VN - Ren'Py - My Sister & I [v0.7c] [Tortilla Dreams]

1. 4.00 star(s)

BigBlob69

Review of v0.7c

AVNs in the brother-sister genre normally follow the same pattern. The mc starts to notice how attractive his sister is, there's a lot of perving and teasing, and eventually through choosing the right dialogue options they get together, after which you get a bunch of lewd scenes and then the story ends. This is often strung out by having multiple other girls (typically including a mother).

My Sister & I bucks this pattern. Firstly, the brother and sister get together much sooner than typical. Secondly, there are no other love interests. And thirdly, this is a linear game: choices make very minor changes to scenes (e.g. what outfit someone wears) rather than change the direction of the story. Totilla Dreams is telling you the story of a single romance, and you are here to enjoy the ride.

This is refreshing, but also problematic. You see, there are good reasons for the usual brother-sister tropes. Once the siblings accept their love and get together, you lose the central tension in the story. My Sister & I has yet to solve this issue; nothing of import has really happened since that climax. The story feels aimless. And there aren't any other LIs to drive things forward. This isn't helped by the fact that the other girls in the game are both unobtainable and extremely attractive, teasing horny players like myself.

Still, the choice to restrict the mc to his sister has allowed for some beautiful moments which are ultimately why I am giving this 4 stars. Lines like "Even if it's odd, it's always nice when someone finds love, no matter what form it takes" hit me where it hurts (the heart).

It bears mentioning that the English is poor. It's evident that it's not the developer's first language. Gruesome grammar, incorrect idioms, poor punctuation and spelling snafus; it's all there. But ultimately I was able to overlook it and even found it a bit endearing. The meaning behind the words is still apparent and potent.

Some miscellaneous points:
    • It's a bit naughty of the dev to use music from things like Studio Ghibli without a licence, but that shit elevates anything it's used with (and we are on a piracy website...).
    • There are some extremely janky "animations" at the start which were clearly recorded by moving the camera by hand, and even towards the end of the current version I found graphical glitches.
    • The sister's model is very cute and attractive, but the blushing is overdone in my opinion.
    • I don't know why AVN devs think that women get pleasure from shaking their breasts, but don't try it irl.
    • I'm never a big fan of timeskips, and this game is very much guilty. At least give us a little text summarising what happened. And the idea that a tight-knit group of friends would wait 2 months between meetups is too depressingly real.
    • We know the game isn't really loading, but those cards are kinda cute anyway.
    • In the first proper sex scene the dialogue was awful, but this is (quite a lot) later given an explanation. Turns out the sister is a kinky degenerate like us :LOL:.
    I know this reads like a 3 or even 2 star review, and it probably should be. But look, I'm a sucker for a romance with a cute, sexy sister, and I'm optimistic that Tortilla Dreams can get the story going again.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

Deadnoz

Cant wait for the dev to get it proofread correctly...

Until then its a cute and straight forward game.

has great music despite it being music that i recognize from other games/anime and i doubt he has rights to play it, but i wont say anything because idk if its copywrite free or not.

Once you reach a moment, the animations really do get better though, although short loops they offer alot of angles and different styles instead of what alot of animators do (even the big time VNS out there do this) where a single loop with no variation. so that was a +, bumped from 1 to 2 stars alone for effort

although it has many (MANY) issues...

like the transitioning between events (and i dont mean the SpongeBob flashcard transitions).

it also has many problems where they mix up whos saying what at many points.

And i dont know how to describe my reasoning behind this but their thoughts and slight actions in parenthesis just seem weird or poorly handled, idk.

it was early in the game, but there were also art issues where things didnt sync up correctly (a lot of times where claire had 2 layers of different hair lol - and dont you dare say its styled that way, its poor and lazy) but hopefully that can get fixed with a touchup of earlier content later down the line.

There is also scenes that were out of correct order, like it moved to a new scene where everyone moved and then 2 chat frames its back to the old one, even though there was no reason for them moving the way they did

The music volume is also stuck at 60%, no matter how many times i change the music volume, once i open the VN again, its right back to 60%

animattions (so far) have been pretty janky, although the jankyness of it kinda feels okay, its kind of like you are the tenative eyes of the MC, although it really is just poor camera control lol

LAter on in the VN, "loading screen" transitions start appearing instead of the normal transition screens where they explain where they are going. just my opinion on this matter but its pretty bad lol. much prefer the other method atleast over loading screen

(will add things as i find them, which seems frequent lol)

2/5 will revisit review further down the line because it has potential. despite all the problems ive found i still wished to continue on just because its a cute little feel good story.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Abhishek_tanwar

I like the game because of simplicity of story line direct approch of character.

This game is not like other where relationship hangs for a decade. While character development is really good and i know game is focused on one Li, I hope dev add a Milf Li and give same relationship choices with her too.

I like the animations and Li look beautiful. So overall I loved it.
  4. 3.00 star(s)

qljrnt6jc4eh2

Game version: 0.6

I can't remember why I bookmarked this game back at version 0.5.
    It's straight outta boretown. Too much redundant text, too little lewdness. These devs need to learn how to keep us interested into their games.. guess what- it's not the story (in some rare cases, it is; but not here!!).
    The animations are mediocre, one (handjob inside the MC's room) ramped my cpu up to 100% and I still don't know the reason.

EDIT: Since the game (along with its lewd scenes) got distinctly better in 0.6, I'm gonna add another star for this improvement.

TL;DR: Boring game. Sweet "sister". Redundant story. No recommendation so far.
  5. 2.00 star(s)

Myrroddin

EDIT: the early animations are not moving at hyperspeed, as I wrote below. The animations are playing on top of each other, with more than one animation playing simultaneously.

If I could, I would give My Sister and I 2.5 stars, right in the middle, but half ratings are not possible, thus 2 out of 5 stars. Reading the other reviews, I agree with most, if not all, of what has been said.

Playing the game, you can clearly tell this is an alpha build, with several errors that are not corrected with each update. In the beginning, the transition cards blink and disappear rather than stay until the player clicks.

The early animations move at hyperspeed. English is not the developer's first, possibly not even second or third, language, making the spelling and grammar awkward. Even when the English is correct, several lines of dialog are not natural, as though the developer learned the "absolute" translation rather than how people truly speak.

My Sister and I gets better as the game progresses. The transition cards stay until clicked, and the animations move at a better pace. However, there are still glaring errors in English, and even with the transition cards, the time skips do not feel correct.

I found a missing file error, but forgot to note where I was during game play; it was before the beach vacation.

It isn't all bad news. One of the good things about My Sister and I is the focus on Claire and the MC, with the other characters serving as background story advancement. Ams obviously wants to sleep with Claire, yet is content with her relationship with Jen, which makes me, as the player, feel as though something is missing during the lingerie shopping trip.

The images are teasing Ams and Claire getting together, but the story does not back up this idea.

The models look good, even though their emotions are understated in their facial expressions. Often, the player must read the story instead of looking at the images to get what the characters are feeling. We are being told, not shown.

A few times, the dialog is assigned to the incorrect character. I've had at least three or four occurrences of Claire speaking, but the game attaches the dialog to the MC.

Summary: the story is focused on Claire and the MC, which is good. The images and eventually the animations are pleasant. Sadly, the things leading up to those that will give the player "I quit" moments long before the game gets going. The English needs a proofreader, the early game will drive players away, and the later story, at least up to the beach vacation, feels incoherent.

Your results and enjoyment may vary.
  6. 3.00 star(s)

echilog

just, kinda a Meh game.. while it isn't bad or annoying to play.
    I has almost nothing unique.
    The the classic Honey select animations that you have seen 10000 times. and that get boring real quick.
    The Is fetish is always a plus for some, but thats about it.
  7. 2.00 star(s)

An_Able

I debated giving the game three stars but I think there's just not enough good here for that. The premise is kind of cliché, but having just the one love interest is a nice change of pace. I also quite liked the banter between some of the characters, though I'd go so far as to say there's too much of it since characters sync humor types way too fast.

However, the good is overshadowed by the bad. The pacing is brutal, it goes between dragging its feet to full-on timeskips in the blink of an eye. The grammar is headache inducing, it definitely needs a proofreader stat. The dialogue was too expository at times, especially when characters would start talking about memories they shared. The renders are pretty weak and the music is so generic it may as well not have been there.

It really kills me to say this because there's clearly potential here but as it stands, I don't think this is worth anyone's time. There are just better alternatives out there.
  8. 4.00 star(s)

MadRogueTheKnight

Just finished the game and man... it's a fine game, I can tell you that.

Story-wise, it was the usual cliche even for an incest-based love story. However, and these are the points that made it truly shine:

1 - the fact that you get one love interest. Sure, I love harem games as much as the next person, but playing My Sister and I made me realize how a one-on-one story with the one, true love of the MC can be just as enjoyable, if not even more.

2 - the added effort on the backstory. Sure, we don't get to see any of it, but honestly seeing the MC and Claire relieving memories about their past adds a heavier layer of meaning to the game, and it shows that these are anything but shallow characters.

3 - the constant, heartwarming banter between these two. It just ties everything together nicely.

On the more technical side, the game is a bit rough. I just have to be honest here. Many points were already covered in other reviews so I'll just add the point about transitions. I really missed those in the game, because the change from one scene to the other felt really broken and rushed, I even checked the game's options to see if I had turned them off by mistake.

That paired to the sometimes buggy/misplaced renders complete with dialogue filled with many overseen mistakes dragged down the experience quite a bit. Thankfully the game is still in it's early stages of development so it makes these issues a bit easier to solve.

Overall, My Sister and I is definitely a gem in the making. Even with some of the rough setbacks mentioned by me and many others, it's an enjoyable, heartwarming game with an enormous amount of potential.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

ECCwnere

I can see how someone can dock points for the scenes sometimes being weird and inconsistent and some changes moving weirdly but the story is amazing. The witty banter between the two main casts is great. I've laughed so much. The back and front is beautiful and you can really tell they care about each other. Refreshing to see from all the constant haram games around here to see some good romance. Appreciate all the backstory and events that they developed as It gives them life. Good story, and all the visual issues/grammer can be improved with time so not really an issue for me.
  10. 3.00 star(s)

Geralt_R

My Sister And I is one of the rare games that features just one love interest. The sister of the MC. It's a cute and overall very wholesome romance, there are no kinks, no flings with sidecharacters, just Claire, the sister.

It's a Honey Select game so you need to appreciate the typical HS aesthetic. Females look cute and pretty, but stylized... male characters can look weird.

However, you will never see the MC, this is a POV game with all the positives and negatives that come with it. So Claire will kiss empty air quite a few times. It is what it is, I would prefer a proper third person view, but quite a few players prefer POV, you can't make everyone happy. But generally speaking intimate interactions are usually greatly enhanced by having a fully visible MC.

The story is a typical slice of life story. The MC has had feelings for his sister for a long time. Eventually he left the family and Claire behind to study in a different town, hoping he could get over her. But to no avail. And then the story begins with Claire moving in with the MC, she's going to college now and becomes the MC's roommate.

Of course things heat up pretty quicky, as it turns out Claire also has feelings for her brother and as of update 0.5d the two even fully consumate their relationship.
    One thing I found pretty unrealistic is when Claire talks about her feelings with Amelie, a new friend she's known for only a couple of days. No one in their right mind would do that in that situation. Amelie is of course super cool with everything, but still, that Claire talks about everything with someone she barely knows is a bit of a stretch.

So while the story is maybe not entirely original and at times a bit unrealistic, it's always cute and wholesome through and through.

Where the game falls short is in the technical department. Honey Select renders can look a bit rough sometimes, especially so here. Claire is really pretty and cute fortunately (just check the screenshot), but environments can look a bit rough. Sometimes textures are very blurry, especially on the beach later in the game. The texture used for the MCs penis looks very weird in early scenes, like it's made of shiny plastic. That changes later though!
    The game also has animations. But early in the game they are low resolution, suffer from the strict POV approach (Claire kisses empty air...) and camera movement is very jerky and weird at times. Maybe the intention was to provide almost a VR like experience, as if the MC wears a go pro camera on his head, but camera movements are not smooth at all early in the game. As if someone jerks around a mouse that controls the camera. It looks very weird.
    Also, the animations don't have perfect loops. In chapter 5 one major scene with Claire and the MC does look better already, better resolution, better loops, but for some weird reason the narration does not really fit the animation at times. There's also a clip with Claire giving the MC a blowjob... and the two of them have a normal conversation. Maybe Claire is a ventriloquist.
    What I found somewhat disappointing is that many scenes (there aren't that many really though) just focus on Claire pleasuring the MC... and the MC never even thinks about reciprocating things, I don't think Claire would be happy about getting nothing out of several scenes. This changes in update 5, but before that poor Claire is not really properly taken care of. You learn through dialogue that the MC caresses her when they are in bed... but you really never see that other than in a very early scene between the two.

The renders also suffer a bit from a lack of expressions on the characters' faces. Claire hardly ever moves her lips, NPCs suffer from the same lack of facial expressions. You never think Claire is really talking. At times things are narrated that you never see in the render. I believe it's only in chapter 5 or so that Claire even actually laughs or smiles properly.
    Claire also has a weird blush, she blushes under the eyes, not the cheeks... and she more or less is always blushing. But you get used to it.

The game has music, lots of it, the music is ok, I found a few tracks a bit too distracting because they are too upbeat, I usually prefer somewhat calmer music when reading dialogue, but of course this is highly subjective.

So where does this leave things? My Sister And I is really sweet and cute. Claire as the love interest is maybe a bit too insecure at times (she stutters every now and then when too excited), but overall she's sweet and I think most people will like her. In a world of VNs featuring 10+ love interests and harems it's nice to have a VN that focuses on just one main love interest.

But the technical shortcomings are difficult to ignore. Things can look pretty rough. There are also some (not too many) spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
    Despite all that My Sister And I is still worth your time if you like games with just one love interest, and if you like wholesome, romantic, lovey-dovey slice of life games without any drama (yet).
    Just temper your expectations when it comes to render quality and animations, but things improve over time.

It will be interesting to see how things progress. In theory the game could even end with the next chapter, since the MC and Claire are super happy together, have gone all the way, truly love each other and are 100% dedicated to their relationship. There's zero chance of any of them ever feeling any temptation by other characters. Based on what we know so far. But I guess some external influence may shake things up sooner than later.
  11. 1.00 star(s)

TheoWolf3

I wanted to like this but I just couldn't. Finally getting something of a believable incest story but it's matched with some of the worst renders and scrolling I've ever seen.

The camera will pan diagonally and then stutter step back to the middle, they're clearly doing it by hand and doing a terrible job. It's also just HoneySelect stuff so same asian dude everywhere.

WORST: No expressions on the girls faces. The most you get a slight smile and some blushing effect.

Oh and lots of *giggle* shit. I guess this is the devs first attempt at this stuff and as I got deeper in it got better so they're learning but..

Summary: Not worth the time to play or fap to. Pick something else
  12. 5.00 star(s)

CereBros

I do not want to write a hefty long review, even though this game more than deserves it, don´t get me wrong, but I must write something to be able to submit this rating so... As my ratings says, this game is excellent, I love the romance between them, the bond, the humor, plus the fact it is not pushy between them and they do get to form a love relationship with each other. It´s cute, it´s beautiful, it´s endearing, what more can one want. So, anyway I more than recommend this game as it surely deserves a bigger attention and good luck, developer, with this game.
  13. 2.00 star(s)

Deleted member 2553135

A very great romance, siscon game.

Pros
    Sister is well designed and feels good
    Renders are typically good
    Good romance story

Neutral
    Some of the dialogue is cheesy
    Renders

Bad
    The game has wayyy too much of a focus on the MC lesbo friends. It really takes away from the story and MC's relationship.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

MilfMaster9000

I love it! definitely a wincest, the sister is insanely cute, the chemistry between them is great, I also really dig the music , sort of upbeat/romantic slow jazz it really fits the taboo romance, at lease for me.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

___abbas___

It is a good game, nice story, a lovable relationship with a lot of wholesome moments. Of course, it has flaws, like it is pretty clear that the most important model in this game is the sister and the rest is just filler. But is it really that bad ?. The developers made it clear that the sister will be the only love interest, so for me, it is justifiable that she obviously gets most of the work done on her. The only issue for me was the animations, but they got significantly better in the last update, but there is still the issue of wrong images jumping between animations or a wrong animation pop out (like the case of cumming inside her, it gives you the animation for every position not the just position where you actually cummed in her) don't know if this is intentional or not. Regardless, I enjoyed the game immensely
    keep up the good work, devs.
  16. 2.00 star(s)

zaqrwe

Okay, I don't enjoy giving bad rewievs, but this game really has much to improve. The only good thing in it is the story, but story alone won't get it 5 stars.

Without beating around the bush, graphics is terrible. Game looks like it was made 10 years ago, not one year ago. While from time to time I saw some decent looking models, great majority is just ugly, angular, very frugal with polygons and poorly finished. Well, maybe background wouldn't be so noticeable if I was able to focus more on characters model, but I just can't. They look like taken from some asian game made a few years ago. You know, this type of game with standard of totally smooth nad flawless girls, and I mean literally without-single-blemish flawless. And actually sometimes I think it is only a single model with different clothes and altered body proportions. I mean, Ice Cream Guy, and Clarence despite being middle age men (with traits like facial hair, baldness, being fat) still have very feminine facial features, and again that flawless 15yo girl skin.
    And why is skin this reflective? I mean, dude is whipping his dick out of his pants for the first time, and I'm dazzled, because all I'm seeing is smooth flat surface that perfactly reflects the light. I know it's a saying that men polish his knob, but I'm pretty sure it's not to this extent. It hurts my eyes.. Oh, and don't forget about characters chronic facial paralysis. The peak of face movements I spotted on the renders was occassional blink of the eye, rest was totally poker faces. And why is Sister blushing right under her eyes? It's cheek that blush Mr. Author. The way it is now, it only makes her look more and more unnatural.

Animations also require lot of work. As far as I am currently (Claire's interview), they don't have proper loops, so there were very ugly breaks, when last frame hits and it goes back to first one again. Also sometimes when screen moves like it was suppose to move with MC's sight, there are weird sharp pauses. I mean, it's like very mechanical moves stop-pull-stop-pull instead of single smooth camera move.

I could go on more about issues with hair, clothes, shading, etc. but maybe it's enough. Story has potential, but the rest of it requires large amount of work to become presentable game.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

Thunderlord1738

very poggers wincest. don't hate on my virgin fantasies and dont mind the horrific stuff in the background. Anything other than the sister is a distraction. Story has my full support (inb4 who cares jackass)
  18. 4.00 star(s)

Sarkasmus

TL;DR;:
    - v0.5d
    - Models look cute and unique
    - Dirty Talk is spot on for this setting
    - Wholesome love-story without harem distractions
    - Dialogues feel protracted
    - quite fast-paced, not sure where this game is supposed to go

Right now, this game has very few negative aspects worth mentioning. The majority of those can be easily adressed by the dev, once he starts polishing. For example the typos and grammar problems. Or the weird moments when they have extensive conversations, while she is supposed to be occupied by giving a blowjob. Or the people hanging in the trees because he forgot to clean up copies.
    A little more problematic would be the needed overhaul of the dialogue. The characters think a lot. And not only are those thoughts not always distinguishable from spoken text, they are also way too long. To the point where even the dev saw the need to make the Characters comment on it.
    I mean, picture it: You're talking to some dude and, in the MIDDLE of the conversation, he suddenly goes all Walter Mitty on you, and just blankly stares into nothingness for two whole minutes. It's not just unnatural, it's also creepy as hell.

While constantly mentioning their relationship makes the dirty talk perfect for an incest game, it is simply weird in normal conversations. They almost NEVER use their names... this is something I've never seen or heard outside of Asian countries. Here, nobody would greet a family-member by saying something like "Good Morning, Sister"...

The pacing is also quite off. MC realized his feelings for his Sister and got so scared of not being able to contain himself, he ran off and (seemingly) avoided his entire family for two whole years. Then she suddenly moves into his apartement and within 24 hours they are a couple, perfectly happy and content with the implications. Now... here is where it gets spoilery:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  19. 2.00 star(s)

RandyPhoenix

Good Points
    + The reason i started this game was how sister looking pretty cute in screnshots and i can say im disappointed.
    + Story telling is kind of good, not great but good.
    + Renders looks decent enough (espacily after half of game) but they could have been better.

Bad Points
    - There is some dialogue problems, while MC talking we saw our sister name etc and if it was in last version content it would be ok but even in first parts of game have this problem which is should have patched until this update.
    - We have pretty little amount of content and lewd scenes which is little bit disappointed.
    - Half of game animations looks pretty bad and last half of them looks ok but still they are not more then mere 1 second gifs, im not telling we need 10-15 second long animations but come on... You could at least make them 2 second longer well maked loops and i dont even want to talk about how bad their physics are...

For The End
    Honestly this game could have better, its have potencial and i can see improvements but still its lacking a lot of thing, i want give 2.5 star but there is no 2.5 star so im gonna give 2 star, its not poor game but feels like little bit lower than average 3 star rating.
  20. 2.00 star(s)

CheerMaster

Review of v0.5d

Hey there, I've played the game up to the current release and decided to leave my two cents on it. It has some spoilers just in case anyone cares, you've been warned.

>Dialogue:

>Story:

>Decisions:

>Inconsitencies:

>Renders:

>Transitions:

>Models:

>Animations:

>Music:

>Sounds:

In short, you can see effort put into the game, and it has improved from the first release, you can see it while playing, but it doesn't deserve a rating above a 2/5 at the moment. It's impossible for me to like it in it's current state, the devs promised things that were not delivered at all, smashing my hopes for a game, that now I can't understand how, is somehow rated at almost 4.5/5 when writing this.
    I'll also add that you should set your priorities right, divide the time you put into the game into advancing the story and fixing the early versions, because they're honestly bad, and I doubt there're that many people who would endure going through them to reach the slightly improved recent releases, you'll only end up losing audience.
    The incest plot is nothing new, but the monogamy is as close of a breath of fresh air you could get at this point, for me at least, and I really liked this, it's what made me download it in the first place, to see how it played out. Aside from that, it has very clear flaws, the writing quality is above the average stuff here, but it's mostly unoriginal, and the maturity level of it is disappointing, which in my opinion is the worst of its issues. Being honest, it took a good deal of effort forcing myself to play due to cringing so often, the dialogues felt like a gruesome attempt to keep a porn game G-rated.
    Got a strong feeling the game was written imitating animes and their relationships, and the bad ones at that. Really, how the story developed felt like a bad romcom, all the common clichés like non-stop stuttering included, with some +18 sprinkled over it.
    The animations and transitions are pretty bad, and the renders don't deserve any kind of praise, they're average in the best of cases. Models are absolute beauties in the case of women, or really lame, in the case of men. Music is overall fine. Sounds need fixes.
    It'd be sad, and above all, very disappointing if this is how the finished product is expected to be. It strongly deviates from delivering the promised, and I quote here, "realistic incest dating experience, as realistic as such a thing might be of course." This has potential and I hope it is properly exploited.

As an ending note, I think it's pretty clear by now, but there's honestly nothing compelling nor worthy enough for you to invest your time on playing through.

I'll be back for the next update in hopes to see a much better product, and edit my review accordingly, of course.