How would you like the game to progress?

• Keep going as Visual Novel with some choices and linear story

Votes: 1,699 65.1%
  • Branch to sandbox with map, stats and RPG elements at certain point

Votes: 910 34.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Naughty Three

Game Developer
Jun 1, 2022
hey thanks for the android version, but several events are showing errors, almost making the game unplayable especially in hypnosis sessions
Restarting the game from scratch and quick-scrolling through text that is already read will prob fix it

DarkLoki

Oct 25, 2018
So, what do we expect will happen with this game and others like it now that Patreon is acquiring f95? I've not found any site even close to as comprehensive as this site.

The Naughty Three

Game Developer
Jun 1, 2022
So, what do we expect will happen with this game and others like it now that Patreon is acquiring f95? I've not found any site even close to as comprehensive as this site.

We can still theoretically think about what will happen. In my opinion, the main danger to this game is not Patreon, but the initially chosen strategy. I chose to outsource art and writing to professionals, which results in IMO great results, but significant expenses and longer update times (also impacting the number of supporters). Many developers create graphics and write themselves, and even if they lose, let's say, 80% (Patreon) of their income, but 20% (SubscribeStar and Steam) is left, it's unfortunate, but they don't go into the red.

If I were to start the game now from scratch, I would:
a) Create art using Stable Diffusion AI
b) Write most of the text myself and edit with an uncensored language model (LLM)
c) Make a sandbox rather than a pure visual novel to make scenes repeatable
d) Ensure zero expenses, since the game's niche is too narrow for commercial success

I would still make the game, as it's a passion project, and I enjoy creating and finishing things. The patrons/subscribers have been very friendly. However, the architecture would be very different, resulting in a game that is updated faster and more cost-effectively.

Last edited:

therealmrwolf

Dec 28, 2020
We can still theoretically think about what will happen. In my opinion, the main danger to this game is not Patreon, but the initially chosen strategy. I chose to outsource art and writing to professionals, which results in IMO great results, but significant expenses and longer update times (also impacting the number of supporters). Many developers create graphics and write themselves, and even if they lose, let's say, 80% (Patreon) of their income, but 20% (SubscribeStar and Steam) is left, it's unfortunate, but they don't go into the red.

If I were to start the game now from scratch, I would:
a) Create art using Stable Diffusion AI
b) Write most of the text myself and edit with an uncensored language model (LLM)
c) Make a sandbox rather than a pure visual novel to make scenes repeatable
d) Ensure zero expenses, since the game's niche is too narrow for commercial success

I would still make the game, as it's a passion project, and I enjoy creating and finishing things. The patrons/subscribers have been very friendly. However, the architecture would be very different, resulting in a game that is updated faster and more cost-effectively.
i think this game would be great for sandbox so i hope the next game you will make will be a sandbox game and to those who think sandbox is bad like you cant play one bad sandbox game and label them all bad and yes sandbox can be good also there is a ton of visual novel for you so dont worry you dont have be mad about the dev start making sandbox games

Reactions: The Naughty Three

therealmrwolf

Dec 28, 2020
Sandbox is bad.
tell me how is Sandbox also so the dev should not make sandbox games cos you think they are bad? can you give any good point for how sandbox is bad and i could say the same thing about visual novel

its okay there is alot of visual novel for you so its okay if the dev want to make sandbox also its up to the dev not if they want to make sandbox and i do think the dev themself want to make sandbox games more then visual novel

also sandbox is good

Reactions: SomeoneX22

RDFozz

Apr 1, 2022
Make a sandbox rather than a pure visual novel to make scenes repeatable
tell me how is Sandbox ... bad?
Like anything else, sandbox games have their good and bad points.

Sandbox games ideally tell stories that follow multiple story lines, with minimal crossover and mutual impact. The user can follow each story thread separately, at their own discretion and their own pace; following one storyline to the end shouldn't make all the remaining stories seem off or pointless.

Now, frequently, sandbox games involve some sort of threshold that must be reached to get to the next step in each storyline. These thresholds often require repeating certain events or scenes multiple times. This can result in what is called grind. If the amount of repetition gets out of hand, then the game becomes grindy. Being forced to repeat the same action over and over, even set scenes, gets dull. It's not uncommon for some players playing a sandbox game to decide that the repeated activities/scenes have become boring enough, by comparison to the scenes being unlocked, that the game isn't playable.

If your "game" has a real storyline, some people will play it to see the story unfold. For those people, a straightforward visual novel may be far more interesting than a game. I don't really feel the need to power through hundreds of battles to kill wolves in order to read the next actual bit of story. (An aside - having an extended prologue that's more like a visual novel to start thing off, then changing into more of a sandbox game is probably a bad idea - you've managed to eventually discourage everyone from playing).

For a story-oriented game to be interesting, the story that unfolds should be good - but the game's mechanics, the activities the you have to power through that do not directly progress the story, need to maintain the players' interest as well. A sandbox game with good game mechanics can survive a story that's mediocre; one with mediocre (or worse) game mechanics needs a spectacular story to be worthwhile.

That's my opinion, at least. My favorite "games" are the visual novels: Grandma's House, Crimson High, the early stages of Milfylicious (before the dev ran out of Nick Storming's material), and others. I'm by no means opposed to the existence of sandbox games, and have even enjoyed some; usually where the need for repetition of the exact same things is fairly minimal. And, of course, not everything in existence needs to be done so I personally will enjoy it; some things are not to my personal taste, and that doesn't necessarily make them bad. That said, I know I'm far more likely to find most sandbox games not to my taste, because they have failed (in my opinion) in some fashion at one of the points above.

Reactions: therealmrwolf

DarkLoki

Oct 25, 2018

Sandbox games ideally tell stories that follow multiple story lines, with minimal crossover and mutual impact. The user can follow each story thread separately, at their own discretion and their own pace; following one storyline to the end shouldn't make all the remaining stories seem off or pointless.

Now, frequently, sandbox games involve some sort of threshold that must be reached to get to the next step in each storyline. These thresholds often require repeating certain events or scenes multiple times. This can result in what is called grind. If the amount of repetition gets out of hand, then the game becomes grindy. Being forced to repeat the same action over and over, even set scenes, gets dull. It's not uncommon for some players playing a sandbox game to decide that the repeated activities/scenes have become boring enough, by comparison to the scenes being unlocked, that the game isn't playable.

If your "game" has a real storyline, some people will play it to see the story unfold. For those people, a straightforward visual novel may be far more interesting than a game. I don't really feel the need to power through hundreds of battles to kill wolves in order to read the next actual bit of story. (An aside - having an extended prologue that's more like a visual novel to start thing off, then changing into more of a sandbox game is probably a bad idea - you've managed to eventually discourage everyone from playing).

For a story-oriented game to be interesting, the story that unfolds should be good - but the game's mechanics, the activities the you have to power through that do not directly progress the story, need to maintain the players' interest as well. A sandbox game with good game mechanics can survive a story that's mediocre; one with mediocre (or worse) game mechanics needs a spectacular story to be worthwhile.

That's my opinion, at least. My favorite "games" are the visual novels: Grandma's House, Crimson High, the early stages of Milfylicious (before the dev ran out of Nick Storming's material), and others. I'm by no means opposed to the existence of sandbox games, and have even enjoyed some; usually where the need for repetition of the exact same things is fairly minimal. And, of course, not everything in existence needs to be done so I personally will enjoy it; some things are not to my personal taste, and that doesn't necessarily make them bad. That said, I know I'm far more likely to find most sandbox games not to my taste, because they have failed (in my opinion) in some fashion at one of the points above.
Actually, I prefer sandbox games, if they're done correctly. Too early to tell on this one, but the div is very responsive it appears

therealmrwolf

Dec 28, 2020

i just think its funny how people play one bad sandbox game and now they are all bad and yes sandbox game can be really bad if they are not done right but visual novel can also be really bad if the player does not feel part of the story/having choices

also im glad that you could give points and not just sandbox bad like most people do

Look-see

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2018
the only reason i would prefer not sandbox is the updates feel short as is and story moves slowish, not slow just slowish.

add sandbox on to that and well...i'd feel like i would try it every third update.

i like sandbox if its just adding the ability to add additional scenes without having to worry about a timeline in the game. basically everything that happens is when it happens.

therealmrwolf

Dec 28, 2020
the only reason i would prefer not sandbox is the updates feel short as is and story moves slowish, not slow just slowish.

add sandbox on to that and well...i'd feel like i would try it every third update.

i like sandbox if its just adding the ability to add additional scenes without having to worry about a timeline in the game. basically everything that happens is when it happens.
the problem is when people just say sandbox bad or i hate sandbox and its like why like did you play one bad sandbox and now they all sandbox

i like sandbox cos it makes you feel like you are doing something and it give dev ability add other thing then just the sex like in visual novel

also i dont really care about the story i care more about am i having fun playing and do i feel being part of the game

Apr 18, 2022
i just think its funny how people play one bad sandbox game and now they are all bad
I find it funny that you just makes baseless assumptions like that, in fact it is quite ironic since you are basically complaining about people generalizing while you are painting a vast number of people with one stroke. There are plenty of examples of bad and mediocre sandbox games, especially on this site. Even many of the good ones could often benefit from toning some elements down to avoid pointless grind. Granted some people like the grind, seem like most don't.

What I haven't seen is people judging all sandboxes based on a single bad one. I really think that is a notion more living in your head rather than reality.

the problem is when people just say sandbox bad or i hate sandbox and its like why like did you play one bad sandbox and now they all sandbox
People not explaining themselves is not the same as them not having an explanation. It isn't wise to assume that they just had a bad experience and are now judging too harshly.

i like sandbox cos it makes you feel like you are doing something and it give dev ability add other thing then just the sex like in visual novel

also i dont really care about the story i care more about am i having fun playing and do i feel being part of the game
You could learn a bit from RDFozz. Just like his dislike doesn't automatically makes a sandbox bad, your likes doesn't automatically makes them good. For a person complaining that people don't explain themselves, you have actually done very little to explain why they are good and instead just stated preference.

Doing something gives you a sense of agency, cool, but that is not an ubiquitous feeling in all people.

Other things than just sex can also be added in a more linear game, it is a false notion to think that a sandbox is necessary for that.

Not caring about the story is again a preference and it is a really important reason why you don't like a VN, because tight story is its strength and therefore also the reason why one might prefer it.

sandbox game can be really bad if they are not done right but visual novel can also be really bad if the player does not feel part of the story/having choices
There is a really important distinction here. Bad sandbox is down to game mechanics, whereas isn't. Some people like kinetic novels. It isn't bad design to have little to no choice, that is simply just genre, design choice and preference. Note that not feeling part of the story can happen regardless the type of game.

Now this have been a long enough post as it is, but let me just end here with that currently my favorite game is a sandbox, I don't dislike them in anyway, despite what it may seem like from my wall of text. The best thing for a game is to recognize which type of game that would suit it the most and play to each genre's strength and minimize its weaknesses.

• Haha

therealmrwolf

Dec 28, 2020
I find it funny that you just makes baseless assumptions like that, in fact it is quite ironic since you are basically complaining about people generalizing while you are painting a vast number of people with one stroke. There are plenty of examples of bad and mediocre sandbox games, especially on this site. Even many of the good ones could often benefit from toning some elements down to avoid pointless grind. Granted some people like the grind, seem like most don't.

What I haven't seen is people judging all sandboxes based on a single bad one. I really think that is a notion more living in your head rather than reality.

People not explaining themselves is not the same as them not having an explanation. It isn't wise to assume that they just had a bad experience and are now judging too harshly.

You could learn a bit from RDFozz. Just like his dislike doesn't automatically makes a sandbox bad, your likes doesn't automatically makes them good. For a person complaining that people don't explain themselves, you have actually done very little to explain why they are good and instead just stated preference.

Doing something gives you a sense of agency, cool, but that is not an ubiquitous feeling in all people.

Other things than just sex can also be added in a more linear game, it is a false notion to think that a sandbox is necessary for that.

Not caring about the story is again a preference and it is a really important reason why you don't like a VN, because tight story is its strength and therefore also the reason why one might prefer it.

There is a really important distinction here. Bad sandbox is down to game mechanics, whereas isn't. Some people like kinetic novels. It isn't bad design to have little to no choice, that is simply just genre, design choice and preference. Note that not feeling part of the story can happen regardless the type of game.

Now this have been a long enough post as it is, but let me just end here with that currently my favorite game is a sandbox, I don't dislike them in anyway, despite what it may seem like from my wall of text. The best thing for a game is to recognize which type of game that would suit it the most and play to each genre's strength and minimize its weaknesses.
well if they have an explanation then give it most people just go sandbox bad and thats it also when did i say there was not bad sandbox ofc there is bad sandbox but you cant say all sandbox games are bad you played one bad one so please point out where did i say sandbox games cant be bad

also the guy reply first went sandbox bad so yes people do say sandbox is bad cos they played one bad sandbox

and at end of the day if the dev want to make sandbox let them do it and yes i would say not a good mechanic to have no choice in novels cos what else is that to do like is the story 10 out of 10 most likey not

Apr 18, 2022
well if they have an explanation then give it most people just go sandbox bad and thats it also when did i say there was not bad sandbox ofc there is bad sandbox but you cant say all sandbox games are bad you played one bad one so please point out where did i say sandbox games cant be bad

also the guy reply first went sandbox bad so yes people do say sandbox is bad cos they played one bad sandbox

and at end of the day if the dev want to make sandbox let them do it and yes i would say not a good mechanic to have no choice in novels cos what else is that to do like is the story 10 out of 10 most likey not
1) I never stated that you said sandbox games can't be bad, so why would point that out.
2) Yes, some people say sandboxes are bad, but you can't just assume that they are basing that on a single game. It is not people's statement that is the problem, it is your baseless assumption.
3) Liking the story can be enough and if said story is the main focus, telling it in a tight structured manner can enhance it more than if it were told in a sandbox, with less tight structure. It is the same reason some games are linear.

3.20 star(s) 11 Votes