• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py New game/creator feedback (1st post)

Monjo

Game Developer
Apr 26, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'm a new creator here and this is my first post :). I've created my own games in the past for fun and coding experience (non-adult) and am giving adult VN's a shot. I recently lost my job and hope to make adult VN's my new career if I have success. For now, I will keep the game's concept under wraps. I have a lot more work to do on that front as I've been very focused on the art.

In the past, I used other people's graphics/art for my games because I was just interested in coding and had no intent to sell. So now, I'm creating my own art for the first time! I'm very happy with my progress, but would just like some feedback from the community. I'm still finalizing my thoughts on my current art style. I'm also just very eager to finally make a post here and show my work, even if it's just a few pics. Some of the models are a little more polished than others, please let me know your favorite if you have one and any other comments or criticisms you have.

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
all the renders look pretty good to me, i particularly like the asian girl.
my one adivice would be, DONT MAKE IT INCEST. until patreon fix their rulling, dont bother with incest, as all it will happen is you are gonna be forced to make it another generic "landlady/roommate" that feels awful. im saying this because the images have sis and mom in the name, and if you want to stand out, doing what everyone else is doing wont help you there.

if you trully want that core family aspect, just make it something like a story where it would make sense for an older woman and a younger/same age girl would be in your life, maybe they arent your family, but a friend's family you are crashing in, or maybe its your ex girlfriend's who for some reason went away(could be anything, for example she got covid and is in the hospital, and because your house had alot of people with the vid, you are crashing in with her family), or maybe you got kicked out of the house you were staying, because your roommate got a girlfriend to live in, when you get out, someone aprouch you and ask if you would be ok sharing the apartment with this friend of his from church or deceased older brother/uncle's widow, that is going through some hard times.

whatever you pick, just dont make it incest, it will only become a massive headache for you sooner or later. also, it will be easier to make the scenes fit better the theme, if they are strangers who have no reason to be weirded out with a family member, something pretty much every incest game just glance over with weird nonsensical dialogue that kills the entire reason to make it incest in the first place.

to sum it up, renders look good, dont make it incest, try to be as original as possible with the setting and the story.

Monjo

Game Developer
Apr 26, 2022
ogr blanc - Thank you!

I can't believe I didn't edit the pic names... but they don't actually reveal the game concept. I do currently plan to have some incest content, but that is not the main focus of the game. If enough people suggest I should not have any incest, I will remove it as it would not affect the main story.

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
ogr blanc - Thank you!

I can't believe I didn't edit the pic names... but they don't actually reveal the game concept. I do currently plan to have some incest content, but that is not the main focus of the game. If enough people suggest I should not have any incest, I will remove it as it would not affect the main story.
thing is, many people will tell you to make it incest, but it wont change the amount of headache you will get from patreon. which is why, even if you really want to, i heavily advise you not to. i still remember how many games had to rush on and change it to the "landlady/roommate", and the dialogue made those games almost unreadable in parts.

right now, i think only step daugher/niece/aunt might be able to get away from patreon, so if you want to, that might be a choice. either way, just be prepared to have to drop everything and change it all on a whim of patreon.

Monjo

Game Developer
Apr 26, 2022
Thanks again

There will be many other families in my game, and so, many opportunities to use these characters in other contexts. I'll think it over the next couple days and may very well have the MC live alone.

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
Thanks again

There will be many other families in my game, and so, many opportunities to use these characters in other contexts. I'll think it over the next couple days and may very well have the MC live alone.
no worries mate, also, dont take my words as offense or putting you down, that was never my intention(and i dont think you took it that way), im just trying to give you some heads up to something many devs ignore, only for it to come back and bite them in the ass later. i wouldnt even put that as the reason some end up abandoning the project, as they see it not working out without the incest.

another point i wanted to bring is, make sure you have a clear direction of what you want your game to be, will it be a sandbox? then plan ahead the map, with the important locations you want to visit, think of complementary places to visit as well(jobs, gym, cinema and restaurants for dates), many sandboxes feel empty because the devs dont think of the sandbox part of the game.

if its a kinetic novel, try to think of ways to make it flow well, is it going to be more of a story driven game or a sex orgy? these are things that are better to define earlier on, before you start, so you can avoid falling into traps(and im not talking about the fun "i thought they were a girl" ones).

finally, and this is an advice i give everytime i see a new dev. focus on one girl at a time. if you are doing a sandbox, this is doubly more important. it is better to have a single girl with alot of content, than 20 each with a single scene. of course, that doesnt mean to make it all about 1 char, but that you should give enough for a character at a time, before introducing too many.

Weasel_Face

Sep 16, 2020
Simply stated have players define their relationships at the start with the defaults being landlady & roommate, like most other games do...

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
Simply stated have players define their relationships at the start with the defaults being landlady & roommate, like most other games do...
not gonna lie, i kinda hate when devs do that, because it never fits, if you go full on incest, or non-incest, the dialogue will never read well because its made like that.

Weasel_Face

Sep 16, 2020
not gonna lie, i kinda hate when devs do that, because it never fits, if you go full on incest, or non-incest, the dialogue will never read well because its made like that.
Then make it Teacher, Student, Milkman, Lonely Wife, whatever... that is the whole spirit of renaming, to adapt to your kink. What, Aunty, Cousin, Next Door Neighbor & her daughter... What is the fucking issue other that to force the dev into bankruptcy, cause let's be honest, incest sells.... Get off your high fucking horses, If you don't like incest, name according to what gets you off, FFS...

Monjo

Game Developer
Apr 26, 2022
I appreciate the input, guys.

I'm going with the MC staying with a family in a new location (still working on the details of the setting). I think this still captures the appeal of incest (to me it's just about fucking mom/sister characters, doesn't matter if it's the MC's mom/sister or not). This is my first game so I think it's best I try and avoid any logistical issues.

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019

I'm going with the MC staying with a family in a new location (still working on the details of the setting). I think this still captures the appeal of incest (to me it's just about fucking mom/sister characters, doesn't matter if it's the MC's mom/sister or not). This is my first game so I think it's best I try and avoid any logistical issues.
an interesting idea would be the MC staying at a former bully's house. you could even make it the going after his family be some sort of revenge ntr(as in you ntr him) thing. later on, IF you wish, could even lead into feminization of the bully if you wish to add something more unique.

the story with them could be something like, MC hears that the bully family is going through some bad time so he decides to go back to the city he grew up, he offers them to pay rent for staying with them and use that as a way to start planning on corrupting them to get revenge. the bully could even be female as well, maybe she didnt bully him, but a sister/cousin, and he decide to avenge her.

it would open a very unique take on the "living with a mother/sister figure that dont like you" thing most incest games have anyway.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
all the renders look pretty good to me, i particularly like the asian girl.
my one adivice would be, DONT MAKE IT INCEST. until patreon fix their rulling, dont bother with incest, as all it will happen is you are gonna be forced to make it another generic "landlady/roommate" that feels awful. im saying this because the images have sis and mom in the name, and if you want to stand out, doing what everyone else is doing wont help you there.

whatever you pick, just dont make it incest, it will only become a massive headache for you sooner or later. also, it will be easier to make the scenes fit better the theme, if they are strangers who have no reason to be weirded out with a family member, something pretty much every incest game just glance over with weird nonsensical dialogue that kills the entire reason to make it incest in the first place.

to sum it up, renders look good, dont make it incest, try to be as original as possible with the setting and the story.
Why not write incest and use a patch? Even looking beyond telling people what they should or shouldn't write, if the dev is looking to make a profit off their work, then incest can be a big bump in visibility within regards to that.

It all really depends on how much work the dev wants to put into the writing itself. There are some who write the script/dialogue without incest (friend, roommate, etc.) and change bits of the story accordingly to fit that narrative, then use a patch and write the incest form of it. Telling others not to write something based on your own opinion and tastes, but treating them as universal fact is both slightly narrow-sighted and dogmatic. Let people do what they want and how they want to, they're going to have more fun that way, and are less likely to toss into the junk pile with the thousand other games that've gone unfinished.

DaWolk

May 4, 2022

Hot girls (y)
MC staying with a family in a new location ? So no incest ? Sad but still like it.
Something good to bang someone else Mother and Sister right ?
Mama + Wine = sexual deprived :devilish:
Patreon sux, bully artist and developers who has warmth of family bonding.

Monjo

Game Developer
Apr 26, 2022
Hmmm..
I've been going back and forth a lot.. I will either go with what I have now, or have the MC return to his family after a long break as it wouldn't take much work to shift to that.

Metis- I agree both the lighting and expressions have a long way to go. These images were actually the first time I used any lighting adjustments at all. I just threw some lights in right before rendering. I understand lighting better now and am using HDRI's so I think the lighting will be much improved. As far as the expressions, I absolutely agree they are extremely important, but I'm not sure they are worth my time investment right now. Creating genuine expressions might be the most difficult and nuanced aspect of animation, for now I think it's probably best I just download poses from people who have spent more time doing them. I don't expect my first game to be a masterpiece, so I'd like to focus on what gives me the most bang for the buck and learn as I go. This first game will be a learning experience.

I'm also not necessarily shooting for realism with my art... I'm mostly concerned with sex appeal. Some of the most popular games have very cartoony characters with exaggerated expressions. We play these games to fap first and foremost, so... I'd like to create fappable characters. As long as people can see themselves stroking it to my characters, I think I can ignore the finer details for now :)

Thanks again for the feedback, guys.