Daz Need help from Devs who use Daz on AMD graphics and Ryzen CPU

ulala0077

Game Developer
Mar 15, 2018
Hi, I have Acer Nitro 5 laptop, having 8 GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 and 4GB AMD Graphics.
So, here is the thing. When it comes to render a gen 8 figure, on Iray on CPU, I get no problem. Like here, I rendered this on 500 iterations, within 3 minutes.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So, here is the problem. My laptop just freezes whenever I try to render a figure in a scene i.e. containing an environment and assets until I used Scene Optimizer, dividing textures so much as by 16, which leads to quite ugly scenes.

So, I figured, that I will just render the figures and put web images as background, as my laptop can render a single figure quite easily. But this is the thing, my laptop still freezes when I try to render 3 gen 8 figures. It shows that CPU is processing the scene, but the CPU code never gets generated and the laptop freezes so horribly that I have to force shut down the laptop.

So, please help me if you have encountered the same problem and can help me.

Aug 30, 2019
The reason is you only have 4gb of VRAM. If your scene uses more than that, it gets dumped to RAM and starts using CPU rendering. Since you have no background, if you have three characters, just do them individually, then use GIMP/Photoshop to put them together.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
The reason is you only have 4gb of VRAM. If your scene uses more than that, it gets dumped to RAM and starts using CPU rendering. Since you have no background, if you have three characters, just do them individually, then use GIMP/Photoshop to put them together.
More than that... DAZ doesn't support AMD GPUs; to use the GPU you need an Nvidia :p

The problem you have is maybe a lack of RAM, how much do you have?

Reactions: ulala0077

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
8gb ram isn't much, you could expand it by using v-ram (virtual ram). As soon as the ram is full, it's likely Daz crashes.
Textures take up a lot of memory, especially characters have a lot, mostly 4k textures, that's why it doesn't crash as much when you use scene optimizer. Gen8 is especially hardware hungry, gen3 has a lot lesser impact, so it should help to switch to gen3.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
you could expand it by using v-ram (virtual ram)
Doesn't window already do this? Or was that something they couldn't get working in windows 10. virtual ram works find in windows 7 by default but I don't know if Macs have a similar feature built in.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Doesn't window already do this? Or was that something they couldn't get working in windows 10. virtual ram works find in windows 7 by default but I don't know if Macs have a similar feature built in.
Yes, it works by default on win7/8/10 but it only uses ~% of the actual existing ram by default, so if you have 8gb physical ram, it might just use 1gb or 2gb virtual ram, which is not much.
Setting higher values can help a lot if you don't have enough physical ram. Just keep in mind that v-ram isn't as fast as actualy ram.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Ah, makes sense.
Maybe in the future when things like intel optane memory replace ram and ssds then perhaps then these issues will no longer be a concern.

ulala0077

Game Developer
Mar 15, 2018
Yeah, I guess I will do that

ulala0077

Game Developer
Mar 15, 2018
8gb ram isn't much, you could expand it by using v-ram (virtual ram). As soon as the ram is full, it's likely Daz crashes.
Textures take up a lot of memory, especially characters have a lot, mostly 4k textures, that's why it doesn't crash as much when you use scene optimizer. Gen8 is especially hardware hungry, gen3 has a lot lesser impact, so it should help to switch to gen3.
I have allocated approx 20 GB vram, but the issues is still same. I can render upto two gen8 figures without it freezing, using scene optimizer and reducing textures. Same thing with gen 3, so, I guess I will just use gen 8 and try to develop it the same way as japanese 2dcg VNs

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
I have allocated approx 20 GB vram, but the issues is still same. I can render upto two gen8 figures without it freezing, using scene optimizer and reducing textures. Same thing with gen 3, so, I guess I will just use gen 8 and try to develop it the same way as japanese 2dcg VNs
problem is not Vram cause daz not using AMD GPU's. So nothing is saved into Vram. All go to RAM and 8 is really not enough. 16 is minimum for decent CPU rendering.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, as someone that has an unholy AMD/Nvidia GPU hybrid system, I have a couple of thoughts on this.

1) If you use Daz Iray for your rendering needs, you NEED to get an Nvidia GPU for the actual rendering, and the Daz Iray viewport. For other viewport nodes, an AMD GPU or APU (say the Ryzen 2400G with integrated Vega graphics), you can use the AMD card to drive your viewport/monitor, which can help with responsiveness if it's driving your monitor while the Nvidia GPU is busy baking a render.

You can of course render in Iray in CPU only mode, but those renders are MUCH slower...

2) If you use 3Delight for your rendering, or are content with Open GL for some reason, then your renders will probably be CPU only to begin with, which means the graphics card isn't much help for things other than the Daz viewport.

3) Back to the Iray thing. You'll want to get a card with a lot of VRAM if you end up shopping for one. For serious rendering, I'd say 8GB should be a minimum target. The GTX 1070s, or RTX 2070s, can be had for fairly reasonable, and they usually pack 8GB of VRAM. It looks like the RTX 2xxx cards, which have additional hardware which is primarily targetted at raytracing, now support usage of those assets in the latest version of Daz Studio. This means faster renders on the 2xxx cards.

Ideally, you should consider the RTX 2080 Ti, or if you have a huge budget for such things the RTX Titan, but as I said, even the 2070 can be quite useful to you. When I was working on my dual 1080 system (8 GB of VRAM for each GPU), I was able to handle most of my rendering for the VN and Comic I was working on within the 6.4 GB limitation (Windows often Reserves 10% + 10%, or roughly 19% of the VRAM for other things).

Some people make do with 6 GB or less of VRAM on their graphics card(s), but do yourself a favor and shoot for at least 8GB if your budget will allow.

4) For the other stuff, there are things like scene optimizer that you can use to lower your texture map sizes, and there are other tricks you can use such as rendering the characters in multiple passes, with different characters and/or background items being rendered in each pass, and then merging them in photoshop, etc.. This also applies to non-Iray rendering, but it's something I do often enough, even with a 1080 Ti with 11GB of VRAM in my system.

5) IF you are doing Iray rendering in Daz Studio, uncheck the CPU box in the rendering options, so that your CPU cores are not 100% utilized for the render in question. IF you have a separate GPU driving your viewport/desktop, say the Vega graphics on my Ryzen 2400G in my case, this will allow you to continue to work on another render using a separate instance of Daz Studio, or work on other stuff in general, without your desktop environment slowing to a crawl during a render.

As others have noted, AMD graphics are almost useless for Iray, BUT as I've noted they can still be useful as your 'Desktop monitor' GPU, and for the non-Iray modes of your Daz viewport. Of course, if you also use other programs, say Blender, the AMD GPUs can be used for GPU rendering in some of those programs. But since CUDA/Iray is king right now, a number of programs only support Nvidia GPUs for GPU based rendering. Otherwise, the Radeon VII, with it's 16GB of VRAM, would be an awesome buy. For those that ARE using programs that do not require CUDA cores specifically, the Radeon VII is a decent card, and can be had for a bit over $500 at the moment. 1080 Ti's aren't that cheap yet, and of course have less VRAM, but if you are stuck in CUDA land, well you need an Nvidia card in the first place.

As for CPU based rendering modes/programs, well that's a completely different topic. In general, more cores/faster cores good..., as is having decent amounts of system ram.

Last edited:

ulala0077

Game Developer
Mar 15, 2018
OK, as someone that has an unholy AMD/Nvidia GPU hybrid system, I have a couple of thoughts on this.

1) If you use Daz Iray for your rendering needs, you NEED to get an Nvidia GPU for the actual rendering, and the Daz Iray viewport. For other viewport nodes, an AMD GPU or APU (say the Ryzen 2400G with integrated Vega graphics), you can use the AMD card to drive your viewport/monitor, which can help with responsiveness if it's driving your monitor while the Nvidia GPU is busy baking a render.

You can of course render in Iray in CPU only mode, but those renders are MUCH slower...

2) If you use 3Delight for your rendering, or are content with Open GL for some reason, then your renders will probably be CPU only to begin with, which means the graphics card isn't much help for things other than the Daz viewport.

3) Back to the Iray thing. You'll want to get a card with a lot of VRAM if you end up shopping for one. For serious rendering, I'd say 8GB should be a minimum target. The GTX 1070s, or RTX 2070s, can be had for fairly reasonable, and they usually pack 8GB of VRAM. It looks like the RTX 2xxx cards, which have additional hardware which is primarily targetted at raytracing, now support usage of those assets in the latest version of Daz Studio. This means faster renders on the 2xxx cards.

Ideally, you should consider the RTX 2080 Ti, or if you have a huge budget for such things the RTX Titan, but as I said, even the 2070 can be quite useful to you. When I was working on my dual 1080 system (8 GB of VRAM for each GPU), I was able to handle most of my rendering for the VN and Comic I was working on within the 6.4 GB limitation (Windows often Reserves 10% + 10%, or roughly 19% of the VRAM for other things).

Some people make do with 6 GB or less of VRAM on their graphics card(s), but do yourself a favor and shoot for at least 8GB if your budget will allow.

4) For the other stuff, there are things like scene optimizer that you can use to lower your texture map sizes, and there are other tricks you can use such as rendering the characters in multiple passes, with different characters and/or background items being rendered in each pass, and then merging them in photoshop, etc.. This also applies to non-Iray rendering, but it's something I do often enough, even with a 1080 Ti with 11GB of VRAM in my system.

5) IF you are doing Iray rendering in Daz Studio, uncheck the CPU box in the rendering options, so that your CPU cores are not 100% utilized for the render in question. IF you have a separate GPU driving your viewport/desktop, say the Vega graphics on my Ryzen 2400G in my case, this will allow you to continue to work on another render using a separate instance of Daz Studio, or work on other stuff in general, without your desktop environment slowing to a crawl during a render.

As others have noted, AMD graphics are almost useless for Iray, BUT as I've noted they can still be useful as your 'Desktop monitor' GPU, and for the non-Iray modes of your Daz viewport. Of course, if you also use other programs, say Blender, the AMD GPUs can be used for GPU rendering in those programs. But since CUDA/Iray is king right now, a number of programs only support Nvidia GPUs for GPU based rendering. Otherwise, the Radeon VII, with it's 16GB of VRAM, would be an awesome buy. For those that ARE using programs that do not require CUDA cores specifically, the Radeon VII is a decent card, and can be had for a bit over $500 at the moment. 1080 Ti's aren't that cheap yet, and of course have less VRAM, but if you are stuck in CUDA land, well you need an Nvidia card in the first place.

As for CPU based rendering modes/programs, well that's a completely different topic. In general, more cores/faster cores good..., as is having decent amounts of system ram.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Not only I will follow the suggested tips, I am also very grateful for suggesting graphics card. I am saving money for building a decent PC, and you sir saved me from making a few threads on GPU selection!

Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
One other note:

IF you had a thunderbolt 3 port on your laptop, you would have had an option for an external GPU for said laptop using an external GPU enclosure. BUT, since your laptop has AMD inside, I'm pretty sure there's no thunderbolt 3 port incorporated.

Laptops in general aren't ideal for rendering to begin with, due to the amount of heat that rendering often generates. So as you noted, a desktop system might be better. You can make do with a laptop, and a number of people do, but your goal should be a dedicated desktop rendering system. You'll be happier in the long run.

If an external enclosure were an option, then you'd need to shop for one with an adequate power supply for whichever GPU you ended up buying for it.

As others have noted, more physical system ram would be helpful, even for your laptop. 16 GB is a comfortable minimum, 32 GB is usually more than adequate. 64GB is generally overkill for Daz Studio, but if you can afford it...

It looks like you are now planning on a desktop system. Right now, older 8 core Ryzen chips are on sale for fairly cheap, and of course there's the newer 3xxx series Ryzen chips. The Ryzen APUs max out at 4 cores at the moment, but the 8 core APUs (4xxx series) are supposedly coming down the pike fairly soon, and may be announced within the next couple of weeks at CES. It may be a bit before they become available after said announcement though... And of course there's the Intel chips too..

The 8 core APU is an interesting option to consider, because it includes the Vega graphics, hence not requiring usage of the first PCIe 16 slot. Similar to the 2400G/1080 Ti setup I'm using. Otherwise, if you have the extra x16 slots available, buying a cheaper GPU (AMD or Nvidia) to drive your monitor, and a second, larger card for most of your Iray rendering needs is also an optiion. This isn't required, but if you plan to use your system for other things while a render is baking, you'll appreciate not having your 'monitor' GPU focused on rendering while you work.

Intel already has 8 cores with integrated GPUs with some of their larger i series CPUs. Intel integrated graphics are unimpressive to begin with, but more than adequate to drive the Daz non-Iray viewport modes and your desktop. But if you also game on your system, yeah AAA gaming on the Intel integrated graphics might be a bit painful...

The reason I focus on AMD CPUs and APUs in my discussion is because they are in general cheaper than the comparable Intel options. And in the case of the APUs, yeah AMD Vega (in the 2200G/2400G/3200G/3400G) is a pretty decent solution. Intel gurus are free to chime in here of course!

Since renders do drop to CPU only occasionally, sometimes it's easier to just take a break while the CPU crunches away at some render, at which point more cores are helpful. But if you have a decent Nvidia graphics card, and are doing Iray renders, you should probably look to optimizing your scene so that it can fit in the graphics card memory.

As for storage, in this case HDDs are fine, but of course SSDs are a bit faster. Since it sounds like you are just getting started, 2 TB of storage might be a comfortable minimum, but if you end up acquiring a lot of Daz assets you'll eventually want more. If you install your Daz assets onto a separate drive, say an external one, this will make it easier to move your assets to a new system later. Of course, you'll have to let Daz know where you've installed them. You can just go with the 'default' install on the C: partition in the user folders of course, but when it comes time to transplant your Daz install into a new system, it may require a bit more work to do so.

Faster SSDs are great for things like booting your operating system, but as far as loading Daz assets into a scene, you won't notice a huge amount of difference in loading times if they are installed on a HDD. So if you are on a budget, a decently large HDD (say 4 TB or more) can be found for fairly cheap, and those are also useful for such things as making backups for your Daz install, if you end up using an internal drive on your 'new' system as well.

So, to recap, if shopping for a new system:

IF you prefer Daz iray, get an Nvidia GPU with the most VRAM that you can afford. RTX 2xxx cards are a bit faster, but the GTX 1xxx cards work too. The earlier GTX cards (if you are buying used) are often options as well, but will be a bit slower in most cases than the newer cards.

The CPU is a bit less important UNLESS you are doing CPU only rendering, say with 3Delight. The older 1xxx and 2xxx series Ryzens are a bit cheaper right now. The 3xxx series Ryzens are faster. If you are on a budget, a 6 core Ryzen 3600 is an interesting option, otherwise I'd suggest the 8 core 3700 just for all around usefulness. The 2700 and 2700X 8 core Ryzens are also interesting options, but are of course a bit slower than the 3xxx series Ryzens. Again, this will come down to budget.

2 TB of storage in your system should be a comfortable minimum, with an eye out for a 4TB+ HDD later on once you get settled in and start making backups of your Daz install.

16 GB of ram if possible, 32GB would be better. 64GB is probably overkill, but can't hurt if your budget will allow.

R.E. a motherboard. If you are going to be doing a LOT of rendering, say for a game, I'd look for a motherboard with 3 or 4 'double spaced' PCIe 16 slots. That way, you can add a second, third, and maybe even fourth GPU for rendering later. Multiple GPUs will generally decrease your render times by roughly half, 2/3rds, etc.. IF you are doing Iray renders and the scene will fit in the smallest card in question.

As a theoretical, if you were mixing say a 6 GB 1660 Ti with an 11GB 2080 Ti, both cards will crunch the render, if the scene will fit in the 6 GB card. Otherwise, Daz will ignore the smaller card. Daz Studio does allow for usage of different cards in the same system, even from different generations to a point, but if possible, using similar cards will probably be better, although more VRAM is more important particularly if you like building larger scenes. There's a Daz Iray benchmarking thread on the Daz forum where several results are obtained using a mixture of cards.

Do keep in mind that a decently sized power supply is important, particularly for multiple GPU setups. These days, even 1200-1600W power supplies can be had for fairly cheap, but of course pay attention to the reviews as not all power supplies are created equal.

FINALLY, the Threadripper discussion. Or perhaps Intel HEDT CPUs. The high end desktop systems in general have more PCIe lanes available for cards, storage, etc. For rendering, though, even if you aren't running your cards at full speed (x16), x8 or even x4 may be adequate for your needs. I'd suggest x8 as your target though, for slightly better performance than x4. I've seen a couple of mentions of some graphics cards not liking x4, but that's another topic. Anyways, the older Threadripper chips are dropping in price, and most Threadripper boards (not all necessarily) can comfortably accomodate 3 'double slot' GPUs. So even if you grabbed a lowly 8 core 1900X Threadripper for budget reasons, it's an interesting option.

Intel X299 is similar, and the new 10xxx HEDT CPUs are agressively priced vs. the older Threadrippers, if you can find one, so these might also be an option. It'll all come down to price and 'bang for buck' here.

For most people, though, an HEDT system isn't necessary if you are just getting started out. It'll all come down to how much you can set aside for your new system. You may end up spending almost as much on the Nvidia GPU as you do on the rest of the system, so be prepared for that, unless you go for a smaller GPU or something... I'd recommend focusing on the larger cards if you are planning on Iray though.

As for a monitor, well 1080P should be the minimum you consider, 4K is better if you can afford it.

One final thought. Even if you do end up buying a dedicated desktop system, that Acer laptop isn't completely useless to you. You could use it to put together scenes on the laptop while the desktop is busy baking renders. You'd have to transfer your scene .duf files over to the desktop once you are ready to render them, and of course would need to install your Daz assets on both, but it's an interesting productivity option for you. USB sticks are good for moving .duf files around between systems of course! Or a networking cable maybe...

If you have the 'multi GPU' setup I've been suggesting though, with a 'dedicated' GPU for the monitor and separate Nvidia card(s) for the Iray rendering, and can open multiple Daz instances, you may be able to work on other scenes just fine on the desktop system while rendering as long as the renders aren't 'CPU only'. Just suggesting options here.

Daz did make a change with 4.12 apparently that disrupts opening multiple Daz instances, but a number of people have complained about that, as they were doing the 'multiple instances' thing. Not sure if it's been 'fixed' yet, as I'm still using 4.10 on my rendering system. Long story...

Hopefully, all of this is this helpful to you in putting together your shopping list...

Last edited:

ulala0077

Game Developer
Mar 15, 2018
One other note:

IF you had a thunderbolt 3 port on your laptop, you would have had an option for an external GPU for said laptop using an external GPU enclosure. BUT, since your laptop has AMD inside, I'm pretty sure there's no thunderbolt 3 port incorporated.

Laptops in general aren't ideal for rendering to begin with, due to the amount of heat that rendering often generates. So as you noted, a desktop system might be better. You can make do with a laptop, and a number of people do, but your goal should be a dedicated desktop rendering system. You'll be happier in the long run.

If an external enclosure were an option, then you'd need to shop for one with an adequate power supply for whichever GPU you ended up buying for it.

As others have noted, more physical system ram would be helpful, even for your laptop. 16 GB is a comfortable minimum, 32 GB is usually more than adequate. 64GB is generally overkill for Daz Studio, but if you can afford it...

It looks like you are now planning on a desktop system. Right now, older 8 core Ryzen chips are on sale for fairly cheap, and of course there's the newer 3xxx series Ryzen chips. The Ryzen APUs max out at 4 cores at the moment, but the 8 core APUs (4xxx series) are supposedly coming down the pike fairly soon, and may be announced within the next couple of weeks at CES. It may be a bit before they become available after said announcement though... And of course there's the Intel chips too..

The 8 core APU is an interesting option to consider, because it includes the Vega graphics, hence not requiring usage of the first PCIe 16 slot. Similar to the 2400G/1080 Ti setup I'm using. Otherwise, if you have the extra x16 slots available, buying a cheaper GPU (AMD or Nvidia) to drive your monitor, and a second, larger card for most of your Iray rendering needs is also an optiion. This isn't required, but if you plan to use your system for other things while a render is baking, you'll appreciate not having your 'monitor' GPU focused on rendering while you work.

Intel already has 8 cores with integrated GPUs with some of their larger i series CPUs. Intel integrated graphics are unimpressive to begin with, but more than adequate to drive the Daz non-Iray viewport modes and your desktop. But if you also game on your system, yeah AAA gaming on the Intel integrated graphics might be a bit painful...

The reason I focus on AMD CPUs and APUs in my discussion is because they are in general cheaper than the comparable Intel options. And in the case of the APUs, yeah AMD Vega (in the 2200G/2400G/3200G/3400G) is a pretty decent solution. Intel gurus are free to chime in here of course!

Since renders do drop to CPU only occasionally, sometimes it's easier to just take a break while the CPU crunches away at some render, at which point more cores are helpful. But if you have a decent Nvidia graphics card, and are doing Iray renders, you should probably look to optimizing your scene so that it can fit in the graphics card memory.

As for storage, in this case HDDs are fine, but of course SSDs are a bit faster. Since it sounds like you are just getting started, 2 TB of storage might be a comfortable minimum, but if you end up acquiring a lot of Daz assets you'll eventually want more. If you install your Daz assets onto a separate drive, say an external one, this will make it easier to move your assets to a new system later. Of course, you'll have to let Daz know where you've installed them. You can just go with the 'default' install on the C: partition in the user folders of course, but when it comes time to transplant your Daz install into a new system, it may require a bit more work to do so.

Faster SSDs are great for things like booting your operating system, but as far as loading Daz assets into a scene, you won't notice a huge amount of difference in loading times if they are installed on a HDD. So if you are on a budget, a decently large HDD (say 4 TB or more) can be found for fairly cheap, and those are also useful for such things as making backups for your Daz install, if you end up using an internal drive on your 'new' system as well.

So, to recap, if shopping for a new system:

IF you prefer Daz iray, get an Nvidia GPU with the most VRAM that you can afford. RTX 2xxx cards are a bit faster, but the GTX 1xxx cards work too. The earlier GTX cards (if you are buying used) are often options as well, but will be a bit slower in most cases than the newer cards.

The CPU is a bit less important UNLESS you are doing CPU only rendering, say with 3Delight. The older 1xxx and 2xxx series Ryzens are a bit cheaper right now. The 3xxx series Ryzens are faster. If you are on a budget, a 6 core Ryzen 3600 is an interesting option, otherwise I'd suggest the 8 core 3700 just for all around usefulness. The 2700 and 2700X 8 core Ryzens are also interesting options, but are of course a bit slower than the 3xxx series Ryzens. Again, this will come down to budget.

2 TB of storage in your system should be a comfortable minimum, with an eye out for a 4TB+ HDD later on once you get settled in and start making backups of your Daz install.

16 GB of ram if possible, 32GB would be better. 64GB is probably overkill, but can't hurt if your budget will allow.

R.E. a motherboard. If you are going to be doing a LOT of rendering, say for a game, I'd look for a motherboard with 3 or 4 'double spaced' PCIe 16 slots. That way, you can add a second, third, and maybe even fourth GPU for rendering later. Multiple GPUs will generally decrease your render times by roughly half, 2/3rds, etc.. IF you are doing Iray renders and the scene will fit in the smallest card in question.

As a theoretical, if you were mixing say a 6 GB 1660 Ti with an 11GB 2080 Ti, both cards will crunch the render, if the scene will fit in the 6 GB card. Otherwise, Daz will ignore the smaller card. Daz Studio does allow for usage of different cards in the same system, even from different generations to a point, but if possible, using similar cards will probably be better, although more VRAM is more important particularly if you like building larger scenes. There's a Daz Iray benchmarking thread on the Daz forum where several results are obtained using a mixture of cards.

Do keep in mind that a decently sized power supply is important, particularly for multiple GPU setups. These days, even 1200-1600W power supplies can be had for fairly cheap, but of course pay attention to the reviews as not all power supplies are created equal.

FINALLY, the Threadripper discussion. Or perhaps Intel HEDT CPUs. The high end desktop systems in general have more PCIe lanes available for cards, storage, etc. For rendering, though, even if you aren't running your cards at full speed (x16), x8 or even x4 may be adequate for your needs. I'd suggest x8 as your target though, for slightly better performance than x4. I've seen a couple of mentions of some graphics cards not liking x4, but that's another topic. Anyways, the older Threadripper chips are dropping in price, and most Threadripper boards (not all necessarily) can comfortably accomodate 3 'double slot' GPUs. So even if you grabbed a lowly 8 core 1900X Threadripper for budget reasons, it's an interesting option.

Intel X299 is similar, and the new 10xxx HEDT CPUs are agressively priced vs. the older Threadrippers, if you can find one, so these might also be an option. It'll all come down to price and 'bang for buck' here.

For most people, though, an HEDT system isn't necessary if you are just getting started out. It'll all come down to how much you can set aside for your new system. You may end up spending almost as much on the Nvidia GPU as you do on the rest of the system, so be prepared for that, unless you go for a smaller GPU or something... I'd recommend focusing on the larger cards if you are planning on Iray though.

As for a monitor, well 1080P should be the minimum you consider, 4K is better if you can afford it.

One final thought. Even if you do end up buying a dedicated desktop system, that Acer laptop isn't completely useless to you. You could use it to put together scenes on the laptop while the desktop is busy baking renders. You'd have to transfer your scene .duf files over to the desktop once you are ready to render them, and of course would need to install your Daz assets on both, but it's an interesting productivity option for you. USB sticks are good for moving .duf files around between systems of course! Or a networking cable maybe...

If you have the 'multi GPU' setup I've been suggesting though, with a 'dedicated' GPU for the monitor and separate Nvidia card(s) for the Iray rendering, and can open multiple Daz instances, you may be able to work on other scenes just fine on the desktop system while rendering as long as the renders aren't 'CPU only'. Just suggesting options here.

Daz did make a change with 4.12 apparently that disrupts opening multiple Daz instances, but a number of people have complained about that, as they were doing the 'multiple instances' thing. Not sure if it's been 'fixed' yet, as I'm still using 4.10 on my rendering system. Long story...

Hopefully, all of this is this helpful to you in putting together your shopping list...
You are a life saver bro. I have always noticed that most people ignore power supply and motherboards on advice on building a new pc, and that's why these two things are fields I know barely about. Thank you so much for covering them!

Reactions: OhWee

ulala0077

Game Developer
Mar 15, 2018
Yes, it works by default on win7/8/10 but it only uses ~% of the actual existing ram by default, so if you have 8gb physical ram, it might just use 1gb or 2gb virtual ram, which is not much.
Setting higher values can help a lot if you don't have enough physical ram. Just keep in mind that v-ram isn't as fast as actualy ram.
problem is not Vram cause daz not using AMD GPU's. So nothing is saved into Vram. All go to RAM and 8 is really not enough. 16 is minimum for decent CPU rendering.
You two are life savers! Seriously, THANKS A LOT! I was very fed up, as looking at specs wise, my laptop wasn't that bad. And it was so sad to not being able to render full scenes. I upgraded my RAM from 8GB to 24GB, and now I can render scenes with characters in them. I am so happy. These are 250 iteration renders which took 30-30 mins each

Reactions: recreation

ulala0077

Game Developer
Mar 15, 2018
Best thing is, I didn't even need to reduce the textures, using scene optimizer

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
You two are life savers! Seriously, THANKS A LOT! I was very fed up, as looking at specs wise, my laptop wasn't that bad. And it was so sad to not being able to render full scenes. I upgraded my RAM from 8GB to 24GB, and now I can render scenes with characters in them. I am so happy. These are 250 iteration renders which took 30-30 mins each

Not bad for the start at all. But for future, think about any nvidia GPU with 8Gb or more.

Wish you good luck!

SchaakaKon

Nov 29, 2017
So.. basically this thread is saying dont use Daz to render if you have an amd card?
Buying a new card isnt an option for me so my best bet would be to export to something else, like may blender or something to render?