Mod Midlife Crisis - Courteous Mod + Walkthrough v34 [thanks for the demos]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
thanks for the demos Although the error was different, and varied a bit between the saves I tried, like polycentric none of my existing saves would work. Had to use one of the saves you linked on the first page. But no matter, a fresh play though will be next anyway. If you want one or more of my old saves to investigate, let me know.

Aug 7, 2018
polycentric
Just in case I forgot an important step in the install instructions, here's the patch process in a little more detail:
  • added Chap19.rpa to Midlife Crisis\game, used UnRen option 1
  • applied Mod v11 afterwards by merging mod's game folder with Midlife Crisis's game folder
  • OR added Mod's version19.rpy directly into Midlife Crisis\game (since all previous modded scripts are already there)
  • tried loading a save at or prior to "Jennifer: Look out you fool!!!" in v0.18
In my tests just adding Chap19.rpa and the modded version19.rpy script to \game also worked (we don't need the updated scripts.rpa since the mod supplies version19's script.)

Of course adding the entire content of the update patch (Chap19.rpa and scripts.rpa) and using UnRen option 1 also works, if you apply mod v11 afterwards.

As long as Chap19.rpa (or the images it contains, via UnRen) and mod's version19.rpy are added to an existing Midlife Crisis v0.18 install everything should work out (... but since it apparently didn't, I hope you don't mind using the provided saves until we figure out why :p).

TheSidewinder
Sure, I'll try and take a look at those saves, especially the one(s) that got a different exception than
Code:
While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 441, in __call__
    renpy.load(fn)
Exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?
when trying to load them.

Reactions: Hordragg

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
TheSidewinder
Sure, I'll try and take a look at those saves, especially the one(s) that got a different exception than
Code:
While running game code:
    renpy.load(fn)
Exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?
when trying to load them.
Well this is odd. After using and saving a few times with the saves you posted, I moved my old saves into the game folder and tried reloading them to find a different error, and this time some them worked.

But the ones that didn't work were a match for the error that polycentric got. So only the one error that they got.

But I've attached my save files anyway.

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
Went all the way back to a save at the sex scene with Jennifer in the canoe. Started it up, played through OK until the scene with Tracy in the Chapter 18 scene with Tracy in the coffee house. It errored at the 'more than friends' option (paraphrasing from memory) but I was able to 'ignore' past it and made it all the way to the end of the Chapter 19 content.

kiljaeden

Jun 2, 2019
This mod works perfectly. If there is a problem with your modded game, you probably did something wrong.

Dunacting

Jun 13, 2020
Started a new game at version 19 of game using latest MOD. Keep getting Error when I load a game save. Having to go to a previous save a replay a long way to get back to where I should be,

Ghostredneck

May 26, 2020
Having some issues with installing the mod with the full download v 19.. i drop the file in the game folder but it doesnt work like previous version did.. any ideas? ty

Reactions: pingwin
Aug 7, 2018
Having some issues with installing the mod with the full download v 19.. i drop the file in the game folder but it doesnt work like previous version did.. any ideas? ty
For those who had trouble with UnRen / update patches / etc:

here's the mod as a single scripts.rpa archive. Drop it into Midlife Crisis\game and overwrite when asked (back up scripts.rpa before, just in case). I'll test it some more after work, but my quick tests with standalone v0.19 and update patched v0.18 -> v0.19 both worked.

This means you won't have to use UnRen anymore (no need to extract rpa archives or add/remove files manually). Let me know if it works for you. If people prefer this, I'll use rpa archives for my mod in the future (or make it an option at least).

There is no cheat
No green choices either. What am I missing. Playing this game for first time.
Flavour choices that just change a few lines of dialogue are up to you. The first major choice is this one.

No image found, not a single one.
The compressed version had some issues at first that have since been fixed. If you used the update patch, make sure Chap19.rpa is in your game folder. It contains all the new images for v0.19. You could try my attached scripts.rpa to streamline the patch/modding process.
-> Apply update patch (scripts.rpa and Chap19.rpa) then overwrite scripts.rpa with the modded one.

@ loading issues: still looking into it, not much progress so far (as in, it always works for my test saves :p)

Reactions: ff009 and Hordragg

Rindarion

Apr 26, 2019
I'm getting real fucking tired of having to start a new game every time a new version of the game and the mod comes out. Can you please fix this shit.

Rindarion

Apr 26, 2019
Here's the error i get, maybe one of you guys can tell me what the hell is going on cause i can't understand it at all
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    renpy.load(fn)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 35, in script
    $ ui.interact()
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1912, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 35, in <module>
    $ ui.interact()
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 287, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2649, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3451, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 992, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\display\transition.py", line 45, in event
    return self.new_widget.event(ev, x, y, st)  # E1101
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 992, in event
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 697, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 239, in event
    rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 906, in event
    return handle_click(self.clicked)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 841, in handle_click
    rv = run(action)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 308, in run
    new_rv = run(i, *args, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 315, in run
    return action(*args, **kwargs)
    renpy.load(fn)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\loadsave.py", line 728, in load
    log.unfreeze(roots, label="_after_load")
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1867, in unfreeze
    self.rollback(0, force=True, label=label, greedy=greedy, on_load=True)
  File "D:\Ny mapp\Spel\Ny mapp\MidLifeCrisis-0.20-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1696, in rollback
    raise Exception("Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?")

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
MidLifeCrisis 0.20
Wed Jul 22 00:07:16 2020

krakos9

Sep 16, 2016
I'm getting real fucking thankful that someone takes some of it's time to make the mod each time a new version of the game comes out even if he has to work with the code of someone else. this mod is the icing on the cake.

Rindarion

Apr 26, 2019
I'm getting real fucking thankful that someone takes some of it's time to make the mod each time a new version of the game comes out even if he has to work with the code of someone else. this mod is the icing on the cake.
I understand if my post came across as a bit agressive, i AM greatful that the guy takes the time to make the mod so no argue from me there. It's just that i get frustrated as hell when i download a new version of the game/mod and get slapped with some effing error message when i try to load my latest save. It's been this way for several updates now, i don't know if i'm doing anything wrong or whatever but hopefully in posting the error message i'm getting someone can shed more light on this.

krakos9

Sep 16, 2016
No problem mate (or gal or whatever) i can understand where you come from. Just wanted to make a point that he does it for free and he has to work with what he can.

Reactions: Rindarion
5.00 star(s) 2 Votes