Need a legal advice on incest and age of consent

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I think the best "workaround" around patreon rules against fictional incest is to let players decide if and how the secondary characters are related to the MC.
It is by far the most ridiculous one.

I don't remember the name, but recently I played a game where a guy came and started to yell at the MC, ready to starts a fight if needed, because he was sharing a drink with his roommate... What the fucking none sense is this ? Who the fucking fuck will goes all abusive big brother dictatorship over his roommate ?
The whole story make none sense if you don't bother to change the relationship, and don't make more if you haven't guessed it correctly.

If the author don't even care enough about his story to write something coherent when you don't change the relationship, why should we expect him to care more about the rest ? It's the story, the most important part of his game, and it don't make a bit of effort for it to looks good in all case ?

FemDom Fables Studios

Game Developer
Nov 13, 2021
It is by far the most ridiculous one.

I don't remember the name, but recently I played a game where a guy came and started to yell at the MC, ready to starts a fight if needed, because he was sharing a drink with his roommate... What the fucking none sense is this ? Who the fucking fuck will goes all abusive big brother dictatorship over his roommate ?
The whole story make none sense if you don't bother to change the relationship, and don't make more if you haven't guessed it correctly.

If the author don't even care enough about his story to write something coherent when you don't change the relationship, why should we expect him to care more about the rest ? It's the story, the most important part of his game, and it don't make a bit of effort for it to looks good in all case ?
Well, usually the author expects (and the audience, either knows what to do from the start or can easily deduce so from the context, but in that case you usually have to start over or tinker with the save files) the audience to know that when a game gives you an option to name relationships with the characters you live with (and often requires you to do it the second time, e.g., Anna is MCs... "sister" and that makes MC her... "brother"). If you have a better solution for it, I would be more than happy to implement it into my project, because I want to satisfy the "incest" part of the audience without having to release an "incest" patch with every update.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
If you have a better solution for it, [...]
Seriously ?

Since Patreon started its ban, the question is asked near to one a month. There's dozens of threads regarding this subject, this one being probably the most complete.

The main issue is that the characters behavior, reactions and motives aren't at all the sames depending on their relationship. I gave the example of the strangely over jealous roommate, but it apply at all levels.

By example a landlady have no reason to worry this much for her tenants' life. She can be nice a care for them, but in the end it's their life and she'll never go to the same extremes, and possibly anger, than a mother would. But the most fucked part is probably when the landlady give some pocket money or tell that she'll not pay anymore for your side expenses and that you have to find a job.
As for the motive, here again they aren't the same depending on the relationship. If it can be understandable that a landlady is reluctant to have sex with a tenant, because she in a position of authority and it could be perceived like a abuse coming from her, she'll never be as reluctant as a mother would be. And what about the roommates ? Why the fuck do they all react as if it was morally unacceptable to have sex with your roommate ?

Changing the relationship is never enough, because in one way or the other (so incest/none incest) the characters story would make no sense. It need to be something that happen more in depth in order to stay coherent whatever way the player will see it.

FemDom Fables Studios

Game Developer
Nov 13, 2021
Seriously ?

Since Patreon started its ban, the question is asked near to one a month. There's dozens of threads regarding this subject, this one being probably the most complete.

The main issue is that the characters behavior, reactions and motives aren't at all the sames depending on their relationship. I gave the example of the strangely over jealous roommate, but it apply at all levels.

By example a landlady have no reason to worry this much for her tenants' life. She can be nice a care for them, but in the end it's their life and she'll never go to the same extremes, and possibly anger, than a mother would. But the most fucked part is probably when the landlady give some pocket money or tell that she'll not pay anymore for your side expenses and that you have to find a job.
As for the motive, here again they aren't the same depending on the relationship. If it can be understandable that a landlady is reluctant to have sex with a tenant, because she in a position of authority and it could be perceived like a abuse coming from her, she'll never be as reluctant as a mother would be. And what about the roommates ? Why the fuck do they all react as if it was morally unacceptable to have sex with your roommate ?

Changing the relationship is never enough, because in one way or the other (so incest/none incest) the characters story would make no sense. It need to be something that happen more in depth in order to stay coherent whatever way the player will see it.
You're right, most of the time this solution doesn't make much sense if the players don't rename the relationships in the correct way, but there have to be some compromises if you want to give them the simplest solution to achieving incest without all the hustle of them going places to find the patch and then having to add/replace files in their game directory. That being said, thank you for the link; I will definitely read it through, and thank you overall for your contribution to this forum. You're super active here, bingeing a ton of valuable knowledge, almost like a human ChatGPT but with fewer mistakes :p

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017

If what you want to do is an incest game, you'll write it with the expectation that players will play it with the incest patch.

Yes, this means that character reactions will be garbage without it. Yes, you can write two sets of dialogue to cover all your bases.

But that's a shit ton of extra writing so that people can play your game in a way you don't intend it to be played. Who the fuck has time and motivation for that?

Edit: That said, IMHO in general it's better with a patch than choosing a relationship in game. You might want to sometimes call your sister Ash, Ashley, Sister, Sis, sibling, and so on.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
If what you want to do is an incest game, you'll write it with the expectation that players will play it with the incest patch.
Okay, and what about the people who support you ?
By default they'll not have access to the incest patch, and therefore will support you for a story that make no sense. Because it's how it works, you do not release the incest patch before the game is leaked, else it's easy to link you to it ; the community can't make a patch for a game that the community haven't played yet.

And what about all those who will get your game from SVScomics or one of the so many sites that also offer pirated games, but don't cares about patches ?
They'll not even know that an incest patch exist. All they'll see is a story that make no sense, and there's no chance that they'll decide to support you one day.

In the end, you'll make a game with for sole and unique target the F95zone community. Okay, it's the biggest community in the adult gaming scene, but it's still a small fraction of the adult games players.

But that's a shit ton of extra writing so that people can play your game in a way you don't intend it to be played.
Who the fuck has time and motivation for that?
Anyone who is serious enough, care enough about his story, and care enough about the people who will want to play his game.

It's your game, something that you are making because you want to share a story and an experience with the public. It's your creation, your baby, something that you're expected to care for, that you are supposed to present in the best light. It's a showcase for yourself, the practical representation of your personality and capabilities.
Why one would want for all this to just be "good enough" and to only make sense under very particular condition that just a minority will effectively meet ?

Oh, of course, it imply more works.
But you are ready for this in order to offer the best experience to the player and not make yourself looks like a cheap and lazy guy, right ? You want to make the best game possible accordingly to your capabilities, not just make something "good enough because fuck I'm tired of this shit", right ?
Therefore you are also ready to do this extra works. Ready to follow the constraint you imposed to yourself by voluntarily choosing Patreon to fund an incest game.
And if you are not ready for this, then why should we, the players, expect that you'll care more for the constancy of your story, the quality of your writing and CGs, and the small details that make the difference between an average and cheap game and a quality one ?

The story is the most important part of the game. If one isn't ready to goes at its maximum to present it in a good light, then you can be sure at 100% that he'll don't make more effort for all the rest.
In a time where there's around 500 new games started each year, and more than 3,500 games currently in progress, who want to loose his time with a game made by someone who's not ready to some efforts ? There's enough choice to fill your free time with quality content, no need to waste it with something that is, right from the starts, advertised as totally cheap and that will be full of inconstancy even when played as intended.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Oh, of course, it imply more works.
Cutting down your rather long reply to just one line :)

I agree with you in principle. Sure, it's better if you can do a game that's as good, complete, and coherent for any playthrough as possible.

I would say the biggest argument against it isn't that it's too much "work", but rather that it takes too much time. Time spent on writing storylines you don't really want to be played means less progress in what you'd consider to be the "main game". This can hurt your game and financial prospects as well.

I'm not doing an incest game, but I'm doing similar things. I try to not force sexual content so that players who want to avoid this or that girl can skip them. But I invest minimal effort into the alternative options. But maybe I'd have more supporters if I did "shorter" but "wider" updates if you know what I mean :)

Last edited: