Need help choosing an engine to work with

Jun 18, 2017
A total n00b when it comes to coding, so bear that in mind. However, I'm willing to learn coding if required (I do have some basic knowledge of C and C++). What I want to do is to start a hobby project, a game with extensive and fluid interaction during the sex scenes (2D, animated). So I need help with choosing the engine to start with, which, is easy to work with and preferably doesn't have a too steep learning curve. Thanks!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Why not test and decide ? Many of the available game engines are either free, or have a trial version.
You can also simply take a look at there documentation, to see if it seem too difficult for you or not.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Well it sounds like a VN, and if that's the case, Renpy is the go to engine here. It's simpel enough to start with, but has a fair amount of possibilities to extend.

Other options would be Unity (much harder to learn, but more flexibility in the long run) or maybe Rpgmaker, but that one doesn't make much sense if it's just a VN.

Jun 18, 2017
Might be helpful if you gave us a game or VN as reference for what you want to do.
Unfortunately I haven't found anything close to what I've been planning. But I'm ready to explain the mechanics if you want me to.
Why not test and decide ? Many of the available game engines are either free, or have a trial version.
You can also simply take a look at there documentation, to see if it seem too difficult for you or not.
Will do, thanks. So far I've tried out unity but seems a bit hard for me.
Well it sounds like a VN, and if that's the case, Renpy is the go to engine here. It's simpel enough to start with, but has a fair amount of possibilities to extend.

Other options would be Unity (much harder to learn, but more flexibility in the long run) or maybe Rpgmaker, but that one doesn't make much sense if it's just a VN.
Rpgmaker won't be much help in here. While it won't exactly be a VN, Renpy might work, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Need help choosing an engine to work with
Ren'Py is probably the go-to engine for Visual Novels. Straight up story telling, with occasional "programming" elements to shake things up a bit (forking decision making, point-and-click mechanics, basic inventory or mapping systems). It's capable of so much more than that, but probably not at the level you are right now.

RPGMaker is probably the other go-to engine for Visual Novels... but with a lot more exploration focus and possibly basic combat. Anything where STR, CON, SIZ, INT, WIS or CHA type stats are important to your design.
That said, there's a reason why you'll see lots of fan made RPGMaker to RenPy conversions and hardly ever see it the other way around.

[...] a game with extensive and fluid interaction during the sex scenes (2D, animated).
This is the crux of the problem for me. Since I've no clue what you mean.
Some ideas in my head could be done in RenPy with point-and-click type interactions. But that's not necessarily what you have planned.

When I first read it, my first thought was Unity. I can see why it's been suggested. It's probably the only way you'll retain enough control of what's going on to do anything vaguely on a "fluid interaction" level.

The 2D/animated isn't really a function of the engine and is better dealt with by a 3D renderering program like Daz3D. Create a series of still animated frame that can be stitched together... or create a small looped movie in .MP4, .AVI or .WEBP formats - then simply use the engine to display it/them.

Unfortunately I haven't found anything close to what I've been planning. [...]
And this worries me too.
Again... it screams Unity to me - since almost everything you could ever think of has already been done in RenPy. If you can't find something close... it likely means you have something very, very specific in mind.... RenPy is generic but complex if needed. Unity is complexly generic and hugely specific when it needs to be.

Rpgmaker won't be much help in here. While it won't exactly be a VN, Renpy might work, I'll give it a try. Thanks.
RenPy is definitely more diverse than most people will ever likely use. But if you've already decided that Unity is too complex... maybe the stuff I'm thinking of in RenPy isn't for you either. Again, difficult to know for sure.

My gut feel is that you might need to compromise on your "fluid interaction during the sex scenes".
RenPy would support things like mousing-over or clicking body parts to initiate a new action. But it would be much, much harder to implement something where "rubbing" a body part with the mouse will trigger something happening.

Generally speaking, think "iPad" when considering RenPy. RenPy is designed to work on a number of devices... including handheld tablets (although more android than Apple). If your idea might not work due to a tablet's UI... then RenPy might not be the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017
Some ideas in my head could be done in RenPy with point-and-click type interactions.
I should probably stick to that for now and learn unity in the meantime. At least that'll keep things simple and I'll be able to upgrade in the future if required. Sure, I wanted some really extensive interactions with the characters but I'm not against point and click either if done properly. Now that I think of it, I should save that interaction part until I can master the 3d modelling and animation.

I came up with some ideas if it were to be a point and click game, like lots of looped animations for one particular body part, from which one will be picked in random. They doesn't necessarily have to be different but a slight variation can always break the monotony. If I can match the start and end points properly, it should look like one uninterrupted animation instead of several small loops even if they were to be played one after another. Also, say if I click on another part when an animation is being played, it won't jump directly into the next animation. Instead the former one will finish playing, followed by a transition and then the next one. In short, I want the whole thing to feel as natural, fluid and cohesive as possible, without any cuts in between the scenes so that it doesn't feel like a few loops thrown in together.

I hope that somewhat explains what I'm planning. Now, if Ren'py can handle such things then I'm happy to start working in Ren'py.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Now, if Ren'py can handle such things then I'm happy to start working in Ren'py.
It can do this, but you need to understood how it works first since it's not the average use.
But in the same time, while it's the average use for Unity (relatively speaking since there's no effective "average use" for it), the knowledge needed to start with Unity is higher than the one needed to start with Ren'py. Therefore, all in one it should be as difficult in both.

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Tyranno Visual Novel builder was made for this.
It's a simple engine and completely visual. I'm pretty sure it supports video so if you can handle the art assets it can handle everything else.