My own renders within a render question

Apr 30, 2018
Apologies if this has been asked before (and it probably has but i couldn't find it on the search) but how do i add a render i've already made into a render i'm currently working on. For example i want to add an image to a phone or a laptop screen?

Many thanks

Reactions: Mikedazz1

Leobbb

May 24, 2019
I would not use 2d postprocessing on renders to do that. Assuming you use Daz Studio with Iray shader you should select your phone or laptop object, go to surfaces, find proper surface for the screen and change diffuse->reflection->base color. It has a dropdown arrow that lets you browse your files for texture file and use it on the screen. This way you don't lose any lighting effects like reflections or mirror effect and so on, depending on the lights you use in your scene. It will look much better than simply pasting your image with photoshop on a ready render.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I would not use 2d postprocessing on renders to do that. Assuming you use Daz Studio with Iray shader you should select your phone or laptop object, go to surfaces, find proper surface for the screen and change diffuse->reflection->base color. It has a dropdown arrow that lets you browse your files for texture file and use it on the screen. This way you don't lose any lighting effects like reflections or mirror effect and so on, depending on the lights you use in your scene. It will look much better than simply pasting your image with photoshop on a ready render.

Leobbb

May 24, 2019
Sure it's possible in photoshop, but the question was about Daz renders. What if op wants someone finger pointing on something on the screen with proper shadows? Or thumbs writing a message on a phone? Or an animation? All these scenarios only require putting a texture on the screen surface literally taking few seconds for someone that knows Daz interface and it's all set up ready for render. Do you really want to import a genesis figure into photoshop to do that?

If we are talking about general 3d tasks photoshop is a bad choice. People don't even discuss it when choosing 3d software to do something. It's all about blender vs maya vs 3dsmax. Daz studio also has a special place providing rigged human genesis figures and lots of assets ready on the marketplace to save time. 3d in photoshop is not worth learning.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
but the question was about Daz renders.
you might mention to your doctor that you're hallucinating. OP did not mention Daz. Very few developers on here use Daz studio. Nobody in Hollywood uses Daz studio. If you google "3D software" Daz studio doesn't show up until like page 47 of the search results. To call it not-popular would be an understatement.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
What Leobbb said, plus, to add more realism, add the same image to the emission color and luminance channels. This way the screen will emit light, like a real screen does.
Look at the ceiling and the reflections on both the cupboard and ground:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You can put video on that TV screen in Renpy, Unity, 3D programs. Not in Daz Studio of course, but you knew that.

Last edited:

Leobbb

May 24, 2019
you might mention to your doctor that you're hallucinating. OP did not mention Daz. Very few developers on here use Daz studio. Nobody in Hollywood uses Daz studio. If you google "3D software" Daz studio doesn't show up until like page 47 of the search results. To call it not-popular would be an understatement.
What's you problem man? Daz studio is the most used 3d software here by a far margin. Almost every trending game with 3dcg tag here uses Daz studio renders, recreation's game Bad Memories uses Daz studio renders, op's game One week Foxy uses Daz studio renders too. And you are going personal when someone corrects your mistakes. Calm down.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Exactly, and nobody uses renpy...
Just because you see a G3 female character in a game, don't assume the dev is using Daz Studio. Daz made characters to be used in other 3D programs, long before they made the "freebie" Daz studio program so you could preview the model.
Daz' V4 character has appeared in many movies, television shows, games, and comic books, not made in Daz Studio.
If you look closely at the images, you can tell who is using Daz Studio by the grainy images it produces. Another clue is animations, if a game has decent animations, it most likely was not made in Daz studio.

As for renpy visual novel engine, you are obviously being sarcastic, but some users of this forum may not understand that in google translate, and just think that you're incompetent. There are hundreds of renpy VN, and the vast majority of them were not made using Daz studio.

One of the pitfalls noob devs fall into getting into 3D, is thinking that they have to do everything in the 3D environment.
"Post production" is a big scary word. But that's where the art really comes into this. A technical render can be made by someone with no artistic ability, but it's lacking.

If you use my method posted above, creating a 3D model phone, with the image you want on the screen... while you're in photoshop, you can add all the fingerprints, cumstains, and grunge you want to that phone.. crack the digitizer, put some dents in the corners, and scratches on the surfaces. Really make it look like that ho been workin a street corner. You can use that model in any 3D program, or I don't know why you'd want to, but you could import it into Daz studio.

If you "buy my phone" from the Daz store... it aint dripping cum, there's no wad of chewing gum stuck on the back that she forgot about. It aint all banged up and realistic looking.

It took under 2 minutes to slap the image on a laptop in photoshop. If your fans are pouring milk, and you tell them it took you a week to buy a wad of gum in the Daz store, they might fall for that excuse once or twice, but eventually they will get tired of waiting, or you'll abandon the game from being burned out.

If you are just rendering 2D pictures from a 3D environment, and your fans will never have access to that 3D environment, then the product you are creating is just the 2D image. It's a hell of a lot faster to do some things in post work on your images, than it is to do it in the 3D environment.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Just because you see a G3 female character in a game, don't assume the dev is using Daz Studio. Daz made characters to be used in other 3D programs, long before they made the "freebie" Daz studio program so you could preview the model.
Daz' V4 character has appeared in many movies, television shows, games, and comic books, not made in Daz Studio.
If you look closely at the images, you can tell who is using Daz Studio by the grainy images it produces. Another clue is animations, if a game has decent animations, it most likely was not made in Daz studio.

As for renpy visual novel engine, you are obviously being sarcastic, but some users of this forum may not understand that in google translate, and just think that you're incompetent. There are hundreds of renpy VN, and the vast majority of them were not made using Daz studio.

One of the pitfalls noob devs fall into getting into 3D, is thinking that they have to do everything in the 3D environment.
"Post production" is a big scary word. But that's where the art really comes into this. A technical render can be made by someone with no artistic ability, but it's lacking.

If you use my method posted above, creating a 3D model phone, with the image you want on the screen... while you're in photoshop, you can add all the fingerprints, cumstains, and grunge you want to that phone.. crack the digitizer, put some dents in the corners, and scratches on the surfaces. Really make it look like that ho been workin a street corner. You can use that model in any 3D program, or I don't know why you'd want to, but you could import it into Daz studio.

If you "buy my phone" from the Daz store... it aint dripping cum, there's no wad of chewing gum stuck on the back that she forgot about. It aint all banged up and realistic looking.

It took under 2 minutes to slap the image on a laptop in photoshop. If your fans are pouring milk, and you tell them it took you a week to buy a wad of gum in the Daz store, they might fall for that excuse once or twice, but eventually they will get tired of waiting, or you'll abandon the game from being burned out.

If you are just rendering 2D pictures from a 3D environment, and your fans will never have access to that 3D environment, then the product you are creating is just the 2D image. It's a hell of a lot faster to do some things in post work on your images, than it is to do it in the 3D environment.
And once again you've proven that you have no clue about Daz.
... I was just about to start a long discussion about how grainy renders are the result of users not knowing what they are doing and that post can't fix everything and is often not even remotely as fast as you want to make it look, but honestly I neither have the time, nor the patience for this shit (again). So I'll go back to actually work on some 3D stuff instead of just talking about it, unlike other people in this thread ;)

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
but honestly I neither have the time, nor the patience for this shit (again). So I'll go back to actually work on some 3D stuff instead of just talking about it, unlike other people in this thread ;)
Patience is a virtue sweetie. Good luck with your project. I don't know why that guy started attacking members of the forum.

Apr 30, 2018
Wow that kinda blew up... thanks for the advice, yes i am a newbie developer and have some grainy renders, i dont have any patrons at the minute so can't afford or have the slightest clue how to use photoshop... and my master couldn't cope with more than one name so he called me ploppy

Leobbb

May 24, 2019
Don't worry ploppy, it's just one clueless guy that scares off real developers offering quality help. There is still a high chance if you start a thread about how to improve your renders you'll find a lot of nice advice.

Reactions: recreation

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Wow that kinda blew up... thanks for the advice, yes i am a newbie developer and have some grainy renders, i dont have any patrons at the minute so can't afford or have the slightest clue how to use photoshop... and my master couldn't cope with more than one name so he called me ploppy
You're welcome. If you can't afford photoshop there's GIMP which is free, but it doesn't do 3D

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Apologies if this has been asked before (and it probably has but i couldn't find it on the search) but how do i add a render i've already made into a render i'm currently working on. For example i want to add an image to a phone or a laptop screen?

Many thanks
Leobbb and recreation are on the money. While postprocessing in something using Photoshop or GIMP can definitely be done, there are limitations to it. There are essentially two approaches to insert a "screen" into a Daz Studio render. (Assuming, just to satisfy our resident Juvenile Frog Rabblerouser, that you're using Daz Studio.)

First, if you're using a mobile phone asset or a TV asset or whatever, there's a very good chance that it has a separate surface dedicated to the screen. You can find this out by (1) selecting the object in the scene view in DS, (2) going to the Surfaces tab and seeing what (3) surfaces the object has. If there is a separate surface for the screen, then (4) find the image used for the "Diffuse Color".
Capture.PNG

For this particular object, the diffuse texture looks like this:

valSmartphone_Diff.jpg

You can find the actual file by clicking on that little image that the "(4) annotation" on the drawing is pointing to, then select "Browse" - this should open a "Select file" window into the folder in which the image lives.

NOTE: Depending on the shader the object uses, "Diffuse Color" may be "Base Color". (The iRay Uber Shader uses "Base Color")

The thing to note is that, for some assets, the screen image isn't its own, separate file. Here, it's mixed in with other parts of the phone.

So, let's assume you've found the file.
  1. Make a copy of the file. Do NOT edit the original.
  2. Edit the copy so that the image you want to appear on the screen is in the place of the image that was being used.
  3. Save the copy in the same folder as the original. (Under a different name, obviously.)
  4. Click on that little arrow again, select Browse, and now select your copy instead of the original.
The key is that different assets use different UV maps, so the easiest way of getting your render on the asset's screen correctly is to use their texture as a template.

As mentioned earlier, if the surface is set up to emit light, putting the same image into the "emission" map will give a much stronger impression of an illuminated screen.

So, what do you do if the asset doesn't have an easy-to-deal-with separate surface? Well, another solution is to:
  1. Create a "plane" primitive. (Create >> New Primitive... menu.
  2. Apply the iRay Uber Shader to it. (In your "Content" folder, Shader Presets >> Iray >> DAZ Uber >> !iRay Uber Base)
  3. Create a texture file for it (example, JPEG image with your "screen") and apply it to the Base Color on the plane. Also, as mentioned before, apply it to the Emission Color.
The thing you have to watch out for here is that the plane primitive will be square. If you reshape the plane into a rectangle to make it match your screen, it will distort the image you're using as the screen image. The easiest way of dealing with that is to "stretch" your screen image so that it is square. Then, when you resize the plane to make it rectangular, this will counteract the stretching you did in the original image, and things should look OK. The alternate is to expand your image's canvas to make it square, but either:
  1. Fill the "expanded" area with a transparent color. This will require using an image format like PNG instead of JPEG, or.
  2. Create an opacity map (a separate black-and-white texture telling DS where you want the plane to be opaque and where you want it to be transparent) and apply that to the "Cutout Opacity")
The "just stretch the original texture" is a bit simpler, however, and also makes it easier to use the same texture for the emission channel.

So, that's a bit long-winded, but hopefully gives you what you need.

And, finally... develop your own opinion on the quality and veracity of anything posted by members of this site. Certain members have a tendency to be deliberately inflammatory...

Apr 30, 2018
Leobbb and recreation are on the money. While postprocessing in something using Photoshop or GIMP can definitely be done, there are limitations to it. There are essentially two approaches to insert a "screen" into a Daz Studio render. (Assuming, just to satisfy our resident Juvenile Frog Rabblerouser, that you're using Daz Studio.)

First, if you're using a mobile phone asset or a TV asset or whatever, there's a very good chance that it has a separate surface dedicated to the screen. You can find this out by (1) selecting the object in the scene view in DS, (2) going to the Surfaces tab and seeing what (3) surfaces the object has. If there is a separate surface for the screen, then (4) find the image used for the "Diffuse Color".
View attachment 524665

For this particular object, the diffuse texture looks like this:

View attachment 524669

You can find the actual file by clicking on that little image that the "(4) annotation" on the drawing is pointing to, then select "Browse" - this should open a "Select file" window into the folder in which the image lives.

NOTE: Depending on the shader the object uses, "Diffuse Color" may be "Base Color". (The iRay Uber Shader uses "Base Color")

The thing to note is that, for some assets, the screen image isn't its own, separate file. Here, it's mixed in with other parts of the phone.

So, let's assume you've found the file.
  1. Make a copy of the file. Do NOT edit the original.
  2. Edit the copy so that the image you want to appear on the screen is in the place of the image that was being used.
  3. Save the copy in the same folder as the original. (Under a different name, obviously.)
  4. Click on that little arrow again, select Browse, and now select your copy instead of the original.
The key is that different assets use different UV maps, so the easiest way of getting your render on the asset's screen correctly is to use their texture as a template.

As mentioned earlier, if the surface is set up to emit light, putting the same image into the "emission" map will give a much stronger impression of an illuminated screen.

So, what do you do if the asset doesn't have an easy-to-deal-with separate surface? Well, another solution is to:
  1. Create a "plane" primitive. (Create >> New Primitive... menu.
  2. Apply the iRay Uber Shader to it. (In your "Content" folder, Shader Presets >> Iray >> DAZ Uber >> !iRay Uber Base)
  3. Create a texture file for it (example, JPEG image with your "screen") and apply it to the Base Color on the plane. Also, as mentioned before, apply it to the Emission Color.
The thing you have to watch out for here is that the plane primitive will be square. If you reshape the plane into a rectangle to make it match your screen, it will distort the image you're using as the screen image. The easiest way of dealing with that is to "stretch" your screen image so that it is square. Then, when you resize the plane to make it rectangular, this will counteract the stretching you did in the original image, and things should look OK. The alternate is to expand your image's canvas to make it square, but either:
  1. Fill the "expanded" area with a transparent color. This will require using an image format like PNG instead of JPEG, or.
  2. Create an opacity map (a separate black-and-white texture telling DS where you want the plane to be opaque and where you want it to be transparent) and apply that to the "Cutout Opacity")
The "just stretch the original texture" is a bit simpler, however, and also makes it easier to use the same texture for the emission channel.

So, that's a bit long-winded, but hopefully gives you what you need.

And, finally... develop your own opinion on the quality and veracity of anything posted by members of this site. Certain members have a tendency to be deliberately inflammatory...
Thank you once again to everyone it's worked perfectly!!

1579647647387.png