Others RPGM Need advice ples..

dasdadadada

Dec 27, 2019
Hi, I have plan's to make some RPGM games and was wondering which program I should use, MV or MZ because it looks like more people use MV even tho it's older.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
The older versions have more plugins and more tutorials, because they have existed for longer.
New versions have a better performance, possibly new and up to date features.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Another thing to look for besides technical differences (ie the things Winterfire mentioned)
is I would look into weather or not the two programs can use the same art assets, and if not, then art asset availability may influence your decision.
I don't use RPGM nor have I looked into it much, but I do like to look into tile sets. Maybe (and this would need to be checked/confirmed/or denied) the two programs use two different size tile sets, maybe one uses a 32x32 size tile set, but the newer one might use only 64x64. In this case, just like the older one has more plug ins and more tutorials, it may have more usable art assets to explore. The newer one may have higher quality assets you can get, but you may be limited in your options.

similarly, for 3D models I went with Daz Genesis 8 because while it was still new all the artist I liked and that made content for it wore switching from G3 to G8 so I went with G8 just beacuse I wanted asset support, and after a year it had more assets than G8 (on account that Daz the program became more popular), and now that G9 is out G8 still has more art assets and will continue to have more for quite some time.

dasdadadada

Dec 27, 2019
Another thing to look for besides technical differences (ie the things Winterfire mentioned)
is I would look into weather or not the two programs can use the same art assets, and if not, then art asset availability may influence your decision.
I don't use RPGM nor have I looked into it much, but I do like to look into tile sets. Maybe (and this would need to be checked/confirmed/or denied) the two programs use two different size tile sets, maybe one uses a 32x32 size tile set, but the newer one might use only 64x64. In this case, just like the older one has more plug ins and more tutorials, it may have more usable art assets to explore. The newer one may have higher quality assets you can get, but you may be limited in your options.

similarly, for 3D models I went with Daz Genesis 8 because while it was still new all the artist I liked and that made content for it wore switching from G3 to G8 so I went with G8 just beacuse I wanted asset support, and after a year it had more assets than G8 (on account that Daz the program became more popular), and now that G9 is out G8 still has more art assets and will continue to have more for quite some time.
Oh thanks I see, and im gonna be using Koikatsu since its what I've been animating on for a while now and what grew my pixiv.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

XforU

Of Horingar
Game Developer
Nov 2, 2017
Pros and cons MZ
Pros
-Some quality of life changes.
-works better
-still gets updates
-high quality assets
Cons
-Less plug-ins
-Most plug-ins are paid
-less free assets
-less tutorials

Small note: You can't (legally) use assets from other Rpgmakers without owning them.

Reactions: dasdadadada