Need information about render time

Greenraiser

Jan 26, 2018
Hello everyone

I'm making this thread because I'm having a hard time deciding between HS2/studio neo and daz. Now, I know there is countless topics on that matter and I have checked them already. I' m making my own game and learning stuff day by day. My main concern is if I chose daz, how much time will the renders take to make something around the quality of foot of the mountains, knowing that I only have a gtx 1070 ti 8GB and want to have a good production rate concerning my renders.

I have discovered some tricks you can use to reduce the time spent on making the renders and I know you can't give me an absolute answer because there is a lot of variables to consider but I would gladly take any info you have on the matter and good exemples of what I should expect because I don't want to get invested in daz now if the time taken for the renders is too much. I would probably do it once I upgrade my gpu eventually. Thank you for reading my thread and I welcome any advice you may have.

(Also excuse me if I have posted in the wrong section)

Praisejesus

Aug 5, 2017
fight2.jpg wonder1.jpg samus1.jpg samus2.jpg

depends on what you want to create, i am currently running two 1070's an out dated I7 processor and 32 gigs of ram,
each of those renders took about 5-15 min, takes me four times as long to setup each scene.

Reactions: Greenraiser

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
Yeah, depending on the complexity it can take some time. Echoing above, it takes me longer to pose and I'm running a 1080 and 1070. No matter how you cut it, I think Daz renders will look better than HS2, but I don't know if for you the increased time is worth the trade off. My big issue with HS2 and the like is that you've got basically one style (anime type characters) and the genitals always look awful. Only so much you can do. But there are some really good developers who get a lot out of HS, like the game Pale Carnations.

Greenraiser

Jan 26, 2018
Yeah, depending on the complexity it can take some time. Echoing above, it takes me longer to pose and I'm running a 1080 and 1070. No matter how you cut it, I think Daz renders will look better than HS2, but I don't know if for you the increased time is worth the trade off. My big issue with HS2 and the like is that you've got basically one style (anime type characters) and the genitals always look awful. Only so much you can do. But there are some really good developers who get a lot out of HS, like the game Pale Carnations.
I do have the same feeling about daz renders looking better than HS2 and I also like the freedom daz gives. As you pointed out, my main issue is the trade off you mentioned. I like both but I'm more leaning towards daz. For now, I think I will run a couple of tests with daz and see where it leads me.

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
I do have the same feeling about daz renders looking better than HS2 and I also like the freedom daz gives. As you pointed out, my main issue is the trade off you mentioned. I like both but I'm more leaning towards daz. For now, I think I will run a couple of tests with daz and see where it leads me.
I like to dabble in Daz, but the idea of making a game is daunting if you've never done it before. I haven't and it's daunting af. But I figure, if I can do the Daz maybe I can make some comics to start, or image series, or maybe I can try my hand with a team with someone else doing the coding and such. It gives you some options I feel that HS2 doesn't.

Greenraiser

Jan 26, 2018
I like to dabble in Daz, but the idea of making a game is daunting if you've never done it before. I haven't and it's daunting af. But I figure, if I can do the Daz maybe I can make some comics to start, or image series, or maybe I can try my hand with a team with someone else doing the coding and such. It gives you some options I feel that HS2 doesn't.
I mean it sure is scary and personally I have a lot to learn and it takes me a lot of time learning every part of making a game but I am having fun doing it. I am trying to give myself small steps and I don't try to put too much pressure. I'm doing it mainly for fun. Why not doing it as long as you enjoy it :)

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
It really isn't as simple as saying..look at this..it took me this long. Far more to Daz than that.

it ultimately depends on the poly count of the assets you're using (and don't see in the camera, this one trips most people up) and your hardware. Could be running 3 2080ti's....the scene (daz) will still only use the VRAM from one card, though will use all 3 for general etc. You're still limited to one cards VRAM though. The VRAM used is then dependant on the poly count of your scene. Some models have a far highter count than others, texture sizes come into play next. Sure, there are a couple of products to reduce both...but it takes time and practice to know what you can do and get away with.

Lastly, pick one and learn it...learn it well. Don't try them all or you will get nowhere. They all have a learning process (especially posing in Studio NEO)...none of them are what you would call a 'simple easy process'.

Greenraiser

Jan 26, 2018
It really isn't as simple as saying..look at this..it took me this long. Far more to Daz than that.

it ultimately depends on the poly count of the assets you're using (and don't see in the camera, this one trips most people up) and your hardware. Could be running 3 2080ti's....the scene (daz) will still only use the VRAM from one card, though will use all 3 for general etc. You're still limited to one cards VRAM though. The VRAM used is then dependant on the poly count of your scene. Some models have a far highter count than others, texture sizes come into play next. Sure, there are a couple of products to reduce both...but it takes time and practice to know what you can do and get away with.

Lastly, pick one and learn it...learn it well. Don't try them all or you will get nowhere. They all have a learning process (especially posing in Studio NEO)...none of them are what you would call a 'simple easy process'.
Thanks a lot, I'm gonna look into it

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Thanks a lot, I'm gonna look into it
any questions feel free to message or ask. There are a lot of tips to reducing poly/texture counts which ultimately...is all that relaly matters as that is what dictates the VRAM useage...which in term is dictated by your card. There's a reason with Daz VN's you rarely see more than a couple of characters in a scene...or highly detailed and populated enviroments etc. Need to carefully plan out your scene. You never, ever, ever...want the render to switch to your CPU because you have run out of VRAM.

Greenraiser

Jan 26, 2018
any questions feel free to message or ask. There are a lot of tips to reducing poly/texture counts which ultimately...is all that relaly matters as that is what dictates the VRAM useage...which in term is dictated by your card. There's a reason with Daz VN's you rarely see more than a couple of characters in a scene...or highly detailed and populated enviroments etc. Need to carefully plan out your scene. You never, ever, ever...want the render to switch to your CPU because you have run out of VRAM.
Is there any way/tool you suggest me using to roughly estimate render time or will it come mainly from experience ? I only have 8gb VRAM and I am worried to be limited by it. Having a way to estimate render time will allow me to test how far I can go with my scenes. I really appreciate your help!

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Render times...not really...play around with the settings to get a feel for time vs quality. if over rendering resolution a little noise can be acceptable as will lose it when downscaling the resolution of the image. Lot of trial and error with that unfortunately and is all dependant on your system too. Just be sure to keep notes of settings before you change them. Maybe set the time limit rather than cycles first...start at a certain limit...see what it looks like etc...jusdge whether you need to increase or decrease something. Again...also dependant on poly's....reflections etc will murder your render times...anything that doesn't need to 'bounced off' then turn it off on that object.

Greenraiser

Jan 26, 2018
Render times...not really...play around with the settings to get a feel for time vs quality. if over rendering resolution a little noise can be acceptable as will lose it when downscaling the resolution of the image. Lot of trial and error with that unfortunately and is all dependant on your system too. Just be sure to keep notes of settings before you change them. Maybe set the time limit rather than cycles first...start at a certain limit...see what it looks like etc...jusdge whether you need to increase or decrease something. Again...also dependant on poly's....reflections etc will murder your render times...anything that doesn't need to 'bounced off' then turn it off on that object.
I will do that then, thanks!!