Mod Ren'Py My Dorm Multi-Mod [v0.12 + Part 2 fixes + Textbox][RiamMar]

RiamMar

One Hand Clapping, Heart of the Keyforge
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Yes, I plan to add a replay room / gallery of some kind.
At first probably a simpler version than what the dev has in mind, then we will see where the journey takes us.

It will not be in the next version, but it's planned for early in 2023

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
As I wrote in the OP itself, I updated the mod before the games public release (with devs approval).

It is compatible with v0.8.1, since the important part of the update is a bug fix for something missed in v0.7.

Delete old mods directory first, then pick your download and drop the extracted content in the games game directory.

MrBenny

Jul 20, 2021
View attachment 2143651

Overview:
An unintrusive mod for toggling the family patch and change names and choices made in the game.
Spoiler Free: Choices only appear in character tabs, when they are actually available in-game.

Does include an unintrusive family patch.

Edit 2022-12-21:
Since I'm sick, I probably won't be able to update this mod on release,
so I asked the dev for permission to update it ahead of time.
Fully forwards and backwards compatible.

I joined the games . It has a separate channel for mod-support!

Thread-Updated: 2022-12-21

Game: My Dorm
Creator: TropecitaGames | - - -

Modder: RiamMar
Game Version: Universal
Game Content: 0.81
Tested on: 0.81
Mod Version: v1.1 (delete v0.7 mods folder before installing this one!)

Language: English

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Files say v0.8; v0.8.1 only has fixes, no new choices. Fully compatible with every version of the game.
DELETE OLD MODS FOLDER FIRST

Download:
- - -

View attachment 2143652 View attachment 2143653 View attachment 2143654
Thank you very much. What a great fucking mod...the interface is fantastic. For some reason, my saved playthrough before I used this mod...my Martha route was closed. And I remember we went to the coffee shop, but the mod showed I didn't. (Fixed my route, and without this mod, I would have had to revert to a save before that event or start over.)

Thanks again for this great mod. Cheers and Happy Holidays and a New Year.

Reactions: RiamMar and Trope95

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Thank you very much. What a great fucking mod...the interface is fantastic. For some reason, my saved playthrough before I used this mod...my Martha route was closed. And I remember we went to the coffee shop, but the mod showed I didn't. (Fixed my route, and without this mod, I would have had to revert to a save before that event or start over.)

Thanks again for this great mod. Cheers and Happy Holidays and a New Year.
I'm glad my mod could help you.

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Trope95

BigBooty129

Nov 26, 2019
With the change from the mods folder to modules, the install is still to just copy the modules folder into the game folder, right? The install guide in the spoiler mentions something about a patch as well, but it doesn't seem super clear as well, what does that part mean?

Reactions: RiamMar and Trope95

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
TL;DR:
Delete mods folder, place modules folder into game folder
If you use the ipatch from the games thread, download and place/overwrite it in the game folder.

With the change from the mods folder to modules, the install is still to just copy the modules folder into the game folder, right?
Yes! Make sure to delete the mods folder though, if it's still there.

The install guide in the spoiler mentions something about a patch as well, but it doesn't seem super clear as well, what does that part mean?
This applies only in the case of you using the ipatch from the games thread in combination with my mod.
That original patch hard codes the nicest version into the game, while my version of that patch has a switch to toggle it on/off.
To make sure this on/off functionallity is working properly, one should restore the original version (either before or after installing my mod, the order does not matter)
You will still have the nicest version with and without restoring the original file, but the toggle to turn the patch on/off might be not work (properly).
To restore the original file, I have a backup in my MEGA folder. You just need to drop and overwrite it in the game directory.

Thanks for using my mod!

Reactions: BigBooty129

BigBooty129

Nov 26, 2019
Not sure if anyone else has this, but looking at the decisions menu doesn't show all of the characters names, the boxes are just empty. I was able to get it to show the names again by changing the init.rpy file to have just the abbreviated default name, instead of the name with _name attached to it, so changed "dap_name" to just "dap", and that seemed to fix it.

Reactions: RiamMar

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
TL;DR:
That should be the case for everyone. You are probably at a point in the "story", where the variable is not set yet (i.e. the intro). The buttons should be populated with all the names after the intro.
dap_name is the "official" naming variable according to TropecitaGames .

Not sure if anyone else has this, but looking at the decisions menu doesn't show all of the characters names, the boxes are just empty. I was able to get it to show the names again by changing the init.rpy file to have just the abbreviated default name, instead of the name with _name attached to it, so changed "dap_name" to just "dap", and that seemed to fix it.
Did you play the intro? The names should show up as soon as you named the characters in the intro or in the name chaning part of the mod. dap is the Character object that is represented by it's name, when used as a string.
Additional info, if you use the default names: daph is the "short version" like em vs emm where em is "Em" and emm is "Emma" in some dialogues; em is a string though, not a Character *shrugs*.

While talking with the games dev, they told me, that dap_name is the official naming variable. It holds the name of the character. In dialogue the shorter variable name/ Character daph/ dap are used.
This makes sense, since the dialogue refers to the character, not the "name of the character". I can see both approaches of variable and object use as viable and intuitive from different point of views.

I would advise to revert the variable to _name (or [Daphne] etc.; not 100% about that approach though).

If the names still don't pop up after you played the intro, let me know and maybe drop me the save, so I can have a look.

Edit: fixed some typos in my post; keep the left-overs :)

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBooty129

BigBooty129

Nov 26, 2019
I didn't do the intro, I skipped it.
I changed it back to the original stuff, then started a new game and did the intro, and the names were there.
I then started a new game and skipped the intro, and the names weren't there, so it looks like some variables might not be set when the intro is skipped

• Red Heart

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
I didn't do the intro, I skipped it.
I changed it back to the original stuff, then started a new game and did the intro, and the names were there.
I then started a new game and skipped the intro, and the names weren't there, so it looks like some variables might not be set when the intro is skipped
Thanks for checking, I should have probably done that myself. :eek:
I will see that I either get it fixed in the mod or we get it fixed in the game itself.

Edit: Checked it and yes, those variables are not set to the default names when the intro is skipped. I'm in contact with TropecitaGames .

Last edited:

AlexTorch

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2017
TL;DR:
Delete mods folder, place modules folder into game folder
If you use the ipatch from the games thread, download and place/overwrite it in the game folder.
Thanks for the mod, but could you change the installation tab on the first page? That still using the old way.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Thanks for the mod, but could you change the installation tab on the first page? That still using the old way.
Yeah, totally forgot to update Installation/Deinstallation. Thanks for the hint! <3

Reactions: AlexTorch

Antera

Nov 19, 2017
Can you add option for walkthrough to see what choice leads to what. When choices appear. It can be totally optional for those who don't mind semi spoiler

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Can you add option for walkthrough to see what choice leads to what. When choices appear. It can be totally optional for those who don't mind semi spoiler
There is a dev-made in-game walkthrough that you can toggle on/off at the beginning and with my mod, if you missed to do so.

I'm currently giving the menues an overhaul, so everything has a bit of a nicer touch to it and the choices are part of it. The dev's walkthrough will get an overhaul as well.

The menu and profiles/bios are pretty much worked on in parallel. One day I need a break from the profiles and work on the menues and the other way around. When I'm done with the menues (they should be finished earlier than the profiles) I'm picking up in-game UI like textbox and choices as coding-alternatives. When it's time for the choices, I will also get do the walkthrough.

You will have to wait and see which part will be a mod and what will be integrated in the game.

Reactions: Antera

Zeruelll

Jul 17, 2018
Will this break saves if added mid playthrough or at least mess with variables? I have no problems with starting all over though if that's the case and make the saves again for branching choices.

Trope95

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Will this break saves if added mid playthrough or at least mess with variables? I have no problems with starting all over though if that's the case and make the saves again for branching choices.
The mod is not intrusive and shouldn't break any save.
You can change variables inside the mod, and there should be no problem if you keep them consistent. For example, if you have impregnated X, the variables for X pregnant and Route with X are set to "True". If you set the pregnancy to "False" there will be no problem. If you set both to "False" there won't be a problem either. If you leave Pregnant in "True" but the route in "False" it can have some undesired effect in the dialogs.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Zeruelll

Zeruelll

Jul 17, 2018
The mod is not intrusive and shouldn't break any save.
You can change variables inside the mod, and there should be no problem if you keep them consistent. For example, if you have impregnated X, the variables for X pregnant and Route with X are set to "True". If you set the pregnancy to "False" there will be no problem. If you set both to "False" there won't be a problem either. If you leave Pregnant in "True" but the route in "False" it can have some undesired effect in the dialogs.
Oh hello dev! Nice that's great to hear. I never had a problem with my saves since the start 0.1 so I thought it would break it once I've modded your game like the other games I modded. That just shows you've done a great job on the back-end since my saves never broke once. :D

• Red Heart

Trope95

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Oh hello dev! Nice that's great to hear. I never had a problem with my saves since the start 0.1 so I thought it would break it once I've modded your game like the other games I modded. That just shows you've done a great job on the back-end since my saves never broke once. :D
The worst thing that has happened (until now ;)) is that loading a game saved in the "This is all for now" screen doesn't advance in the next update, but a little rollback and then roll forward solved it.
RiamMar and I are in daily communication to avoid incompatibilities between his mod and previous saves, to introduce new features, or to prepare the base game code for something we are going to do in the future.
He is also helping me a lot with the coding of things that I could possibly spend weeks to figure out how to do.
Having a modder of his level helping me is a treasure.
Notice to other devs: RiamMar is MINE. :ROFLMAO: (j/k)

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
You go to bed early once and the game dev hijacks your thread... :love:

TL;DR:
  • Zeruelll I don't introduce any new variables (afaik) and no new (relevant) labels so it will break nothing just by installing/uninstalling my mod
  • TropecitaGames :eek: