Ren'Py Minigames

RollingFish

Jan 13, 2023
I have a question about minigames in Renpy.

I would like to include small minigames in my game and I see some good minigames that are not too annoying in other visual novels.
The question is can I reuse these minigames?
For example a minigame from a game moves a bar right and left and you have to click at the right moment, can I just take over this minigame?
I assume that the code does not change much?

Or should I rather hire someone on FIVER to make the code for me and be on the safe side?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The question is can I reuse these minigames?
Can you, yes.
Do you have the knowledge to do it, only you know.

At first you'll have to figure out what are all the parts used by the said mini game. Then you'll probably have to make some adaptation for it to works with your game.
It's not something too difficult, but how accurate and correct you'll do it depend of your own capacities.

hiya02

Oct 14, 2019
Ugh.... I wouldn't want to play those old "click at the right moment" mini"games" :censored::censored:
Perhaps learn enough programming to do something far more interesting?
As for reusing stuff and resources from other vns, that happens all the time: renders, script and story ideas are all free game.

CardinalRed

Amazing Dev
Game Developer
Sep 8, 2021
It can be a challenge to adapt a minigame from someone else's code to fit your game, especially if you are not familiar with python classes and whatnot, but the harder it is for you, the more about it you will learn.

As a side note, I'd make minigames optional in your game. Some people really hate them, and other really can't play them, so think of it as an accessibility issue.