VN Ren'Py Mothers & Daughters [Development Thread]

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
banner1c.png

Mothers & Daughters

Game Overview:

Mothers & Daughters is an adult visual novel in which you play as 18 year old Max (name customizable). Max worked hard to finish high school and passed with the relevant grades to get into a local college. There was one thing Max failed at in high school – losing his virginity. Can you help him with that?

Max lives with his parents in the fictional town of Rockbrough and will be attending the local college. The game does include some scenes in the college and relevant classes, but does not directly revolve around the college ecosystem itself. Therefore it does not contain any fraternity or sorority aspects.

Each game day is split into four time periods – morning, afternoon, evening and night. You will have a choice of scenes to play for each period. Most scenes will last one time period, however some can last multiple time periods. There may also be a selection of sub-scenes, such as exploring the mall.

The older female characters (Mothers) all have at least one daughter. Some of the relationships are obvious, while others are not. The Daughters are split into younger - same age as Max, or older - early to mid 20's. How you interact with each character can affect your relationship with other characters. For instance, a daughter might rebuke your advances if she sees you flirting with her mother.

You can choose which characters to romantically pursue. You do not have to romantically pursue every female character you come into contact with. It will not be possible to pursue every female character in one play through.

There are several systems used to track your statistics with each character. How you chose to interact and behave towards the characters, either good or bad, will affect those stats and what further options are available. In order to pursue a romantic involvement with a character you will need to achieve certain stats.

The game has three modes of difficulty setting. Easy, Normal and Hard. This does not change the content of the game, just your journey through the game.

Romanceable characters in the game are either MILF's (the Mothers) or their Daughters.

Saved games from the development preview will not carry onto the actual release of the game.

Developer:

Download
Check the main game thread here

catherine.png amy.png cynthia.png gym.png gym1.png supermarket.png victoria1.png zoe.png

Last edited:

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
I'm working on the next version - 0.0.2 which will test adding content to the existing game with a partial download.

The future versions will complete downloads as I'll be changing some core code. Will be looking at the smartphone tasks/free roam apps along with a smartphone settings app to show/change game specific settings.

Also an ingame tutorial to explain features as they appear. With an option to turn this on/off in the setting app.

With the difficulty question, I'm looking at possibly displaying this in the smartphone, along with choosing the MC's name.

The messages app currently allows you to back out half way through the conversation. You can continue the conversation at any point, but that leaves how to deal with a partial in the air. i.e. how would the character respond when you next meet them?

Smartphone is only available in the freeroam and event choice screens. I did this as to not have to think how to deal with characters responding to you pulling out the phone in scene. Do you like it this way, or would you prefer it to be available at all times?

The Karla scene needs re-rendering. The outside of the building is very bright. And I think after the initial image the scene should move inside and not be looking through the window - or do you guys prefer keeping the window effect?

Catherine's scenes also need a re-render. She is too low in the frame once you add the Ren'py text box.

Let me know what you think guys. I know there's not much content, that's mainly so people don't complain about save game compatibility. I'll probably modify the core code a few times to get the functionality working as I want.

I've also created a quick signature for myself. I know many of you are much better at this and I hope there will be many fan sigs around in future :)

mothersdaughters.gif

• Red Heart
Reactions: Reifon

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Next version (0.0.2) download link added to OP.

Extract the file ‘release2.rpa’ to the ‘game’ folder, same place as ‘archive.rpa’. Nothing to overwrite.

Game should show version ‘0.0.2’ if done correctly.

If you saved at the end of the last version the path you chose should continue.

The conversations will play out depending on stats and past choices.

There are two special scenes which will only play if you have relevant stats. One is common to both paths, while the other is for only one of the paths.

Two look closer options with gallery/phone image. One for each of the special scenes.

Smartphone will enable at the end to check stats/images etc…

Font colors need to be changed in the smartphone apps to improve readability.

Images need to consider renpy text box when framing render.

The event scheduling/trigger system is only used for free roams. This needs to be expanded for all events. It will allow greater control over events when patching.

Render count is currently 125 images.

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Versions 0.0.3 and 0.0.4 ready. V4 is to test new updating method from V3. Just drop the V4 RPA into the game folder alongside the V3 RPA file.

Due to core changes V3 replaces V1 & V2 completely.

Changes:
  • A quick tutorial added to the beginning.
  • Payers name input within the smartphone screen
  • Difficulty choice within the smartphone screen
  • End of version screen will not show between V3 and V4 when V4 RPA is present.
  • Freeroam app has been added to smartphone
  • Karla's scene is now a requirement to exit the freeroam
  • Persona is now applied on relevant choices and affects future choices.
  • Returning of Catherine's panties is no longer offered if you didn't get the relevant scene.
  • Re-rendered of Catherine pulling her skirt up to improve visibility when Renpy text box is displayed.

For those of you who like a familial setting, I've also added a patch which changes the content accordingly.
These are content patches, which means there's a patch for V3 and V4 (named 1 & 2). The patch will add an 'i' to the version number.

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
For anyone interested in how I implemented the update checking I'm using "renpy.has_label".

Example, at end of current version. This method doesn't display the end of current version screen if the next chapter is available. If you want to display end of current version regardless then obmit first part.
Python:
#check for next chapter and jump to it
    if renpy.has_label("next_chapter_start"):
        jump next_chapter_start
#if no next chapter, display end screen suggesting save point
    else:
        call end_current_version
#check again for next chapter for those who saved/load on above prompt
    if renpy.has_label("next_chapter_start"):
        jump next_chapter_start
#otherwise display end screen
    else:
        jump game_over
The new version number is displayed using 'init offset'. The highest number is loaded last, so just increment the offset with each chapter
Python:
init offset = 1
define config.version = "0.0.4"
Then all that remains is to build the relevant files into a dedicated archive file.
In 'options.rpy' (assuming you put chapter 2 scripts and images into relevant folders.
If there are two classify that match same files, the first one is used.
Python:
    build.archive("release2", "all")
    build.classify('game/images/r2/**', 'release2')
    build.classify('game/scenes/r2/**', 'release2')
I also use this method to check for 'patched' events. At the start of events the script checks if an updated event is avaialble

Python:
label chapter_1
#check for updated chapter 1 and jump to it
    if renpy.has_label("chapter_1_updated"):
        jump chapter_1_updated
#otherwise continue chapter 1....
This is just a method I found works for me. There may be other/better methods available.

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
is there scene with heels?
In version 4 if you have high affinity you can offer to take Catherine's heels off, otherwise she does it herself. There are no images of you actually taking them off and touching her feet yet.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
nothing specific with heels at the moment sorry. but ideas are welcome and i'll see what i can do in future scenes.

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Version 5. This replaces previous versions. It is not an update.

Changes
  • Mini smartphone no longer displays when larger smartphone active
  • Call screen shows full image (within the smartphone) if contact image has been customized
  • Smartphone navigation (bottom bar) no longer displays during active message conversation until complete
  • Text color for additional information in Relationship app is darker
  • Freeroam tasks removed from app when exiting the freeroam
  • Removed references to image file paths in smartphone apps
  • Added settings app to smartphone
  • Setting to disable look closer hints in easy mode (enabled by default)
  • Setting to enable relationship app in hard mode (disabled by default)
  • Setting to enable/disable tutorial hints

Mr Editor

Jul 4, 2021
I also use this method to check for 'patched' events. At the start of events the script checks if an updated event is avaialble

Python:
label chapter_1
#check for updated chapter 1 and jump to it
    if renpy.has_label("chapter_1_updated"):
        jump chapter_1_updated
#otherwise continue chapter 1....
This is just a method I found works for me. There may be other/better methods available.
This is what I was looking for. Thank you :)

Mr Editor

Jul 4, 2021
The profile picture on the message from mom doesn’t change when patch installed.

Do you have other code I can use for creating my game?

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
The profile picture on the message from mom doesn’t change when patch installed.
Thanks, that was just a test and has been removed.

Do you have other code I can use for creating my game?
That depends what you're trying to do and what features you need in your game. Have a look at other threads and create your own development thread when you're ready.

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
Well, i played it, and i love it so far!
Especially love how the milfs look like actual milfs and not some perpetual 20 year olds
So, how long do you think until you could do the first proper release of this game?

Oh, almost forgot, will there be pregnancy in this?
if you do plan pregnancy then please dont make it at the very end, make it so that, we can also enjoy it while they are, so we can see the LI become more intimate because of it.
also if you could show how the relationship becomes between the LI and you and her mom/daughter.

Last edited:

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Thanks and glad you liked it.

A few features left to finish off before I’m happy to move into a proper release. There’s the inventory (collectables and panties), trophies, walkthrough options and the computer in the bedroom.

Pregnancy is a maybe at this point. I’ve been roughing out the story and need to consider what works best with the various branching choices and what renders I would need.

Your attitude towards love interest’s mom/daughter will affect your relationship with the LI.

For instance, pursuing a daughter could lock out any potential sexual relationship path with the relevant mother. The younger girls might become suspicious if you are friendly towards their mothers. The older girls may be less suspicious if you are friendly to their mothers.

Reactions: Hrk19

Hrk19

Jan 24, 2020
Thanks and glad you liked it.

A few features left to finish off before I’m happy to move into a proper release. There’s the inventory (collectables and panties), trophies, walkthrough options and the computer in the bedroom.

Pregnancy is a maybe at this point. I’ve been roughing out the story and need to consider what works best with the various branching choices and what renders I would need.

Your attitude towards love interest’s mom/daughter will affect your relationship with the LI.

For instance, pursuing a daughter could lock out any potential sexual relationship path with the relevant mother. The younger girls might become suspicious if you are friendly towards their mothers. The older girls may be less suspicious if you are friendly to their mothers.
love it!
Man, you have no idea how much i wanted an incest game with realistic looking milfs.

Oh and i mentioned pregnancy because well, that could make the girls treat mc differently because if the mother is pregnant then they would also not find it ok when they see you flirting around with other women, vice versa as well, basically like they make sure you do not cheat on their loved one, even if that particular character doesnt like the mc, like the girl fro example we spy on in the demo as mc says.
it would make for a more realistic development.
of course i mean for later in the game when the relationship with a girl has progressed.

oh and also, will you be adding music as well? if you do, please make it pleasing to listen to.

another thing, the updates wont be too short will they?
i dont mind waiting 3 or 4 months if it means we get a lot of content, ofcourse provided the update schedule is consistent.
oh and, this wont be a short game will it? is it gonna have episodes and seasons?

also, do you plan to open a discord?

Last edited:

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
love it!
Man, you have no idea how much i wanted an incest game with realistic looking milfs.
Realistic looking milfs was the intention. Glad it works :)

I agree with your point on the girls treating the mc differently when they see you in a relationship with their loved ones. That is something I am planning with relationships in general.

I am thinking about music, but unsure at the moment. It's something I generally switch off or turn down low when I play these type of games. Some sound effects are planned.

another thing, the updates wont be too short will they?
i dont mind waiting 3 or 4 months if it means we get a lot of content, ofcourse provided the update schedule is consistent.
oh and, this wont be a short game will it? is it gonna have episodes and seasons?

also, do you plan to open a discord?
How much I content I can put into updates and how quickly I can deliver those depends on my freelancing work. I can't turn down paid work in order to spend time on the game at the moment. If it proves popular on patreon then obviously that can change, but for now it's a fun side project and I'll spend as much time on it as I can.

That's the reason I haven't put monthly 4k renders and stuff like that as patreon rewards because I'd rather spend that time working on the game, although I'm open to ideas if that's what supporters want.

It's not planned to be short and would probably be classed as a slow burn. I might do episodes/seasons or just run with the day/week cycle. The game starts on a Friday and there is a group event planned for the following Friday evening. You'll need to work on your stats with the girls you want to attend that event.

The game will have trophies for the first time you do 'something' and that specific trophy is once per game. I'm hoping that gives some replayability if people want to try and earn those trophies with other girls.

And yes I have opened a discord. The roles are assigned based on patreon tiers, but there is a general channel.

Reactions: Reifon and Hrk19

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
A question about a money system and should I implement one?

Currently the game doesn't record money, but there are decisions which involve money.

At the beginning of the game Mom asks you to pick up groceries, and you can assume she gives you money to do so. There’s also an option to join the local gym with a pay now or pay later choice and a different scene where you can decide to pay for a girl’s lunch or not.

Each choice listed above has a consequence. You can choose not to go shopping, which lowers your affinity with Mom. The gym and lunch choices affect future relations with the characters involved.

My question – without a money system would you ever choose not to pay now for things like the gym and lunch? The shopping choice is more a decision of going to the store or going somewhere else, but by not going shopping you would have the money if such a system is used.