAO:

It wasn’t my intention to call out anyone. I was referencing a side by side comparison to myself and count morado and I wasn’t even really calling him out … it was an observation (maybe a tiny bit tongue in cheek)

Last edited:
Reactions: Meushi

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
or the caveat that “Off Topic” posts don’t count … how did you determine for yourself that you have 1277 posts in OT my guess is that it’s probably under your posting activity and then it shows your posted areas.
No, OT posts don't show anywhere in the stats to my knowledge. I determined my OT post count by doing a search of the Off-Topic section for all posts by me & counting the pages/posts returned.

Last edited:

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
No, OT posts don't show anywhere in the stats to my knowledge. I determined my OT post count by doing a search of the Off-Topic section for all posts by me & counting the pages/posts returned.
Yep that’s what I was referencing as well…
But I don’t have any off topic posts … so I don’t know why my numbers are off.

B7B8AA98-7840-445D-AE10-37F3A887AC61.jpeg
Meushi‘s post totals is harder to read because you can’t scroll down the image.

It MIGHT be because I might have deleted 3 posts… but unsure.

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
Yep that’s what I was referencing as well…

View attachment 2092324
Meushi‘s post totals is harder to read because you can’t scroll down the image.

It MIGHT be because I might have deleted 3 posts… but unsure.
I've never deleted any of my posts (if I remember correctly also not by mods) and my number is off by 14. But I do know that I posted in threads that were deleted/hidden by the staff. So those numbers could come from that. :unsure:

Reactions: Strike-10

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
I've never deleted any of my posts (if I remember correctly also not by mods) and my number is off by 14. But I do know that I posted in threads that were deleted/hidden by the staff. So those numbers could come from that. :unsure:
Off top posts????
It was mentioned that off topic posts are neutral/not counted.
I can’t check your profile to verify …. (you are set to private or access limited)

Ive never had a post deleted either but IIRC I self deleted 3 2 because someone was just a bit faster than me but they said exactly the same thing … so I deleted my duplication of another’s comment. My final delete was a double posting of the exact same msg.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
I'd say it's the three profile posts in your message history, which count toward your total posts count, but don't have a category in post areas so aren't counted in that messages created by Strike-10 figure.

If posts are deleted they're removed from the message count stats.

Reactions: Strike-10

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
I'd say it's the three profile posts in your message history, which count toward your total posts count, but don't have a category in post areas so aren't counted in that messages created by Strike-10 figure.
That‘s also a good supposition as well … however I only count/see 1 ”profile” post.

I don’t mind my “count” being off a few … I will look and watch the numbers and see if I notice what “other” get excluded.

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
Off top posts????
it was mentioned that off topic posts are neutral/not counted.
No, that's correct, off-topic doesn't count.
What I mean is, where you have a difference of 3, I have one of 14.

And I have no (self) deleted posts nor any profile posts.

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
No, that's correct, off-topic doesn't count.
What I mean is, where you have a difference of 3, I have one of 14.

And I have no (self) deleted posts nor any profile posts.
And you have no “off topic” ????
I can’t check.

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
And you have no “off topic” ????
I can’t check.
Yes, I have off-topic posts, which of course aren't included in my message count.
But when I add those two numbers, they don't match the total message count (the number at the end of the list in the screenshots we both posted earlier). Overall, it's kinda similar to your case (numbers that don't add up).

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
Yes, I have off-topic posts, which of course aren't included in my message count.
But when I add those two numbers, they don't match the total message count (the number at the end of the list in the screenshots we both posted earlier). Overall, it's kinda similar to your case (numbers that don't add up).
Ok …

I was just checking that they were being ”considered”

the way I was reading your previous comments it was unclear that you were considering that … and I was unable to check one way or the other.

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
I can’t see those easy from where I was looking.
I was thinking you were referring to
73BA6163-7C1A-4D63-990F-D1CC7BDF3E4F.png

which was 1 profile post by me to others who might read my profile.

I will look for an easy spot (in my profile) to get those 3 you listed.

The only way I can see those 3 is if I scroll through ALL my postings …if that’s how you found them that’s lots of effort.
Hopefully you can see why I was confused.

Last edited: