Others Ren'Py My games aren't sexy enough. Help.

ManicNSFW

Feb 20, 2019
I'm using M.U.G.E.N. game and I'm drawing a blank on ways to make it sexy.
I'm still in the early stages of figuring it out. But I want some sexyness in it.
The ballance I'm looking for is a fighting game that has technical gameplay. But also some cheekiness/ eroticism.
Like what street fighter does with lady thighs.

On another boat. I'm making a dating sim type.
Every time its time to add sexual content I just draw a blank.

When I get in the mood to create I don't seem to have anything to use that energy on.
What can I do about that?

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
On another boat. I'm making a dating sim type.
Every time its time to add sexual content I just draw a blank.
For me, the sexiness in dating sims comes from primarily two things - the progression and specific scenarios.

So I'd outline how the relationship should progress first - what happens on each date, how each successive one gets progressively sexier, and how/where you think it should end.

Then I'd think about particularly enticing scenarios (according to my tastes and kinks) and try work them in somewhere. Usually you want to work on scenes that you're personally excited about, not just standard ones that are expected in a game.

If I'm having trouble writing the scene, I'd read some well-written erotic fiction which is along those lines, and borrow dialog and events if it helps the scene. Can edit them to be less of a plagiarist later, this is just to give your dev process a kickstart.

It's important to power through during these phases before the excitement dies down, because that's usually the most productive time. Then give it a rest and revisit it when you're more neutral, so you can give it some neutral analysis as well.

Once the building blocks are in place, you're usually more motivated to go in and fill in the blanks.
Hope that helped, good luck!

Reactions: greathornytoads

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I guess what can really impact this is your ability to create custom art. such as custom sexy characters and fight animations.

Now as for general sexual content, well that can be hard. choice and freedom can be paralyzing at first, having design constraints early on can really help, be it a focus on a particular fetish or goal, or trying to identify just how you want players to experience your world/game. In my case, I am debating between an older PS1 or PS2 vibe, or trying to recreate a similar vibe using simpler 2D projection techniques, since I can better control the look of the game if it is 2D.

ManicNSFW

Feb 20, 2019
So I'd outline how the relationship should progress first - what happens on each date, how each successive one gets progressively sexier, and how/where you think it should end.

If I'm having trouble writing the scene, I'd read some well-written erotic fiction which is along those lines, and borrow dialog and events if it helps the scene. Can edit them to be less of a plagiarist later, this is just to give your dev process a kickstart.
Thanks for responding so quickly. Reading is a good suggestion. I personally don't enjoy it unless its in a game. So would playing games and reading those count as reading?

Also outlining the relationships. I completely didn't think about that. Thanks for suggesting it.

I guess what can really impact this is your ability to create custom art. such as custom sexy characters and fight animations.

Now as for general sexual content, well that can be hard. choice and freedom can be paralyzing at first, having design constraints early on can really help, be it a focus on a particular fetish or goal, or trying to identify just how you want players to experience your world/game. In my case, I am debating between an older PS1 or PS2 vibe, or trying to recreate a similar vibe using simpler 2D projection techniques, since I can better control the look of the game if it is 2D.
Guess I should just get good. Trust me, I'm trying. Just at my own pace.

A ps2 look sounds interesting. Whatever you do hope it looks cool.

Reactions: Cul

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Guess I should just get good. Trust me, I'm trying. Just at my own pace.
6 years ago I was drawing stick figures, but I could code. I spent about 2 years learning the core of art and learning how to screw around with images using gimp, and later making clean simple art using Inkscape. I only made very simple tests, not really art. 4 years ago I decided to go 3D using Blender, and it was the best! At first I had a big ego since I've had a history of putting my mind to things and being a prodigy. I thought I could learn and create a custom 3D modeled character hat I could put into a game in about 3 weeks, it took more than 2 months to really do so and be comfortable and confident. Over the years I've learned skill and acquired more tools (daz3D) and assets, but there is only one real benefit worth pointing out. 3D makes it easy to make good looking art with little to no time/skill because there has been so much work already done, whether it is the freely available nsfw models, the pre made shaders, or that fact that all I need to do is hit a button to render an image and there is something made at a far better quality than I could do by hand. And this all happens rather fast so you get to focus on the art (screwing around with characters and the scene) and not so much worrying about the brush strokes. so I'd highly recommend exploring making 3D art.

Reactions: Cul

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
Thanks for responding so quickly. Reading is a good suggestion. I personally don't enjoy it unless its in a game. So would playing games and reading those count as reading?
Sure, you could. There's a danger of copying another game too closely in that scenario, but you should be able to keep that in check. I suggested literature because, with all due respect, good writers will write better than even the best game developers here, so you might get some ideas for flow and progression that a lot of games miss out on. But yeah, if you just want to get inspiration to power through your game, playing other games is fine.

ManicNSFW

Feb 20, 2019
Sure, you could. There's a danger of copying another game too closely in that scenario, but you should be able to keep that in check. I suggested literature because, with all due respect, good writers will write better than even the best game developers here, so you might get some ideas for flow and progression that a lot of games miss out on. But yeah, if you just want to get inspiration to power through your game, playing other games is fine.
Actually do you have any reading recommendations. Even if I was super eager to read I wouldn't know where to start looking for erotica.

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
Actually do you have any reading recommendations. Even if I was super eager to read I wouldn't know where to start looking for erotica.
is a good site that I visit pretty often. For specific reading recommendations, that depends on what genres you'd be interested in. You can check their categories, see which floats your boat. Stories can be rated/reviewed, so the popular ones will all have high ratings, there's a hall of fame list for each category, so you can quickly check the highest rated or most popular stories. Plus their search tool is pretty robust.

Some of the stories can be pretty long, so skip those in the beginning, and just go for the shorter stories. My favourite stories might not do it for you, but here are a couple of decent short ones from my list: