2D Need advice with this Slime Girl

Shadik

Game Developer
Jan 29, 2019
Hi guys!

Now I'm working on one game and when I showed it to some people I talk to, they told me that my style of drawing is a piece of shit.
Of course, I'm a little upset, but I'm ready to move on and improve my skills! Can you tell me what's wrong with my work?

Thank you in advance!
slime1.png
1.png

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Well certainly the people that are telling you that your art is "a piece of shit" isn't going to help you improve your artwork. Though I say it's far from shit because if you compare the two I say it's far from shit. Though It could use a bit of improvement and as an artist you should never stop trying to improve your art. With that said, here is my critique.

Color palette - The shadowing and highlights shouldn't be a bright white or dark gray as you portray in the 1st image. It should be a gradient of 3 colors, dark green, base green, bright green. Try to stay within the color of the base color you have. If you haven't, I suggest checking out and absorbing all the information pertaining to "color theory"

Anatomy - in your first image the feet could use a bit of work. Is she wearing boots? are those her feet? socks? it kind of breaks the image a bit since it so out of place compare to the rest of the drawing. To me it feels like it was half ass. The left arm (from our point of view) doesn't look proportion to the rest of the body, it looks "dislocated". Her chest, looks like you took the male top and stitched it with a female bottom, not sure if that's what you are trying to convey here, but there should be some development to the breast region, unless like I said above, you are trying to convey something else here.

Lighting - 1st Image - is the light source in front, on top, left, right? A lot of the shadow's you have are conflicting with one another. As you go down, shadows by the feet is completely gone? (there should still be some shadows down there)

2nd image, the lighting is a bit more better here, but is there a giant hole to the left that has a beam of light coming through? If i'm understanding it correctly they're in a cave yes? Light shouldn't be that prominent if they are, there should be a lot more shadows and only specks of highlights.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
To be honest, I think it looks good.

By good, I mean, it actually looks like art, it actually looks like you have tried to learn and make art. This is not shit, it is not garbage. It is mostly clean, and it tries to communicate an idea. This is what I think is core to most good art when art is a sub-medium to a story. I mean, I would use it for my games, it certainly seems final product quality ready to me.

By good, this is what I fear. your art and abilities at this point is at a level where, if you want to get better, it takes exponentially more work, practice, and skill for less and fewer improvements. it looks like you are right at the sweet spot of best bang for the buck. where bang is art quality, and buck is the amount of time it takes to make the art and the amount of total time you have spent getting good at art. at this point to try to get better would take much more work, and can be quite frustrating to keep practicing and studying because it just gets into the small and more abstract details of art and technique.

Not to mention, different people have different ideas of what good art looks like. maybe someone thinks you should simplify it, clean it up, maybe someone thinks it needs to be fully painted and shaded till it looks like real life, maybe someone thinks the proportions (anatomy) should be one way instead of another way.

To be honest, I find that everyone has to eventually say "this is good enough." and that can mean two things, it can be good enough for the game, or it could be good enough for you. sometimes good enough just depends on how much time you want to spend on each piece, which could really depend on the kind of game you are planning. I know one guy who wanted to make a comic, and it took him 10 years to finish drawing the last page and getting it published, he started in high school and was divorced by the time he finished, all because he held himself to a standard he couldn't really maintain.

one of the major things that controls the 'good enough' choice is sticking to a style. often artist have styles 1 because they like the look or 2 they like the work flow. often an artist style will change either as they get new skills and change their workflow, or because they optimize their work flow (such as using cell shading instead of hand shading for the sake of speed) often because art is undervalued as a source of income, so artist need to make work quickly in order just to compete with minimum wage.

You said 'style' specifically, so that may mean some fundamental changes in how your art is done. To be honest, I am really having a hard time saying anything is wrong with the style, because the style is a good standard. clean line work, cell shading, various features from anime styles and other styles. maybe the people you talked to didn't like the face because it makes them think anime and I find anything with any hint of an anime style (mostly big head big eyes) is a trigger for lots of people online because some uncultured people think anime and think of it as just filth.

If you haven't, I suggest checking out and absorbing all the information pertaining to "color theory"
sure, but a bit unpractical, I had a professor who has a phd in just color theory, there's lots to it and not the simplest thing to study up on.

my only suggestion that I think could help improve the artwork, without doing ton of work is, right now your character only has an outline, shadow color, base color, and highlight.it may be that the one base color makes the character look solid, instead of liquid.what you could do is make it so that it looks like they are transparent. the way you could do this and do it easily or simply without having to hand paint the whole thing is, think of adding a very dark, slightly desaturated green, and shading it ontop of the base color. make it so that when looking at, say some spot on the leg, such as the middle. the middle of the leg, the surface is pointed right at you, so you are looking staight through their leg when looking at the middle. Light goes through and is then absorbed by the slime, think of how a deep body of water gets dark. However, as you look at a point closure to the side of the leg, near the black line, it suddenly goes from dark to very quickly a bright green. this is because as you look on a point on the side of the leg, if light was to go straight through, instead of going all the way through the leg in the middle, it only goes through a small part of the leg near the side. think of how wide a pocket in your pants are, there are just on the side of your body. light would have to go from one corner of the pocket, through your leg, to the other corner. that is less distance then the diameter of your leg. so what happens is teh outside edges of the object tend to glow a bit since the light hasn't been absorbed. However, this may be a more advance technique and may not be easy the first go round.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Definitely not a piece of shit that's for sure. However the top picture looks a thousand time better then the actual scene, the blurriness ruins it, I'm thinking that's probably a you just woke up situation so it fits, however I hope there's a second CG without the blurriness.

Also I see that your going for petite, but Jesus Christ that chest is literally a board. Its more a 13 y/o boy if anything, you could at least give her a mosquito bite.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Also I see that your going for petite, but Jesus Christ that chest is literally a board. Its more a 13 y/o boy if anything, you could at least give her a mosquito bite.
I think mammals are the only things with breast tissue, so technically...
wait, why am I using logic for a nsfw game about a slime girl? never mind me...

Reactions: Shadik

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
I think mammals are the only things with breast tissue, so technically...
wait, why am I using logic for a nsfw game about a slime girl? never mind me...
True, however slapping a pair of tits on almost anything makes it better.

I'm sacred of the ocean because I don't like sharks, but if said sharks had a pair of mouth watering melons I would happily go deep sea diving without a scuba tank.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

Shadik

Game Developer
Jan 29, 2019
Well certainly the people that are telling you that your art is "a piece of shit" isn't going to help you improve your artwork. Though I say it's far from shit because if you compare the two I say it's far from shit. Though It could use a bit of improvement and as an artist you should never stop trying to improve your art. With that said, here is my critique.

Color palette - The shadowing and highlights shouldn't be a bright white or dark gray as you portray in the 1st image. It should be a gradient of 3 colors, dark green, base green, bright green. Try to stay within the color of the base color you have. If you haven't, I suggest checking out and absorbing all the information pertaining to "color theory"

Anatomy - in your first image the feet could use a bit of work. Is she wearing boots? are those her feet? socks? it kind of breaks the image a bit since it so out of place compare to the rest of the drawing. To me it feels like it was half ass. The left arm (from our point of view) doesn't look proportion to the rest of the body, it looks "dislocated". Her chest, looks like you took the male top and stitched it with a female bottom, not sure if that's what you are trying to convey here, but there should be some development to the breast region, unless like I said above, you are trying to convey something else here.

Lighting - 1st Image - is the light source in front, on top, left, right? A lot of the shadow's you have are conflicting with one another. As you go down, shadows by the feet is completely gone? (there should still be some shadows down there)

2nd image, the lighting is a bit more better here, but is there a giant hole to the left that has a beam of light coming through? If i'm understanding it correctly they're in a cave yes? Light shouldn't be that prominent if they are, there should be a lot more shadows and only specks of highlights.
I think I can redo these shadows and improve the color palette. Thank you!

To be honest, I think it looks good.

By good, I mean, it actually looks like art, it actually looks like you have tried to learn and make art. This is not shit, it is not garbage. It is mostly clean, and it tries to communicate an idea. This is what I think is core to most good art when art is a sub-medium to a story. I mean, I would use it for my games, it certainly seems final product quality ready to me.

By good, this is what I fear. your art and abilities at this point is at a level where, if you want to get better, it takes exponentially more work, practice, and skill for less and fewer improvements. it looks like you are right at the sweet spot of best bang for the buck. where bang is art quality, and buck is the amount of time it takes to make the art and the amount of total time you have spent getting good at art. at this point to try to get better would take much more work, and can be quite frustrating to keep practicing and studying because it just gets into the small and more abstract details of art and technique.

Not to mention, different people have different ideas of what good art looks like. maybe someone thinks you should simplify it, clean it up, maybe someone thinks it needs to be fully painted and shaded till it looks like real life, maybe someone thinks the proportions (anatomy) should be one way instead of another way.

To be honest, I find that everyone has to eventually say "this is good enough." and that can mean two things, it can be good enough for the game, or it could be good enough for you. sometimes good enough just depends on how much time you want to spend on each piece, which could really depend on the kind of game you are planning. I know one guy who wanted to make a comic, and it took him 10 years to finish drawing the last page and getting it published, he started in high school and was divorced by the time he finished, all because he held himself to a standard he couldn't really maintain.

one of the major things that controls the 'good enough' choice is sticking to a style. often artist have styles 1 because they like the look or 2 they like the work flow. often an artist style will change either as they get new skills and change their workflow, or because they optimize their work flow (such as using cell shading instead of hand shading for the sake of speed) often because art is undervalued as a source of income, so artist need to make work quickly in order just to compete with minimum wage.

You said 'style' specifically, so that may mean some fundamental changes in how your art is done. To be honest, I am really having a hard time saying anything is wrong with the style, because the style is a good standard. clean line work, cell shading, various features from anime styles and other styles. maybe the people you talked to didn't like the face because it makes them think anime and I find anything with any hint of an anime style (mostly big head big eyes) is a trigger for lots of people online because some uncultured people think anime and think of it as just filth.

sure, but a bit unpractical, I had a professor who has a phd in just color theory, there's lots to it and not the simplest thing to study up on.

my only suggestion that I think could help improve the artwork, without doing ton of work is, right now your character only has an outline, shadow color, base color, and highlight.it may be that the one base color makes the character look solid, instead of liquid.what you could do is make it so that it looks like they are transparent. the way you could do this and do it easily or simply without having to hand paint the whole thing is, think of adding a very dark, slightly desaturated green, and shading it ontop of the base color. make it so that when looking at, say some spot on the leg, such as the middle. the middle of the leg, the surface is pointed right at you, so you are looking staight through their leg when looking at the middle. Light goes through and is then absorbed by the slime, think of how a deep body of water gets dark. However, as you look at a point closure to the side of the leg, near the black line, it suddenly goes from dark to very quickly a bright green. this is because as you look on a point on the side of the leg, if light was to go straight through, instead of going all the way through the leg in the middle, it only goes through a small part of the leg near the side. think of how wide a pocket in your pants are, there are just on the side of your body. light would have to go from one corner of the pocket, through your leg, to the other corner. that is less distance then the diameter of your leg. so what happens is teh outside edges of the object tend to glow a bit since the light hasn't been absorbed. However, this may be a more advance technique and may not be easy the first go round.
Thanks a lot! I promise I'll improve my skills. Can you take a look at this sprite please? Does this demon's face still look like anime? demon2.png

Definitely not a piece of shit that's for sure. However the top picture looks a thousand time better then the actual scene, the blurriness ruins it, I'm thinking that's probably a you just woke up situation so it fits, however I hope there's a second CG without the blurriness.

Loli is a lifestyle. In fact, I've been told a lot about her Breasts, thank you, I'll redraw them!

Reactions: RedPillBlues

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Loli is a lifestyle.
Trust me i'm no stranger. While I wouldn't say loli is something I go out of my way to look for, I'm a fan, also I still think Bernd and the Mystery UnderAgeBach is one of the best VN's there is.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
I think I can redo these shadows and improve the color palette. Thank you!
Don't get the wrong impression here, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your choice of color, I'm referring to how you use those colors. I might of not explained it well, below are links to what I would consider a good starting point to understanding the basics of color theory, lighting and shadowing.

Color Theory

Color Harmony

These two videos should provide the foundations to what I was referring to in my first post. Again there isn't anything wrong with the color you chose, it's the way you used those colors is what I was talking about. As for shadows the following links

Understanding Shadow

There's no commentary on this video, but pay attention to the color palette on the left

Now this isn't to sway you into a directional art style, as an aspiring 2D artist (which I failed miserably, probably because my brain can't translate what I want to draw to my hands. Though oddly I understand the topics surrounding 3D objects and create them just fine.) These where the topics I came across when I was trying to learn 2D art. I see them as a foundation to further expand one's artistic skills. Like mention by a lot of people, art is subjective and isn't going to appeal to all, but this doesn't mean that the fundamentals that surrounds an artist's skill is.

Shadik

Game Developer
Jan 29, 2019
This is a very useful video, thank you very much!

Don't get the wrong impression here, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your choice of color, I'm referring to how you use those colors. I might of not explained it well, below are links to what I would consider a good starting point to understanding the basics of color theory, lighting and shadowing.

Color Theory

Color Harmony

These two videos should provide the foundations to what I was referring to in my first post. Again there isn't anything wrong with the color you chose, it's the way you used those colors is what I was talking about. As for shadows the following links

Understanding Shadow

There's no commentary on this video, but pay attention to the color palette on the left

Now this isn't to sway you into a directional art style, as an aspiring 2D artist (which I failed miserably, probably because my brain can't translate what I want to draw to my hands. Though oddly I understand the topics surrounding 3D objects and create them just fine.) These where the topics I came across when I was trying to learn 2D art. I see them as a foundation to further expand one's artistic skills. Like mention by a lot of people, art is subjective and isn't going to appeal to all, but this doesn't mean that the fundamentals that surrounds an artist's skill is.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Can you take a look at this sprite please? Does this demon's face still look like anime?
I would say yes*, but it comes with an asterisk*.

*I personally think it qualifies as anime "like"

I emphasize "like" because, at least with how I go about making art, I focus on very specific goals whenever I want to make anything. So I say, yes it looks anime "like" but really that doesn't say much more. If you were interested in my opinion, or any extra information, then let me frame the discussion around the idea of specific goals. What goals do you have when making the sprite?

Is your goal to try and mimic the anime style (as closely as possible)? Usually, when that is the goal, it is either because you are studying the art style, or because you want your game/art to give off the feeling of being anime (including all the goods and bads associated with having an art style that people see as anime). If this was your goal, then there would definitely be room for improvement. For now I won't give any advice for improvement just because I don't think this 'specifically' would be your main goal just because going full board anime is usually only done by those who really like anime, the like it enough to the point that they make their own manga characters and never show anything till it looks convincing.

Is your goal to be anime "like?" A goal like this would either indicate you were simply inspired by the anime art style, you what to give your art an anime vibe, but it is not critical that it looks exactly like a serious manga or an anime. In this case, I would say goal achieved, I think the eyes do communicate the vibe and taste of an anime style character.

Do I think there is room for improvement, yes. Right now, the eyes seem a bit wider than standard eyes. But since I have drawn my share of manga and anime styles, I know that not all manga and anime styles follow the same standards. anime/manga characters tend to have large round eyes (or at least for when they are depicting youthful, energetic, or innocent characters. by round I mean the ration is almost 1 to 1 in terms of height and width of the eyes), and they can go as far as smaller, vertically thinner, almost real-life eyes (used for more mature, less energetic, or less innocent characters. By vertically thinner, the eyes tend to be as you have them drawn, wider than taller, to simulate how real eyes and eyelids are).

So continuing with focusing on goals, let me expand to another idea. Art is a form of communication, even manipulation. Often my goals are just about communication. what do I want my art to do, to say, or what should it make the viewer think or feel? In your case, what is it about the eyes that you are trying to do. Are you just going for a style, or do you want to communicate something about your character? Do you want your character to look rather innocent? It kind of looks like you do with the cute pouting face she has. Or do you want her to have a darker history (less innocent?). You could communicate one or the other just by using different types of eye styles. You could even communicate their personality just from how their eyelashes are stylized.

So if you would like specifics, I could help you if you could describe to me what it is you are hoping to achieve with the sprite. Right now (at least in my mind) there is so many different things you could do, it is hard for me to make any recommendations yet.

Shadik

Game Developer
Jan 29, 2019
Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't say I want to achieve anime style. Yes, I like anime, but at the same time, I understand that anime some people don't have to like it. So I rather aim for my own style (which is only a bit like anime) so that people don't react like "Oh, this is another anime game." I would like my style to stand out from the others and be at least a little recognizable.

On account of transmission characters using the shape of the eye: Well, I'm working on it. In an example I can give the sprite of the Slime that was in the first post, and sprite looter. All these characters are somewhat distraught with loneliness and" rush " to the main character, so I would not say that they are innocent.
slime1.png 2.png
Also, I want my sprites to make people want to see more. That is, for a person to see, for example, a Marauder and a BOOM, this person wants to see more scenes with her. If you know what I mean.

I would say yes*, but it comes with an asterisk*.

*I personally think it qualifies as anime "like"

I emphasize "like" because, at least with how I go about making art, I focus on very specific goals whenever I want to make anything. So I say, yes it looks anime "like" but really that doesn't say much more. If you were interested in my opinion, or any extra information, then let me frame the discussion around the idea of specific goals. What goals do you have when making the sprite?

Is your goal to try and mimic the anime style (as closely as possible)? Usually, when that is the goal, it is either because you are studying the art style, or because you want your game/art to give off the feeling of being anime (including all the goods and bads associated with having an art style that people see as anime). If this was your goal, then there would definitely be room for improvement. For now I won't give any advice for improvement just because I don't think this 'specifically' would be your main goal just because going full board anime is usually only done by those who really like anime, the like it enough to the point that they make their own manga characters and never show anything till it looks convincing.

Is your goal to be anime "like?" A goal like this would either indicate you were simply inspired by the anime art style, you what to give your art an anime vibe, but it is not critical that it looks exactly like a serious manga or an anime. In this case, I would say goal achieved, I think the eyes do communicate the vibe and taste of an anime style character.

Do I think there is room for improvement, yes. Right now, the eyes seem a bit wider than standard eyes. But since I have drawn my share of manga and anime styles, I know that not all manga and anime styles follow the same standards. anime/manga characters tend to have large round eyes (or at least for when they are depicting youthful, energetic, or innocent characters. by round I mean the ration is almost 1 to 1 in terms of height and width of the eyes), and they can go as far as smaller, vertically thinner, almost real-life eyes (used for more mature, less energetic, or less innocent characters. By vertically thinner, the eyes tend to be as you have them drawn, wider than taller, to simulate how real eyes and eyelids are).

So continuing with focusing on goals, let me expand to another idea. Art is a form of communication, even manipulation. Often my goals are just about communication. what do I want my art to do, to say, or what should it make the viewer think or feel? In your case, what is it about the eyes that you are trying to do. Are you just going for a style, or do you want to communicate something about your character? Do you want your character to look rather innocent? It kind of looks like you do with the cute pouting face she has. Or do you want her to have a darker history (less innocent?). You could communicate one or the other just by using different types of eye styles. You could even communicate their personality just from how their eyelashes are stylized.

So if you would like specifics, I could help you if you could describe to me what it is you are hoping to achieve with the sprite. Right now (at least in my mind) there is so many different things you could do, it is hard for me to make any recommendations yet.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
So I rather aim for my own style (which is only a bit like anime)
All these characters are somewhat distraught with loneliness and" rush " to the main character, so I would not say that they are innocent.
and a BOOM, this person wants to see more scenes with her.
I think these are the three most important points you made.

I think what you could try to do to help with making your own style would be to try to be consistent. By consistent, I can tell you are using the same outline technique, such as with the lines that come in where the hips are at for both characters. so the way you do things like shadows and fingers and how they are consistent between characters are good. the two major things that are different is that the line weights of the slime girl look to be a bit thicker in places. I thought maybe the lines just look thicker because she is smaller, but when I opened the images together on top of each other, the line width was not consistent between characters. Being consistent across multiple characters helps define your art style, this only really matters if say, you have a lot of characters, such as if you had a deviant art page. But more importantly, something like the eyes. They do not all need to be the same. If you are consistent with the types of eyes you do, but now and then give one girl different types of eyes, if the audience is used to your style, the new eyes will throw them off, but in a good way. People will be able to pick up on small details, like if you do the eyelashes thicker for one girl, or make the angles sharper. Right now the eyes, line weight, and the shading amounts are different between the two, and so they kinda do not look like they belong in the same game or were made by the same person.

Here are some recommendations I would make, just based on what I have tried myself. When using thin lines, like what you are using on the looter, thin lines work best for characters with no shading (or just very vague shading), for background elements (if any line work is used for background artwork), or for when you are drawing a character who is far away, or just for details, such as the nipples and hair (over the face). Thick lines I think tend to look better If you are doing a character, either full body (such as your current art, you can see head and feet) or partial body (I go thigh and up as a maximum, but waist and up is also a good pick), or if you are going to shade the character (and thicker if you are doing cell shading as you are doing).

Line weight is a science all on it's own, just like color theory. The reason thicker lines tend to work better with cartoony characters is that, with 2D artwork of 3D bodies, you lose 1 dimension, so things tend to look flat. try taking a picture of some cute girl (say from normal nudes subreddit), and then draw on top just the outlines. Without adding all the extra details, no shading, etc. the art will look very flat, plain, and boring. This is because without shading it is hard to communicate the shape of things. And even with shading, your brain is still only aproximating. So to effectively communicate shapes and body types, 2D art tends to have exagerated body shapes. I spend 2 years studying anatomy on and off, just to get me ready to spend another year on learning the skills of exaggeration, this stuff is not the most simple. Basically, with 2D I find exaggeration is the key to success, and the key to exaggeration is simplification. By simplification, that can be tricks such as, instead of making thin lines where you worry about every small curve and detail, as you are doing with the human looter, you use thicker bolder lines and focus on only the key details. This simplification makes it simpler to read the image, and as a result people read the image quicker, almost instantly, and often people confuse understanding with the feeling of quality. So by using thicker lines, focusing on just the action line (a line that defines the main action of the body, in this case standing) gesture lines (how joints are bent and the body curves to express an action, such as hip sway) and silhouettes (if the character was just painted black, no details, no lines, just solid black, can you still tell what she is doing? which leg is forward?), instead of the small muscular details near the edge of the skin (such as the waist of the looter has more details in it than need). so that is something you can play with is line weight and simplifaction (a skill I am still trying to master)

Another trick is shading. right now you are using cell shading. Something I found by accident once was, you know how you shade, and so you try to be fairly realistic, and try to make it so the shadows make sense, and that they do not overpower the character by being too heavy? Well, that is at least what I did, since that is what most anime styles tried to do, they tried to be minimal with their shading since shading = time = money. What I found out was, one time I shaded a bit too heavy just because I was testing a new drawing technique, and what I found out was that if I shaded unrealistic (meaning I tried to exaggerate the shadows) the results looked very pleasing and even gave a feeling of being very professional. I think this has to come back to the idea of exaggeration and how it tries to really make clear various ideas (an idea could be, the perception of lights and shadows. So that is something you could play with is thicker shadows, lots of shadows.

Another important thing I have tried that has worked out well is, and I only mostly found this when doing 3D art but it worked great for 2D art as well, is when you are firt learning to make art or experimenting, we have the habit of doing 2 things. drawing characters from a front view, and drawing them full body (feet and head). Both of these things make the art harder to read. I do not know why, but for some reason, doing a front view of a character does not complement their body. I find being off by 15, 30, 45 (know an a quarter turn pose) and even 60 degrees really makes the body look much better. The issue with this is say, with the human looter, it looks like you are trying to make them look sexy by giving her some hip sway. I have also tried to do similar things in the past, but hip sway is really hard to read if you are not looking at them from the front, so this is one issue with vewing the character at an angle. A trick to overcome this is to animate, but that is not a simple fix. I simpler fix is to have the character in two poses, so that they can be compared to each other so that the viewers can get an idea of what it looks like when the hip is swayed to one side and not swayed. To be honest it really comes down to experementing and sketching to see what works. So try drawing the characters at an angle. never have them look directly into the camera (an example is my profile picture, she is trying to look at teh camera but not, but if she looks too much at the camera, it starts to get creepy). try to have it so you character looks forward, and the camera is off to the side, so the character is not looking at the camera.

Another thing I find that helps is, do not draw a full body. fully body is great for you and me, as a way to study our art, but i find when we actually want to use the art in say a game, to avoid this. Its almost as if it is information overload. So we need to simplify. The way to do this would be to simply zoom in on the character. Often waist high and above is good, but that is mostly for talking with the characters directly. But say we want to have the character express themselves through their body, such as having their hip to the side like with your human looter. What I find works well is to do mid-thigh and above, by allowing the viewers to see the upper thighs of the character, they can get an understanding of what the legs are doing, they are able to see the hips, but you don't need to worry about the details of the fully drawn legs. By drawing only part of the body, you focus more on the important parts, the talking. the keyword being focus. the key to exaggeration is simplification, that means removing what you don't need and FOCUSING on what you do need, as a result, what remains gets exaggerated attention, which results in effective communication of the important ideas. hence why focusing on the upper half helps improve the art.

Something you can do to further improve this is, do not draw all the characters the same. That is the opposite of what I said before with keeping them consistent. What I mean is, I think the slime girl is shorter than the human girl. you should use the same line thickness, and you should have the characters on the same scale. Draw them both 'mid-thigh and up' but make it so they are not teh same height. in fact no character should cover the full screen top to bottom unless that character is taller than you. my rule of thumb is, the guy is a bit taller than teh girl, and if the girl max height (the top of their skull) is at the same level as the main character's eyes (about 5 foot 6 for my standards), that girl should then be the reference character, and drawn so her eyes are right in the middle of the max drawing height. so if you are looking at her face to face, here eyes should be in the middle of the screen. if you are drawing her at an angle, the closest eye should be in the middle of the screen.

Another trick, which I have not used yet, but is a trick used by some miniture painters that I think work really well and even work in 3D modeling, is to have it so the light is mostly on the face, or that the colors are brightest near the top of teh character. the idea is that bright colors = light, and that the lighting being close to the face and upper body draws the viewer's attention to the characters face, where most of the details and hard work will be.

In cases where you want to have the players notice something like, a girl's but, again, the camera should be at an angle, you can zoom in so that viewers are not distracted by the knees or boobs which are elsewhere, and shadet it as if there was a spot light on the but, to focus viewers attention no what matters, and keep line thickness a bit thicker if you are going to be shading, just as how the shadows should be exaggerated (often there is more shadow then no shadow painted on my characters if I am using cell shading). These are just some tricks you can test to see if you get something more appealing.

One other thing is, you could make it so that the character is looking down on the girl just ever so slightly, but this is still something I am experimenting with and can not really say much else. I do not know if this really helps or when it should or should not be used.

So those are most of the tips I think I know, these are the the tricks I have learned and still use. So that may help a bit. but it doesn't really answer your other concern,
and a BOOM, this person wants to see more scenes with her.
since you are writing so your game has this focus
All these characters are somewhat distraught with loneliness and" rush " to the main character, so I would not say that they are innocent.
I think it is really good to have a focus, because games that are more general, that try to touch on lot of different things, tend to feel rather diluted in terms of content quality. So the fact that you are specializing in just focusing on these kinds of character are great and really helps. I am not sure how much the art will help in terms of making the players really want any particular character over another, since your art should be consistent (such as same camera angles), but really I think it is going to be the interactions and writing that will really help make this happen...

the keyword being interactions. So I hate to read, funny since I love to write walls of text. As a result, the reason I focus on art is I want to make games that communicate mostly through art. What I usually try to do to make players want to see more of any one character, is usually to sometimes see a character do something lewd, where players can get an idea of what a character is like, in terms of what they like and personality, before they even have to talk to the characters. This can be done through, showing the character getting embarrassed by being naked even when they do not think anyone is around, they could be suddenly groped by a tentacle and accidentally moan, but then try to pretend they don't like it but are helpless. or they could look around, think no one is looking, and then they start doing something perverted, like rubbing their crotch against a classmate's chair. Things like that. basically I tease the players before they need to do any work (such as reading). so these may be tricks you can use. It is more about writing, but it leades to what kind of art you make.

I hope some of this proves to be useful to you.

I also agree with @terratest I think you should keep the flat chest (but maybe still experiment with boobs), just because I think it makes your character look unique. I myself always stick to b cup boobs since I think they are always the most interesting and diverse boob type to draw.

EDIT: something I forgot to mention. Another trick you can use to bring your art to life (I can't find the video) is to draw and shade your character, say your character is at an angle to the camera, and the light is in front of them. add what seems like another light behind and or to the side, but instead of shading again, all you do is add a highlite just on the outside edge of your character (but only one side, as if there was a light source). I am not sure if this work best inside the outline or if you should do this over the outline. This simple trick can make your art pop, it is used all the time in painting, but you dont see it because of the detailed shading, but when doing cell shading it really helps bring your art to life. if you want, I could try to draw one of your characters using the methods I described, so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

Shadik

Game Developer
Jan 29, 2019
Wow, so much useful information, thank you very much!

In fact, the game I'm working on obliges me to draw Sprites in full growth.
3.png
Rather, I obliged because now I'm completely revise the overall game system and the available redraw the sprites. Your advice helped me a lot. Now, when I redraw the sprites, I already know what I want to see them and I hope that this time I will definitely hit the bull's eye.

Now I will try to concentrate on the fact that all the lines are of the same thickness and fit harmoniously into the rest of the composition. I think I've realized my mistakes and I'm ready to get back to work thanks to you

And don't worry, the slime girl will still be sexually flat :3

Once again, thank you very much for your advice, it means a lot to me ;___;

I think these are the three most important points you made.

I think what you could try to do to help with making your own style would be to try to be consistent. By consistent, I can tell you are using the same outline technique, such as with the lines that come in where the hips are at for both characters. so the way you do things like shadows and fingers and how they are consistent between characters are good. the two major things that are different is that the line weights of the slime girl look to be a bit thicker in places. I thought maybe the lines just look thicker because she is smaller, but when I opened the images together on top of each other, the line width was not consistent between characters. Being consistent across multiple characters helps define your art style, this only really matters if say, you have a lot of characters, such as if you had a deviant art page. But more importantly, something like the eyes. They do not all need to be the same. If you are consistent with the types of eyes you do, but now and then give one girl different types of eyes, if the audience is used to your style, the new eyes will throw them off, but in a good way. People will be able to pick up on small details, like if you do the eyelashes thicker for one girl, or make the angles sharper. Right now the eyes, line weight, and the shading amounts are different between the two, and so they kinda do not look like they belong in the same game or were made by the same person.

Here are some recommendations I would make, just based on what I have tried myself. When using thin lines, like what you are using on the looter, thin lines work best for characters with no shading (or just very vague shading), for background elements (if any line work is used for background artwork), or for when you are drawing a character who is far away, or just for details, such as the nipples and hair (over the face). Thick lines I think tend to look better If you are doing a character, either full body (such as your current art, you can see head and feet) or partial body (I go thigh and up as a maximum, but waist and up is also a good pick), or if you are going to shade the character (and thicker if you are doing cell shading as you are doing).

Line weight is a science all on it's own, just like color theory. The reason thicker lines tend to work better with cartoony characters is that, with 2D artwork of 3D bodies, you lose 1 dimension, so things tend to look flat. try taking a picture of some cute girl (say from normal nudes subreddit), and then draw on top just the outlines. Without adding all the extra details, no shading, etc. the art will look very flat, plain, and boring. This is because without shading it is hard to communicate the shape of things. And even with shading, your brain is still only aproximating. So to effectively communicate shapes and body types, 2D art tends to have exagerated body shapes. I spend 2 years studying anatomy on and off, just to get me ready to spend another year on learning the skills of exaggeration, this stuff is not the most simple. Basically, with 2D I find exaggeration is the key to success, and the key to exaggeration is simplification. By simplification, that can be tricks such as, instead of making thin lines where you worry about every small curve and detail, as you are doing with the human looter, you use thicker bolder lines and focus on only the key details. This simplification makes it simpler to read the image, and as a result people read the image quicker, almost instantly, and often people confuse understanding with the feeling of quality. So by using thicker lines, focusing on just the action line (a line that defines the main action of the body, in this case standing) gesture lines (how joints are bent and the body curves to express an action, such as hip sway) and silhouettes (if the character was just painted black, no details, no lines, just solid black, can you still tell what she is doing? which leg is forward?), instead of the small muscular details near the edge of the skin (such as the waist of the looter has more details in it than need). so that is something you can play with is line weight and simplifaction (a skill I am still trying to master)

Another trick is shading. right now you are using cell shading. Something I found by accident once was, you know how you shade, and so you try to be fairly realistic, and try to make it so the shadows make sense, and that they do not overpower the character by being too heavy? Well, that is at least what I did, since that is what most anime styles tried to do, they tried to be minimal with their shading since shading = time = money. What I found out was, one time I shaded a bit too heavy just because I was testing a new drawing technique, and what I found out was that if I shaded unrealistic (meaning I tried to exaggerate the shadows) the results looked very pleasing and even gave a feeling of being very professional. I think this has to come back to the idea of exaggeration and how it tries to really make clear various ideas (an idea could be, the perception of lights and shadows. So that is something you could play with is thicker shadows, lots of shadows.

Another important thing I have tried that has worked out well is, and I only mostly found this when doing 3D art but it worked great for 2D art as well, is when you are firt learning to make art or experimenting, we have the habit of doing 2 things. drawing characters from a front view, and drawing them full body (feet and head). Both of these things make the art harder to read. I do not know why, but for some reason, doing a front view of a character does not complement their body. I find being off by 15, 30, 45 (know an a quarter turn pose) and even 60 degrees really makes the body look much better. The issue with this is say, with the human looter, it looks like you are trying to make them look sexy by giving her some hip sway. I have also tried to do similar things in the past, but hip sway is really hard to read if you are not looking at them from the front, so this is one issue with vewing the character at an angle. A trick to overcome this is to animate, but that is not a simple fix. I simpler fix is to have the character in two poses, so that they can be compared to each other so that the viewers can get an idea of what it looks like when the hip is swayed to one side and not swayed. To be honest it really comes down to experementing and sketching to see what works. So try drawing the characters at an angle. never have them look directly into the camera (an example is my profile picture, she is trying to look at teh camera but not, but if she looks too much at the camera, it starts to get creepy). try to have it so you character looks forward, and the camera is off to the side, so the character is not looking at the camera.

Another thing I find that helps is, do not draw a full body. fully body is great for you and me, as a way to study our art, but i find when we actually want to use the art in say a game, to avoid this. Its almost as if it is information overload. So we need to simplify. The way to do this would be to simply zoom in on the character. Often waist high and above is good, but that is mostly for talking with the characters directly. But say we want to have the character express themselves through their body, such as having their hip to the side like with your human looter. What I find works well is to do mid-thigh and above, by allowing the viewers to see the upper thighs of the character, they can get an understanding of what the legs are doing, they are able to see the hips, but you don't need to worry about the details of the fully drawn legs. By drawing only part of the body, you focus more on the important parts, the talking. the keyword being focus. the key to exaggeration is simplification, that means removing what you don't need and FOCUSING on what you do need, as a result, what remains gets exaggerated attention, which results in effective communication of the important ideas. hence why focusing on the upper half helps improve the art.

Something you can do to further improve this is, do not draw all the characters the same. That is the opposite of what I said before with keeping them consistent. What I mean is, I think the slime girl is shorter than the human girl. you should use the same line thickness, and you should have the characters on the same scale. Draw them both 'mid-thigh and up' but make it so they are not teh same height. in fact no character should cover the full screen top to bottom unless that character is taller than you. my rule of thumb is, the guy is a bit taller than teh girl, and if the girl max height (the top of their skull) is at the same level as the main character's eyes (about 5 foot 6 for my standards), that girl should then be the reference character, and drawn so her eyes are right in the middle of the max drawing height. so if you are looking at her face to face, here eyes should be in the middle of the screen. if you are drawing her at an angle, the closest eye should be in the middle of the screen.

Another trick, which I have not used yet, but is a trick used by some miniture painters that I think work really well and even work in 3D modeling, is to have it so the light is mostly on the face, or that the colors are brightest near the top of teh character. the idea is that bright colors = light, and that the lighting being close to the face and upper body draws the viewer's attention to the characters face, where most of the details and hard work will be.

In cases where you want to have the players notice something like, a girl's but, again, the camera should be at an angle, you can zoom in so that viewers are not distracted by the knees or boobs which are elsewhere, and shadet it as if there was a spot light on the but, to focus viewers attention no what matters, and keep line thickness a bit thicker if you are going to be shading, just as how the shadows should be exaggerated (often there is more shadow then no shadow painted on my characters if I am using cell shading). These are just some tricks you can test to see if you get something more appealing.

One other thing is, you could make it so that the character is looking down on the girl just ever so slightly, but this is still something I am experimenting with and can not really say much else. I do not know if this really helps or when it should or should not be used.

So those are most of the tips I think I know, these are the the tricks I have learned and still use. So that may help a bit. but it doesn't really answer your other concern,

since you are writing so your game has this focus

I think it is really good to have a focus, because games that are more general, that try to touch on lot of different things, tend to feel rather diluted in terms of content quality. So the fact that you are specializing in just focusing on these kinds of character are great and really helps. I am not sure how much the art will help in terms of making the players really want any particular character over another, since your art should be consistent (such as same camera angles), but really I think it is going to be the interactions and writing that will really help make this happen...

the keyword being interactions. So I hate to read, funny since I love to write walls of text. As a result, the reason I focus on art is I want to make games that communicate mostly through art. What I usually try to do to make players want to see more of any one character, is usually to sometimes see a character do something lewd, where players can get an idea of what a character is like, in terms of what they like and personality, before they even have to talk to the characters. This can be done through, showing the character getting embarrassed by being naked even when they do not think anyone is around, they could be suddenly groped by a tentacle and accidentally moan, but then try to pretend they don't like it but are helpless. or they could look around, think no one is looking, and then they start doing something perverted, like rubbing their crotch against a classmate's chair. Things like that. basically I tease the players before they need to do any work (such as reading). so these may be tricks you can use. It is more about writing, but it leades to what kind of art you make.

I hope some of this proves to be useful to you.

I also agree with @terratest I think you should keep the flat chest (but maybe still experiment with boobs), just because I think it makes your character look unique. I myself always stick to b cup boobs since I think they are always the most interesting and diverse boob type to draw.

EDIT: something I forgot to mention. Another trick you can use to bring your art to life (I can't find the video) is to draw and shade your character, say your character is at an angle to the camera, and the light is in front of them. add what seems like another light behind and or to the side, but instead of shading again, all you do is add a highlite just on the outside edge of your character (but only one side, as if there was a light source). I am not sure if this work best inside the outline or if you should do this over the outline. This simple trick can make your art pop, it is used all the time in painting, but you dont see it because of the detailed shading, but when doing cell shading it really helps bring your art to life. if you want, I could try to draw one of your characters using the methods I described, so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

Reactions: terratest

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Glad to hear! >u<

Since you shared an image of your game, I have a bit more to say. o_O

Your character art is good, and it is good to be consistent with your art, but not only should your art be consistent from character to character, but it should also be consistent with the game. Now I do not mean that your characters, and backgrounds all need to be the same. What I do mean is that, right now you are using A high-quality version of your character art in game, but when you use it as a sprite in-game, those lines get too small. This goes back to the point I made about thin and thicker lines. One thing you can do to help with consistent, such as with line thickness, is to always make sure to use the same line thickness for everything (but the background can be different). When I say, make sure to always make line thickness the same for everything, I mean. if you are going to see the character, 1 close up (such as when you are talking to them), 2 as a sprite, or 3 as a background character, in all three cases, you should redraw the character.

Yes this is more work, but it really helps keep your art consistent, makes your work (the game) look professional, at it helps the viewers. When I say redraw, I mean, and you can practice this, with the same pen size, on the same layer (or piece of paper), draw the character when she is close up, when she is standing, and when she is in the background. So being consistent in this case means, using the same pen size for everything, but when you draw images that are closer or farther away, you are just drawing the characters smaller or bigger. The point of doing this is to avoid resizing your images. Resizing your images (if you are going to show the image at multiples sizes, such as a sprite and also as a close up) is a bit lazy, and even if you are not trying to be lazy (which that is not bad, I am trying rework my art to maximize lazyness to increase my art making rate), viewers will still see it as lazy, just because resizing your artwork is not professional.

It is ok to draw your character big, and then scale it down, if this is your workflow. However, every character should be scaled the same, and you should not show any images at multiple scales unless, as I said, you redraw it so that your image fits the new scale/zoom).

When I say the characters should be consistent with the game, not only should the characters have the same line thickness, but to help make your game feel and look professional, you should also make your User Interface icons, such as button, that potion bottle and shield thing, also all share the same line thickness and art styles. The point of this is to make your art consistent, so that your character art style is harmonious with the rest of the art style the game has. This way your game does not feel so cut and pasted together.

Now something that is tricky is the background. this is still something I am trying to master. From what I can tell, unless you are making a black and white comic, your background should never be the same style as your characters. Why? Well as far as I can tell, the reason for this is that you want your characters to stand out from the background. Part of the goal with making art is making it easy to read for the viewers, the characters are the important part so you should make sure that the players focus on looking at the characters. You don't want your viewers to think, you don't want them to work, have to search your art, or have to squint. This is because you are making a game, and in this case it is safe to say your viewers have a very short attention span and do not want to work, so you have to do most of the work yourself. This is the same reason why you don't want to scale your image down, if the lines are too small then people have to squint and look closely and study it in order to see the details. part of simplifaction is to remove the unneeded details and only point out the important details. Thick lines help with this, and in the case of seeing the character some distance away, redrawing them with the same pen further simplifies the image (since some details will be lost when you make a smaller drawing). In fact, if the character is so small, that you can no longer use your style or see what you want, you can change your art style to something more like drawing a chibii or an icon instead. This way you focus on just the key stuff (such as the eyes, expressions, body shape, or just maybe a name if that is all you can represent if all you can show is a green dot). But if you still want to communicate something important, but it is a fine detail, such as the small slime detailing you do, or the highlight in the hair, then in these cases you may want to draw a zoom in, to show off specific details, as if the character was studying the girl. this way you can still show what you want, show off your art skills, but then the sprite can be simplified for the battle(?)

Getting back to the background. If you make the background and the characters in the same style, the issue is everything looks the same. it is ok if you do just characters and the user interface, this is so players get the feeling that everything is consistent. But once you do the background in the same style, then too much stuff looks the same. It becomes an issue where viewers have to search the image to find your character, or your character seems lost or not all there because they do not stand out, it is as if you are not actually focusing on them. From what I can tell, different things work for backgrounds.

as far as I can tell, backgrounds using lines only works with backgrounds that have little to no shading. teh lines of the background must be medium to thin as to not distract away from the lines of the characters/user interface, and typically it is safe to have the background colors a bit desaturated when compared to the character's colors. Also try to keep lines at a minimum, the more lines there are in teh background, the more that means you are adding details to the background, and details and lines are distracting, which takes the player focus away from the characters.

In anime and other artworks I have seen, you could draw the characters, but have them on a painted background, and this looks fine, in fact, it doesn't even stand out unless you actually study the artwork and notice that the background is hand painted. from what I can tell, the trick to getting this to work is that the majority of the artwork should be a certain value, the character should also be the same value, but the background could be a bit more desaturated to help the character stand out. again this only works with painted backgrounds but, say you have a character who is sitting under a tree and you are looking down at them. they are in the shade. if the background is painted, and the shadow covers most of the area you are painting, the character and the shadow should have about the same brightness (or at least what makes sense, often characters are a bit brighter if they have white skin or if teh artist wants to make them stand out a bit, or simulating global illumination), and the area not in the shadow can go ahead and be very bright. The character should not be bright since most of the background is not bright. There is also the opposite, think of a town during night time, lit by torches. if you are standing in down, and the walls of the building in the background are lit by the torches, so much so that the brighter areas take up more room then the dark shadow areas, then your character should also be lit by the torches, or at least most of them. If the town is far away, but still most of the background is lit, but your character is not (because you are standing outside of town without a torch), basically the issue is that the character does not fit or match the background, and so the image looks wrong.

Right now that is the case you are working with, you have a painted background. In fact it looks like you are already trying to achieve what I have already said, the cave is dark, but you paint it so that the closer areas are well lit, and your character is bright. So far I actually like the work and think your background is good, but if you want to improve it, here are three things I would recommend.

1 I think its pretty cool what you are trying to do, with the floors, the walls, and the background that looks further into the tunnle. To try and help make it so it looks like the character fits into the background (without getting lost) I would work on trying to make sure that the character and the background have matching values. Meaning, I actually think the floor and walls look nice, but you could redraw the image of the cave to better match the brightness of the walls (but only where it is lit, it may be a good idea to keep doing what you are doing, where you have the tunnel get darker the further down it goes).

2 doing number 1 might be a bit tricky, or take a bit of practice, but here is a trick that you can do, and also do for the floor and walls, to try and reach that matching value without making your scene all look like one color. The trick is to exaggerate! Just like as I mentioned with shading, going a bit heavy with the shadows actually tends to help. Something similar also tends to work out well for teh background. you could make it as if there was a bright light near the girl. so the floor, the wall, and the tunnel are all lit bright and about the same. Such as if she was holding a torch, a firm amber would be used on the floor, walls, and tunnel. You would use the same amber yellow on all three, you wouldn't make the floor brighter because it's the closest thing. Yes making the floor brighter would be more realistic. But that is an unnecessary detail. If you make it as if all three are lit equally by the same light/painted the same, it helps keep the image simple to read and harmonious in palette colors. After that, since your character is brightly lit, that means most of your background should be brightly lit so that the two match. So that means most of your background should be painted as lit. It is safe to have your character stand either in front of the darkness of the tunnel or next to a well-lit wall, as long as the majority of the background is lit, this should work fine. In order to exaggerate, that means you need to make the shadows dark, and it means that the light may not smoothly go dimmer down the tunnel. right now the background image of the tunnel is kind of dim, kinda the same color, and then fades out to black (the issue is that this is smooth, too smooth to really stand out or be important). We are fixing the issue of being dim by matching the same light effect (painted) with what you will use for the floor and wall. We will fix the issue of it being kinda the same color by having the light be bright like the character, and then we have it get very dark. This shouldn't be a smooth fading transition. Instead, the change should be rather noticeable and abrupt. and this should affect the tunnel image, the walls, and the floor equally (in real life this wouldn't be realistic but it will help with the art). what I mean by that is. say the light is by the girl, she is holding a torch. because we want most of the background to be bright, we also want this to be true for the sub-elements (the background, the walls, the floor). so we paint a big bright spot that is brightly lit by the torch. before the floor connects with the walls, or the top and bottom, it should then suddenly 'transition' to no longer be lit. aka, the base color of the floor. This is not a hard edge, like a line, it should just be obvious that the torch is no longer lighting the area. For the background of the tunnel, you could have two shadows. you want to avoid blacks, whites, and greys. this has to do with color theory. basically these are ugly colors. it is like you mixed your paint together to make crap. Instead there as others have mentioned color theory. It already looks like you are trying to use it a bit. Instead of having the walls and floor grey, try to give them some color, it looks like you are making things slightly purple to make things look magical (I also think it's pretty cool what you are doing with the colors). You are going to have to do a bit more if you want to exaggerate. You can have it so that when the cave is not lit, it is a dim (not nessisarily dark) purple. you could also do blue to make it seem cold, but I think purple may be better, more natural (between a warm feeling reddish purple and cold feeling blueish purple, to full-on dim blue/cyan). this is act more like a base color. Optionally, if you don't want to use these colors, you could use brown, like dirt, since it is not grey it is better, but then everything looks like dirt instead of like rocks. as far as I can tell, rocks only really look good if in a bright area, and the rocks are small, or if the rocks/cave is taking up most of the screen, they need to be dark. they do not look good if both dark and brightly light. even with the really far away part of the cave, instead of pure black, it should be every so slightly (almost undetectable) purple ( or whatever color you pick), but not black. never use black for darkness or shadows, always use a color. Hence the reason to exaggerate things by using these colors and a bit of color theory. For the torch, it can start for a very bright and desaturated yellow almost white, go yellow but not fully saturated, and a bit dimmer, then go orange before doing to a mildly dim and desaturated purple (no light from the torch is illuminating the surfaces at this point now) then a dim (and saturated) purple. In real life, bright things tend to be desaturated in tone. This also works for art, but because we want to exagurate things, this usualyl mean we want saturated colors, so what works out better, is just to make sure that dark colors are heavily saturated, and brighter colors are in the middle, while brightly lit objects tend to be the most desaturareted, but rairly fully desaturated. The only time you want to use pure white, is for something reflective, like the glint of the sun off a wave, a jewle, but only use this sparingly. Lastly, to make it clear that you do want to transition over a wide value range, as in, you want to have both bright spots and some dark spots on sub elements. So this includes the walls that are close to you. Right now they are well lit, which makes sense in real life. for your art, you may wantto make it so that it is as iff the light comes from the characters, not from you, as teh wals get dimmer closer to the edge of the screen. not realistic or accurate, but it keeps the focus of the playerc in the middel of the screen.

wow that was a lot, sorry about that. All of that may have been too much, I may try to make a painting tomorrow if that helps. Since there will be more color if you try this, to make those other colors stand out you may have to make them... bigger, like full on crystals instead of the cool surface effecs you are using now.

lastly 3 one reason poeple may say yor art may not look good would be that the painting is noisy. Now this is both a good and a bad thing. I have experimented with this myself. sometimes we don't want an image to be too flat. adding noise help things look much more natural and nicer on the eyes. the issue is that you don't want this to blanket everything, otherwise the pattern (such as a paper texture pattern) stands out too much. to fix this would be to dry to use step 2, but have it so say, tose crystals you see, instead of being dim, some are also brighly light (just like teh floor and walls) even though they are far away (and isn't realistic) just having the small details illuminated like this all over the place will be how you and noise (or clutter) without actually making the effect blanket everything.

also, what game engine are you using? Just thought I would ask.

also, do you have a color calibrated monitor, have you ever calibrated your monitor or ever heard of the idea befor? You may not realize it, but your monitor may be a bad monitor. meaning that it does not accuratly reproduce colors. If you notice some cheap school monitors, a white word document page may look a bit dim or yellow. those are TN type panel technologies, cheap, common, fast switching rate which is good for gaming but ugly colors. everyone has a monitor that is slightly different, so the art will look a bit different. the point of color calibration is to try to standardize your art, and try to make something that will work for most monitors. for example, my left monitor has a hard time with bright and dark colors, so when I move your image to it, I can hardly see the tunnel. The issue with art not showing well on some monitors is an issue that may never die, and something you may not ever be able to overcome, it just comes down to a good screen and hoping it is good enough. If you are using any Apple brand devices, you should be safe. unless you bought a monitor just because it was color calibrated, it is safe to assume that your monitor is not color calibrated or even capable of +90 sRGB accuracy.

again I wrote more than I had plan, sorry about that.

Reactions: Vrzl and Shadik

Shadik

Game Developer
Jan 29, 2019
again I wrote more than I had plan, sorry about that.
It's okay! Thanks to your advice, I understand better and better how I need to move on, thank you!

also, do you have a color calibrated monitor, have you ever calibrated your monitor or ever heard of the idea befor?
I think the thing is that my monitor is already quite old and has a lot of problems. At the first opportunity, I will buy myself some better, because I understand this problem...

also, what game engine are you using? Just thought I would ask.
I use Clickteam Fusion 2.5 now. Although I have already experienced some problems with this engine, for me and my idea it is the best option.

Such as if she was holding a torch, a firm amber would be used on the floor, walls, and tunnel.
It's a good idea! I could, say, add some glowing crystals to the background walls or make a tunnel of torches. That would really improve my composition.

You don't want your viewers to think, you don't want them to work, have to search your art, or have to squint.
Sounds logical, I think that I will cope with it