Misnamed a save file

rustic0

Jul 25, 2019
So i was playing dreams of desire and when saving my game i named it '[[[[' and bow i can't load any saves as i get an error when trying to open the load menu
Any help appreciated

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Easy way
See if you can load one of the automatic saves (I don't have DoD, but they should be in a page labelled 'A' or 'Auto')

Hard way
I have tested this solution with another game and it should work:
- open the game\saves folder
- find the save you want to fix. Their filenames should be something like X-Y-LT1.save, where X is the page and Y the slot. E.g.: 2-6-LT1.save is the save stored in the 2nd page, 6th slot
- backup the save
- change the file extension from .save to .zip (yes, saves are actually zip archives)
- open the .zip and extract all the files in a new folder
- the save name should be stored into the "json" file. Edit it with Notepad++, then save. If you want a nameless file, write this:
Code:
{"_save_name": ""}
- drag and drop the "json" file back into the zip file: Winzip/Winrar should be smart enough to replace the original "json" file. If it doesn't work, select all the files and create a new .zip archive, then rename it like the original one. It must be a ZIP, not a RAR
- change back the extension from .zip to .save, then put it back into the game\saves folder
- load your save

rustic0

Jul 25, 2019
before i saw your reply, i tried re-installing the game from the original rar file so it had no saves present on it and still received the error. heres the traceback if it can tell you anything

rustic0

Jul 25, 2019
Easy way
See if you can load one of the automatic saves (I don't have DoD, but they should be in a page labelled 'A' or 'Auto')

Hard way
I have tested this solution with another game and it should work:
- open the game\saves folder
- find the save you want to fix. Their filenames should be something like X-Y-LT1.save, where X is the page and Y the slot. E.g.: 2-6-LT1.save is the save stored in the 2nd page, 6th slot
- backup the save
- change the file extension from .save to .zip (yes, saves are actually zip archives)
- open the .zip and extract all the files in a new folder
- the save name should be stored into the "json" file. Edit it with Notepad++, then save. If you want a nameless file, write this:
Code:
{"_save_name": ""}
- drag and drop the "json" file back into the zip file: Winzip/Winrar should be smart enough to replace the original "json" file. If it doesn't work, select all the files and create a new .zip archive, then rename it like the original one. It must be a ZIP, not a RAR
- change back the extension from .zip to .save, then put it back into the game\saves folder
- load your save
nvm for some reason the game was detecting my save files even though they weren't in the saves folder.
i used your method and it fixed it thanks alot my guy

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
You're welcome, I'm glad it worked. ;)
And yes, I forgot you have also to fix the save inside AppData\Roaming.

Reactions: Papa Ernie