Daz Need help from Devs who use Daz on AMD graphics and Ryzen CPU

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
So.. basically this thread is saying dont use Daz to render if you have an amd card?
Buying a new card isnt an option for me so my best bet would be to export to something else, like may blender or something to render?
You could always go the 3Delight route. It's less popular, but is a CPU based rendering engine to begin with.

And you can still use the AMD card to drive your desktop and run the Daz viewport in non-Iray modes. Technically you can still do Iray with CPU only, and use the CPU to drive the Iray viewport mode if an Nvidia card isn't available. It'll just render slower, it's not impossible.

I learned Daz on an AMD laptop with an integrated AMD GPU, I managed OK, it was just slower... this is also why some of my earliest renders on this forum are so grainy. Aborting renders early 'cuz I didn't want to wait several hours for the render to complete, even at lower resolutions.

Chances are if you are exporting to another program you are abandoning Iray anyways, so you won't be gaining much there. Other rendering engines might be faster than 3Delight, but I'm not up to speed on how the various render engines compare. Of course, in Blender, you can use the AMD card for GPU based rendering, it'll just be different.

There's also OpenCL if you don't mind more 'simplistic' render modes. Might work for a 'comic' look or something... Basic Open CL might not be the prettiest rendering mode, but it's fast!

Just keep an eye peeled for deals on Nvidia cards down the road if you prefer Iray.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
So.. basically this thread is saying dont use Daz to render if you have an amd card?
Buying a new card isnt an option for me so my best bet would be to export to something else, like may blender or something to render?
Do not render with AMD card in any software cause everytime there is issues and problems. Even AMD pro renderer (renderer made by AMD for AMD cards works on nvidia cards better than on AMD) So best option is really buy nvidia card. Sell your own and buy second hand. Problems solved.
Cause if you will not do this this will happen:
You will waste like half of year with another softwares and than you realize that you during that time lear many things about various softwares and AMD drivers, but meh done nothing. So of course it's on you.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Pretty much, yeah. AMD graphic cards aren't amazing for rendering overall, but it works alright in other 3D render programs. You can as well render on your CPU in the other programs. DAZ support CPU rendering, but it isn't optimised at all. Most other render programs started with CPU rendering and added GPU rendering later on, so its CPU rendering is completely fine. For example rendering on my Ryzen 3700x is only like 10/15% slower then rendering on my 2070super in Blender, but it doesn't lock up the whole PC while rendering.

Reactions: BobThom716

8InchFloppyDick

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2020
Yes.

Daz uses CUDA at its core which is Nvidia-specific technology. Think of it as a programming language to control GPU's. All modern Gfx cards need such a language. AMD uses something called OpenCL, which does more-or-less the same thing as CUDA but is Open Source. Unfortunately, CUDA and OpenCL don't mix. Given the market realities of the past few years where Nvidia hardware has on the whole been superior to AMD stuff, Daz made the choice to go with CUDA thus leaving hardware rendering support for AMD GPU's behind.

Unless the Daz people recode Daz to use both CUDA and OpenCL, AMD hardware will never be as fast in Daz as the Nvidia equivalent. Ofcourse that will never happen because Daz is locked into Iray which is built using CUDA. Please note that Nvidia hardware can run OpenCL-based code, it's just the CUDA stuff that's Nvidia specific and wont run on AMD.

And if you ask me WFT? use OpenCL! I'll tell you that from what I understand not only was Nvidia hardware faster back inthe day, but CUDA was easier to program for/with when OpenCL was in its infancy. So most companies/programmers jumped on the Nvidia/CUDA bandwagon.

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people than I on these forums who could do a better job of explaining the CUDA vs. OpenCL choices/tradeoffs, but I don't I've missed the target by too much.

Reactions: Cul
May 16, 2018
Dude, I know this is late but, thank you so much for providing an estimate amount of time and performance that a Ryzen 5 CPU can deliver. Most devs whine that their 4k multi-landscape 20+ Genesis 8 figures scene won't render within 30 seconds, but some of us have to cope with what we've got, waiting up to 11 hours for a render to be complete. As of now, I'm using a 2015 laptop with an i5-5200u Intel CPU, but with the info you provided, I'm gonna upgrade to a Ryzen 7 5700g. It is the best option some of us have right now (especially during this GPU shortage. LOL, as if I could afford an RTX, let alone get my hands on one). Thanks again!