New Game Idea ... is this interesting to you?

Sep 1, 2023
I have an idea, but before I sink hundreds of hours I wanted to ask if this sounded interesting to anybody.

It's dark fantasy world where men have gone extinct, and the surviving women form a last bastion city surrounded by high walls. There they live in peace and harmony. However every so often, a Rift opens and men return from the other side as corrupted/mindless demons. The Protagonist lost her mother during one such attack. Orphaned, she joined the warrior "Valkyrie Corp". Story begins during the last days of training, as she and several young Valkyries go into the wasteland for their final test. There they have an unexpected encounter, and wonder if Protagonist's mother really died. More horrifyingly, the protagonist slowly develops powers similar to the demons coming out of the Rift. Over 15 - 18 chapters, Protagonist untangled a complex web of lies, as she uncovers the truth about what really happened to her mother, how men came to disappear, and that the peaceful "city of survivors" is more dangerous and sinister than she could've imagined.

The story is kinda Christopher Nolan meets Attack on Titan: a dystopian world full of dangers and secretive intrigue, intense battle sequences, and several (hopefully) well-orchestrated plot twists. Despite the obvious set up, there are actually no monster-rape scenes. The game is instead focused on a slow-burn plot, exploring the social and sexual dynamic of the surviving society, and fleshing out the characters and doing a deep dive on the world-building .

I guess my concern is, most adult games are either male protagonist harem, or female protagonist corruption. My game is neither. It focuses mainly on f/f lesbian relationships. I do try to create a variety of lesbian scenes, from romantic long foreplay sessions, to hardcore strap-on fucking, to even a wrestling/sexfight scene where (optionally) loser submits and is dominated by the winner.

However if I'm going to be sinking thousands of hours into production, it would be nice to know I'm not heading down the wrong path for adult content lol.

At this early stage of plotting, the story actually works with an alternative male protagonist, which would make the game a more standard harem game (in which case worldbuildling wise 90% of men in the world will have disappeared,).

Personally, I really like the setting of all female survivors in a dark fantasy world. But guess I'll end with some open-ended questions: would you give a female protagonist game with primarily f/f lesbian relationships and little rape/corruption content a chance? If given a choice, would your rather play as a male protagonist? Or see more male characters? Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brine_Basilisk

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
If you are into it then chances are others are going to be into it as well.

Also if you want to gauge any concrete interest on a game you should at the very least release a initial demo version as most people have no idea if they are going to like something or not with just a few lines of text and nothing to see or play.

Sep 1, 2023
If you are into it then chances are others are going to be into it as well.

Also if you want to gauge any concrete interest on a game you should at the very least release a initial demo version as most people have no idea if they are going to like something or not with just a few lines of text and nothing to see or play.
That's a good suggestion. It is hard to gauge an idea from text. I'm still awhile away from a demo but I'm working towards it. Thanks for feedback Meaning Less.

Reactions: Meaning Less

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
Personally, i really like the setting of an all female warriors tribe, and exploring the social and sexual dynamic between the women in depth.
then you should do that. what you like is the only thing that matters. do not waste time making it something you're not into.

would I play a male protagonist version? -it's safe to say there's no chance in hell I'll even click anything that has the tag 'female protagonist'. but around 40% of people will, assuming there are no other strongly divisive tags that cut your 40% base down. (and multiple protagonists makes it even less likely I'd ever click it, as it just means the dev has no idea what story he wanted to tell.)

Sep 1, 2023
then you should do that. what you like is the only thing that matters. do not waste time making it something you're not into.

would I play a male protagonist version? -it's safe to say there's no chance in hell I'll even click anything that has the tag 'female protagonist'. but around 40% of people will, assuming there are no other strongly divisive tags that cut your 40% base down. (and multiple protagonists makes it even less likely I'd ever click it, as it just means the dev has no idea what story he wanted to tell.)
Thanks for your feedback woody. Out of curiosity, how did you come to the 40% player base? If there's a survey I'd love to check it out... or is it a rough estimate?

MangoMeta

Oct 27, 2018
Thanks for your feedback woody. Out of curiosity, how did you come to the 40% player base? If there's a survey I'd love to check it out... or is it a rough estimate?
look at the popular games on patreon. the high earners are predominately male protag for a reason. supply and demand

Sep 1, 2023
look at the popular games on patreon. the high earners are predominately male protag for a reason. supply and demand
True. I actually look at the top 50 adult games on Graphtreon alot, and the vast majority are male protagonist.

Hm... I'll have to think this thru. Maybe at game start player can chose the protgaonist as male or female. It's double the renders (to replace the MC model in shots), but maybe a worthy compromise.

Last edited:

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
we've had a ton of polls about it over years and they generally land around 60/40 split between male and female protagonist. tagged games follow the same ratio. there's of course also some overlap but the question is usually 'which one do you prefer' etc so the overlap doesn't show.

Reactions: Doorknob22

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
the high earners are predominately male protag for a reason. supply and demand
I don't think the reason is that significant as both groups are HUGE compared to any kinks. adding almost any kink on top of the male/female choice restricts audience down to 10-20% of the total 100%.

like you take maybe the most popular kink MILF and you already cut your 60 or 40 in half. so for example a vanilla female protagonist has 40% audience against a milf + male protagonist combo's 30%. add ntr and we're talking 4% vs 3% left. so 40% is HUGE.

divisive kinks cut audience down so fast. which makes people chasing numbers by adding every kink the dumbest fucks there are.

Jack Madrigal

Aug 12, 2023
I have an idea, but before I sink hundreds of hours I wanted to ask if this sounded interesting to anybody.

It's dark fantasy AVN about a tribe of Amazon warriors deep in the Everwoods, at the heart of which is a crater called the Abyss. Every decade or so, a Rift opens in the Abyss, spewing forth demonic abominations. The Protagonist lost her mother during one such attack. Orphaned, she joined the Valkyries Corp to seek revenge. Story begins with her Coming of Age, as she and several young warrioress enter the Abyss for their final test. But an unexpected encounter there casts doubt on how the Protagonist's mother really died. More horrifying, she slowly develops demonic powers, which she desperately tries to hide. Over approximately 15 - 18 chapters, Protagonist gets tangled in a complex web of lies, as the peaceful village she thought she knew becomes more dangerous than she imagined.

The vibe is kinda Westworld meets Attack on Titan: set in a dangerous dystopian world with intense battle sequences, with several (hopefully) well-orchestrated plot twists.

I guess my concern is, for adult content most games are either male protagonist harem, or female protagonist corruption. My game is neither. it's female protagonist, focusing primarily on slow burn f/f relationships and (hopefully) a compelling and tightly paced plot. Most adult scenes are f/f lesbian, although I do mix in a good variety from romantic long foreplay sessions, to hardcore strap-on fucking, to even a wrestling/sexfight scene where (optionally) loser submits and is dominated by the winner.

However if I'm going to be sinking thousands of hours into production, it would be nice to know I won't be the only one playing it lol.

At this early stage of plotting, the story actually works with an alternative male protagonist, which would make the game a more male protagionist harem style game. Alternatively, I could add more male characters while keeping the protagonist female.

Personally, i really like the setting of an all female warriors tribe, and exploring the social and sexual dynamic between the women in depth. But guess I'll end with a few open-ended questions: would you give a female protagonist game with primarily f/f lesbian relationships and little noncon/corruption content a chance? If given a choice, would your rather play this game as a male protagonist? Or see more male characters? Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks for your thoughts!
That look like a story alright, but honestly if you'd allow me to give you a piece of advice : Don't bother looking what others are doing for comparison, do your own thing, you need to have enough trust in your own capacities and the value of your product, you got something in your head and trying to bend your creativity to fit everyone else's work will just be detrimental.

my personnal approache to game making (even if it's cliche) is first of all to make a game I would want to play. define a clear progression and a narrative coherency, don't try going overboard with art, illustrate your point but don't try to appeal to a group of fetish or another, make it a work of love and be consistent.

there's no creative limitation to have an all-female cast of character, do different and please I beg you, don't do it for your ego seeking popularity.

Sep 1, 2023
That look like a story alright, but honestly if you'd allow me to give you a piece of advice : Don't bother looking what others are doing for comparison, do your own thing, you need to have enough trust in your own capacities and the value of your product, you got something in your head and trying to bend your creativity to fit everyone else's work will just be detrimental.

my personnal approache to game making (even if it's cliche) is first of all to make a game I would want to play. define a clear progression and a narrative coherency, don't try going overboard with art, illustrate your point but don't try to appeal to a group of fetish or another, make it a work of love and be consistent.

there's no creative limitation to have an all-female cast of character, do different and please I beg you, don't do it for your ego seeking popularity.
Thanks for your comment, Jack. This is... surprisingly good advice. It is very easy to let either the artistic voice of others, or (as you named it) the popularity ego sneak into a game/story and divert it. I think I do have something unique and interesting on my hands ... likely not for everyone. But I'll keep what you said in mind.

Good luck on your game as well!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Jack Madrigal

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
Sirentales,

Why not make male protagonist story abit different from females?

Such as: A male is looking for hes mothers origins, and on how mysteriously she died(while merging/continuing original female story on the way). And why was he casted away from the tribe ect ect. Until fully growen and discovering tribes location from old witch or whatnot. Coming back (forcing hes way back) and demanding answers.

Overall plot sounds interesting... I lean on more what Jack above mentioned as well.

Something like this with a little bit of tweaking surely will find it's audience. I can at least say it's original, and not cliche.

Whatever you decide good luck!

Reactions: Northern_Blade

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
It's what Meaning Less , woody554 and Jack Madrigal wrote. On the short and medium ranges, what will drive you forward and give you energy to push onwards is not the money earned but your own passion towards your project, especially if there will be problems at the beginning, as is natural to happen. And that passion will come from a deep connection to the story.

I truly believe that in the AVN market, if the quality of your game is good, you keep a stable and transparent pace of releases, you have enough stamina to go on for at least two years (many developers fail here) and your game doesn't focus on an obscure niche fetish, you will succeed. Good luck!

Reactions: Northern_Blade
Sep 1, 2023
Sirentales,

Why not make male protagonist story abit different from females?

Such as: A male is looking for hes mothers origins, and on how mysteriously she died(while merging/continuing original female story on the way). And why was he casted away from the tribe ect ect. Until fully growen and discovering tribes location from old witch or whatnot. Coming back (forcing hes way back) and demanding answers.

Overall plot sounds interesting... I lean on more what Jack above mentioned as well.

Something like this with a little bit of tweaking surely will find it's audience. I can at least say it's original, and not cliche.

Whatever you decide good luck!
Hey Glorified_ignorance, I think your approach is a good idea. My idea was to replace the main female protagonist with the male so there is as few reworks/edits as possible. Definitely some scenes and interactions will be different, but it took me about ~3 month to pace out and plan the original plot chapter by chapter, didn't want to put all that work to waste with a completely different plot from a male perspective lol.

And thank you! I hope I have something unique, at least I try to tell a unique and original story as that's my passion. In the end, audience feedback will be key. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
Hey you are the one making the game not me. I'm here to give opinion/advice since(you asked) and its still possible in early development, and will do so as well after you release your demo(hopefully if I wont miss that happening). Whatever you decide, you decide :) All I can say at this point is: patience, patience, patience and good luck!

Ps. ill be stalking this thread from time to time.

Sep 1, 2023
Hey you are the one making the game not me. I'm here to give opinion/advice since(you asked) and its still possible in early development, and will do so as well after you release your demo(hopefully if I wont miss that happening). Whatever you decide, you decide :) All I can say at this point is: patience, patience, patience and good luck!

Ps. ill be stalking this thread from time to time.
True :) Patience and persistency is key. I appreciate your advice/opinion, definitely will keep it in my back pocket for later in the development cycle. And thanks for your feedback, it helps me gauge where I stand and course correct if need be.

Sep 1, 2023
It's what Meaning Less , woody554 and Jack Madrigal wrote. On the short and medium ranges, what will drive you forward and give you energy to push onwards is not the money earned but your own passion towards your project, especially if there will be problems at the beginning, as is natural to happen. And that passion will come from a deep connection to the story.

I truly believe that in the AVN market, if the quality of your game is good, you keep a stable and transparent pace of releases, you have enough stamina to go on for at least two years (many developers fail here) and your game doesn't focus on an obscure niche fetish, you will succeed. Good luck!
Thanks for your feedback, Doorknob. Yeah you're right. The first year, or two, probably won't see crazy amounts of Patreon anyways. I see so many "abandoned" tags, or games have massive drop in playerbase after 1+ yr no update. It does seem having persistency and energy to carry is half the battle.

Just checked out your game btw. Seems interesting! Good luck with your game dev as well!