HTML My first HTML game

astK

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start developing an HTML game, I'm actually a back-end developer with a little bit knowledge about HTML and JS. I've been reading on the forum that SugarCube and Twine are mostly used.. I would like some tips, I intend to use real photos and videos, I saw that it is illegal but the chance of something going wrong is very low. I also believe that using amateur photos and videos from the internet further reduces the chances of something going wrong. I wanted opinions, ideas and suggestions related to the engine, things that people value more in this type of game, or even alerts about the current scenario of these games.

Thanks in advance!

Feyschek

Game Developer
Jun 12, 2021
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start developing an HTML game, I'm actually a back-end developer with a little bit knowledge about HTML and JS. I've been reading on the forum that SugarCube and Twine are mostly used.. I would like some tips, I intend to use real photos and videos, I saw that it is illegal but the chance of something going wrong is very low. I also believe that using amateur photos and videos from the internet further reduces the chances of something going wrong. I wanted opinions, ideas and suggestions related to the engine, things that people value more in this type of game, or even alerts about the current scenario of these games.

Thanks in advance!
The first person who writes a sensible idea about the illegality of the use of video content.

Essence of the number of such games and the policy of Patreon, what cruelly punishes incent content. Therefore, don't worry ;)

If you are going to use SugarCube and Twine as your engine.
Here are a couple of useful links where you can find information.

Here is my personal advice: do what you like, listening to others too much can sometimes be very harmful. The main thing is that this process brings pleasure.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Aizen511

astK

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
The first person who writes a sensible idea about the illegality of the use of video content.
That was the first thing that I searched about those kind of games. :WeSmart:

Essence of the number of such games and the policy of Patreon, what cruelly punishes incent content. Therefore, don't worry ;)
What do you mean "incent content" ? Sorry, english isn't my native language and translator didn't work on the "incent".

Here is my personal advice: do what you like, listening to others too much can sometimes be very harmful. The main thing is that this process brings pleasure.
Thanks for the tips, I think that way too, what I'm really looking for are suggestions like "making a good UI will make your game much more enjoyable", "working with X software is better", "removing the watermarks makes the risk of having problems", etc.

Reactions: Feyschek

Feyschek

Game Developer
Jun 12, 2021
What do you mean "incent content" ? Sorry, english isn't my native language and translator didn't work on the "incent".
In short, if your game has content with a direct hint that you can fuck your mother and sister, the patreon will block you.

Feyschek

Game Developer
Jun 12, 2021
Thanks for the tips, I think that way too, what I'm really looking for are suggestions like "making a good UI will make your game much more enjoyable", "working with X software is better", "removing the watermarks makes the risk of having problems", etc.
I'm making a game myself and have already experienced this issue. I had to abandon my first project and start from scratch. At least I got some experience.

astK

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
In short, if your game has content with a direct hint that you can fuck your mother and sister, the patreon will block you.
Well, I'm 100% sure that I wanna add this to my game, any tips to avoid problems with this ? Maybe using stepfather, stepmother relationships ? Or custom relationships defined by the player ?

I'm making a game myself and have already experienced this issue. I had to abandon my first project and start from scratch. At least I got some experience.
Wich issue ?

Feyschek

Game Developer
Jun 12, 2021
Well, I'm 100% sure that I wanna add this to my game, any tips to avoid problems with this ? Maybe using stepfather, stepmother relationships ? Or custom relationships defined by the player ?
This problem is solved by an incet patch for your game. As the easiest option. Current if you will earn money on your game on Patreon. If you do not earn and do not use the site to earn money, then do what you want.

Wich issue ?
Firstly, this was my first game and I was learning.
Secondly, I tried to listen to people ignoring my own creative ideas.

As a result, I burned out from accumulated problems and abandoned the project. But I rested a little and rethought and started a new project, most importantly I gained experience :)

Reactions: astK

Minced meat

Game Developer
Mar 18, 2021
That was the first thing that I searched about those kind of games. :WeSmart:

Hi :) Nice to hear you're planning to create a game.

I think it's beneficial to create a good UX for the player, but there is no need for fancy UI. Some of the best games have links with blue text and black background throughout the game.

More important is the gameplay. Make sure there is always a good balance between tension and progress.

Good luck :)

Feyschek

Game Developer
Jun 12, 2021
Hi :) Nice to hear you're planning to create a game.

I think it's beneficial to create a good UX for the player, but there is no need for fancy UI. Some of the best games have links with blue text and black background throughout the game.

More important is the gameplay. Make sure there is always a good balance between tension and progress.

Good luck :)
Of course, you can use the usual interface, well, as practice shows, the more beautiful the wrapper, the more people will want to play the game.

With the gameplay here, of course, everything is complicated and depends on the developer's fantasies and the ability to use the engine.

Of course, what I wrote above is the things that can be the key to the success of your project. Well, you should not jump above your head and do something that takes a month and will not bring pleasure.

Here is my advice on how to approach development better:

- Come up with a game concept, no matter how trite it sounded :)
A banal example, there will be a game in the styles of corruption or in the game there will be magic that will help the player achieve what he wants.

- Find a source of content where you can take video content.
Here is my personal advice, find a program that can cut the video and compress the size. The size at the end of development can be a problem for you and the players.

- English language
Though for mass consumption this language is good. In terms of writing, or rather literature, he sucks! No offense guys. My native language is Russian, when I started writing a story for my game I learned one lesson. English is the language of information, one should not expect the same as from Russian or Japanese.

Because when I started a new game and bet on the story.
I made 2 versions of the translation English and Russian. Testers who tested the game said that the Russian version was more fun than the English version in terms of text.

Well, the bottom line, getting started is always hard. Well, when you gain experience and knowledge, the process will go like clockwork. The main thing is the desire and the right motivation.