Others Need help decompiling/translating a game binary

Aditek

Jul 22, 2019
Hi!

For reasons I wont go into (was drunk and made a stupid bet) I am trying trying to translate Black Package Try's Hindo no Yakata. My plan is to use machine translation for everything I can and rely on a friend for the bits I can't make sense of. After stumbling through the installer and messing with the system language I managed to get things going. So far so good.
The game consists of a small EXE (which I already translated without problem), some WA1 files (probably audio), 2 list files (J4WIN.LST and J4WIS.LST) and finally a bunch of binary data files:

J4WIN.DAT 1.16GB
J4WIS.DAT 4.21MB
J4WINRE.DAT 93.7KB
J4WINNA 768b

I am assuming that all the images and text files are stored in one of these 4 binary files. My problem is that I have no idea which files contains the strings I want to patch and how I can find them. All the programs I usually use for reverse engineering failed to open the file so I am kinda stuck here. I tried to detect any patterns in the hex code using a few quick scripts, but haven't had any success so far.
Would really appreciate any help right now.

(Hope this is the correct subforum, since this is NOT a translation request. Just need some help to do it myself...)