2D Need help choosing an Art Style for my upcoming VN.

Which style do you prefer?

• 1) Mixed/Minimalistic

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • 2)Semi-realistic

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • 3) Plain

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Redemyr

Mar 19, 2018
Hello! I've been planning to release my own VN for a while. The genre will be romance with some drama and mystery thrown into the mix.

To that end, I've contacted an artist and commissioned some concept art. This is the main heroine, Emma (18).

Please help me decide between styles, the names are merely for illustrative purposes.

Just a vote would be great but if you could provide some feedback then ever better.

Thank you very much!

EDIT: I've added body images for the three styles and yes, I don't like the nose on the 3rd one either :).

Last edited:

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
The first one has a more unique touch.
(However, the hair could use a little bit more details)

And I think this style could fit the drama and mystery aspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redemyr

Redemyr

Mar 19, 2018
All are nice.. can't pick one :LOL:
Hahah, I know, they all have their merits! But I can't afford to commision all three haha.

The first one has a more unique touch.
(However, the hair could use a little bit more details)

And I think this style could fit the drama and mystery aspect.
Yeah, that's what the artist told me, it's a style of her own. The other two are more standard.

Redemyr

Mar 19, 2018
I'd like to suggest the most productive style to be made by your hands among them... Because Development Time is also important...
You're right, the artist told me that style N1 is easier for her to do and therefore cheapter for me.

But at the same time I don't want to compromise quality if the majority thinks the other style is superior.

Reactions: KaneteruKaneteru
Mar 1, 2020
You're right, the artist told me that style N1 is easier for her to do and therefore cheapter for me.

But at the same time I don't want to compromise quality if the majority thinks the other style is superior.
Well, It's your game and your call, your decision comes first.

for the feedback about art-style.. If you want the quality in the game, I agree with the Second style since It's similar with other popular art style.

Third style is.... I think the artist is not familiar with describing a portrait by lines... And basically I think It's little bit anxious about the.... anatomy.... Yeah I won't talk about it anymore. I'm not even perfect with anatomy yet too...

Quality comes first of course! because It's basic goal to give a pleasure to customers as a game...

But What I've seen and fear is the situation that artist can't keep it up with developing.... So You have to find another artist or abort the developing... this kinda situation is more critical when the game genre is focused on visual things like... VN.. And If the art style is unique enough to make it difficult to find other artist who can imitate it, It usually leads to the abortion of developing...

That was the reason why I told you about productivity at the first time... but yeah... your game, your decision.

English is not my first language. I hope my words are not delivered as offensive. Hope you have a good day there with developing.

Redemyr

Mar 19, 2018
I like the first style the best, though the shading on her face could use some work.
I'm really new to this. I can get a general idea of what shading is, but would you mind explaining more? Thanks

But What I've seen and fear is the situation that artist can't keep it up with developing.... So You have to find another artist or abort the developing... this kinda situation is more critical when the game genre is focused on visual things like... VN.. And If the art style is unique enough to make it difficult to find other artist who can imitate it, It usually leads to the abortion of developing...

That was the reason why I told you about productivity at the first time... but yeah... your game, your decision.

English is not my first language. I hope my words are not delivered as offensive. Hope you have a good day there with developing.
No effense taken at all, English is not my first language either.:)

I understand your point. At this point though I'll be the slowest to deliver since my career path lies somewhere else entirely while hers does not.

In fact, my plan is for the art to make up for my failings as a writer. But apparently admitting it is not convenient for me, so please don’t tell anyone.

Reactions: KaneteruKaneteru

Thr3L

Aug 25, 2019
to me productivity is better, i'd prefer having more different drawing for the same character than fewer but with more work put into it.

but with that said, i think it's important to work with a style you enjoy and comfortable with because you're going to use it a lot.

for the v1 portrait, it make me think of the artwork for a game called tree of savior, you should look it up, id be a good reference for you, here's the portfolio of the art director of the game:

for the portrait i like and prefer the v1, but for the full body, i'm not a huge fan for me there is a problem in your constructions line, id it's supposed to be the same person, the jaw is too pronounced, her eyes, nose and lips feel like it's stretched away from her head, i don't know if you do it but i recommend mirroring your drawing to see what's wrong, and doing so at the beginning, because if the construction isn't good, everything else fall apart.

hope this will help, you got talent and room for improvement, keep it up ! :D

Mrsubtle

May 8, 2018
V2 look most interesting, V1 may lack some contrast they are not bad just they feel less distinctive. If that is the proper expression.

Redemyr

Mar 19, 2018
for the v1 portrait, it make me think of the artwork for a game called tree of savior, you should look it up, id be a good reference for you, here's the portfolio of the art director of the game:

for the portrait i like and prefer the v1, but for the full body, i'm not a huge fan for me there is a problem in your constructions line, id it's supposed to be the same person, the jaw is too pronounced, her eyes, nose and lips feel like it's stretched away from her head, i don't know if you do it but i recommend mirroring your drawing to see what's wrong, and doing so at the beginning, because if the construction isn't good, everything else fall apart.

hope this will help, you got talent and room for improvement, keep it up ! :D
I'm not the one doing the drawings but I'll pass your compliments on, thanks!

That game has beautful art, but it's a little out of our league for now.
n° 2 looks more like , she could use as reference, as bibi says. :whistle:
Wow, that artist is SO good. Definetely something to use as reference for the more lewd parts of the novel. Although, again, I don't think we're there yet. Not by a mile, but who knows what the future might have in store.

Thr3L

Aug 25, 2019
but it's a little out of our league for now.
the point isn't to be able to replicate, because... yeah, they're experienced artist, but to learn from them and to me the skill of the artist you work with are close enough to be able to do that. :)