RPGM Monster Girl Battle Saga | A Pokemon Essentials/PokeRomHack game

Iron Cunny

May 24, 2020
I want to make a game using Pokemon Essentials and/or by Romhacking an existing Pokemon game. The game I might be making may not be appropriate for the usual sites (e.g. Pokecommunity, Reliccastle), and while my initial plans were too tame for this site too, I might amp them up to fit.

Does anyone have any experience with those? Which is better, Pokemon Essentials or Romhacking?

I welcome you to this thread. Basically I'm here to share a game that I had an idea about and would like to share.

Since this is my first game, I want to do something feasible, something a novice in game-making can do yet can be presentable. To aid me, I will primarily be using and various addons related to it to help me produce this game in RPGMaker.

However, this will not be a Pokemon game. While I am mimicking the playstyle, every mook, wild encounter and the like will be of the game's own. It is intended to be a Pokemon-like in the vein of games such as TemTem & Coromon.

Monster Girl Battle Saga is a working name.

Premise

The player takes the role of a young man who's ready for his first venture into the world of Monsterra, a land inhabited by creatures known as Monmusu. Monmusu danger levels range from pest to threat, and while humanity has feared them for eons, the means to capture, seal and command them via tomes has reduced this fear and allowed them to turn the tides.

The player's mother decides to give him and his childhood friend one of three Monmusu to start with - the Plant Element Mandragora, the Fire Element Ignis and the Water Element Sahuagin.

As you travel across the land, you'll meet many Monmusu and people alike while you uncover devious plots!

Gameplay

The core gameplay will be monster collecting and pitting said monsters in 1v1 battles.

In addition to the basics, I have plans to include CGs in places. For instance, losing to wild Monmusu or certain NPCs will result in CGs that precede a 'Blackout' before you are transported to your last healing area.

Currently, the priority is core gameplay, CGs and the wide variety of Monmusu to encounter, so what puzzles there are and the like is either low priority or up in the air.

There will be multiple choice dialogue during the story that will affect things such as relationships with NPCs or even where the story goes.

Priority List

Highest

The actual gameplay - well, obviously.
Creating every location up till the 8th gym equivalent before releasing the '8 gym demo'.
Sex scenes in major scenes with major NPCs
Creating all ~200 monster girls, sprites and all.

Middle

Creating alternate outfits for some monster girls
Turning aforementioned sprites animated.

Lowest

Creating an H-scene for every single monster girl.

Last edited:

sh221B777

Dec 16, 2021
I would seriously not suggest using pokemon essentials. Screw that, I would not suggest making a pokemon game at all Nintendo is too strict with its copyrights and the moment your games get the least bit popular, it would be taken down. I had to discard one of my started projects just after I searched about the policies of Nintendo regarding it. There is a slight chance that you might get away with it if you are creating a parody without any original art but that too is slim. Nintendo is a huge company after all. So my advice would be to make something original rather than pokemon.

Iron Cunny

May 24, 2020
I would seriously not suggest using pokemon essentials. Screw that, I would not suggest making a pokemon game at all Nintendo is too strict with its copyrights and the moment your games get the least bit popular, it would be taken down. I had to discard one of my started projects just after I searched about the policies of Nintendo regarding it. There is a slight chance that you might get away with it if you are creating a parody without any original art but that too is slim. Nintendo is a huge company after all. So my advice would be to make something original rather than pokemon.
Thanks for the concern.

The idea is that I will have 0 Pokemon and the wilderness will be inhabited by Monster Girls. Pokeballs will be replaced by tomes, Potions are still potions, etc etc.

Basically, while the setting and the like will be of my own mind, the gameplay will likely be that of Pokemon.

It will still be Pokemon-like in that the attacks will be similar and there's an evolution system. Maybe it'll fall under the territory of those Pokemon-likes on Steam like Coromon?

sh221B777

Dec 16, 2021
To be honest, I don't know. The games that were shut down like apex or pokenet were where they straight up used the essentials as well tas the battle system. Even though the game was free-to-play, the dev wasn't able to continue it. However as I said, Nintendo hates people using its art or resources. You might have to shut it down in between. Why don't you try asking the developers of Oppimaon or other game devs?
Here are a few I remember.
[VN] - [Ren'Py] - [Abandoned] - Leaf on Fire [v0.2] [Thunder One] | F95zone
[Unity] - [Abandoned] - Oppaimon [v0.6.3] [Witch Nighto Studio!] | F95zone

Iron Cunny

May 24, 2020
Looks like those games are still alive. I'll ask around and see what makes Ninty tick and what makes them turn a blind eye. Heck, I'll head over to Reliccastle & Pokecommunity too for those questions, they're the experts in Pokemon fangames.

... though, I have to wonder if Nintendo will ever come to this part of the Internet to check on things.

That being said, I have a better vision for my project, so later on I'll edit the first post to explain it in very much detail.

Iron Cunny

May 24, 2020
For anyone who is bothering to gaze at this thread, some questions, since I'm the type of guy who wants to get opinions to dictate what I do:

1. About the starters.

Currently I'm sticking to the Pokeyman tradition of Grass-Fire-Water, with Mandragora -> Alraune -> Rose Queen, Ignis -> Chochinobake -> Hinezumi & Sahuagin -> Deep One -> Mindflayer

Now, keep in mind that starters, like in that other franchise about catching monsters, can only be obtained at the start and cannot be found in the wild (that may change and even then it'll be a postgame thing or they'll be rare)

Do you feel that some of the starters should be more 'common' or 'obtainable' persay? Like maybe the Alraune & Mandragora should be found in the wild? Should Deep Ones be found aplenty in the wild as well?

If yes, what should they be replaced by in the starter roster?

(Me taking this into account is why Slimes are not in the Starter set.)

Speaking of, should I stick to the Grass-Fire-Water elemental trio, or should I consider other similar rock-paper-scissors trinities? Since I am making my own thing at the end of it all, I don't need to adhere to Pokemon rules, so new weaknesses can be crafted for new types.

EDIT: I've recently thought of making it so that the starters' final forms have a unified Cthulhu Mythos motif. Should I go for it, or should I make the motifs more diverse?

2. What Monster Girls would you like to see in this game?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oarrtugger

Iron Cunny

May 24, 2020
You still tryin to work on this?
I want to, yes. It's functionally on the shelf because I want to learn a bunch more about the programs I'm using first (and then some), but even in this shelf phase, I do come back and think of the order of the story, the biomes and all.

Aside from pretty-known Monster Girls made popular by certain Monster Girl enthusiasts, I have thought of making my own Monster Girls, basing them off DnD stuff and the like.

At the end of the day, I am one chap. I do want to ask for help on the project if it takes off, mostly with creative decisions and what Monster Girls can be included.

Within my current plans, I completely lack a Desert Biome, but my Graveyard Biome for undead types does have some mooks you'd expect in a Desert Biome.

Last edited: