VN Ren'Py New Game: JumpScare

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
JumpScare begins when the protagonist moves to a new apartment and he starts experience the presence of an strange woman that comes and go around his apartment. Understandably scared and pissed, the MC decides to buy cameras to spy on his apartment while he is away at work, so he can discover and understand the strange happenings he is experienced. Who is this weird woman? What is happening in his apartment? Discover this wholesome story inspired by Teaching a Feeling.

Gameplay elements include:
  • Day/Night cycle. During day the cameras run while you are at work. During night you can explore your apartment and check the cameras footage.
  • Study the patterns of the mysterious woman, explore your apartment and try interacting with her as you can't do it during the day and you don't see her during the night.
  • Buy online items that may help you on your quest.
  • When you get the chance, "interact" with this ghostly woman.
I'm starting to develop this game on the side of my main project, mostly because I want to hire an artist for it. At the moment, I have a few artists working on the game, but I'll ultimately pick only one based on feedback, mostly. I'm making these thread for that very reason, ask feedback from users about artstyles and the such.

These are my very own concept art:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Further more, there are 3 artists involved:

The third artist is still working on it, but I'd love your input on these so far. So, what do you guys think of the concept, the story, the character design?

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I really like what you are exploring!

The character design (gamer, sleepless eyes) reminds me of some anime that focused on a very awkward gamer girl nerd who never socialized and only understood the world in video game terms (played dating simulations to get ready to hang out with a guy, thinking that it was a perfect simulation of what the experience would be like). I think the concept of the character is really cute, a nerd, wants sex/or is just a general perv, in a shirt, with a nerd like body (thin, right sized boobs) that matches the personality.

The only challenge would be figuring out and fleshing out game mechanics, which can't be too complex since you are doing this only as a side project, and you don't want to have this project take all your energy.

I think I actually like the concept art, while I think most of the time any art is good enough, I could see you wanting to refine it and improve the final product, and doing so may take a lot of your time. Meanwhile, having an artist, while may not necessarily be faster, means you usually don't have to worry about art (I am hyper-critical of everything I make but love everything anyone else makes), and that means you can focus on your main project instead of having this project take over your time.

I could see artist 2 being Number 1 for me, followed by your concept art as my second option. While I think artist 1 does a great job, I see great action line/proportions/readability and style, I personally shy away from the manga or anime like vibe the character art style gives just because it seems too generic and doesn't stand out, and in general I am not much for the manga style of character design/writing.

Depending on how casual you intend to make this game, I may take a bit of time to make my own concept art to see if I can embody the character's characteristics.

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
Thanks for your answer, mate!

(played dating simulations to get ready to hang out with a guy, thinking that it was a perfect simulation of what the experience would be like)
Yes, that's basically the gist of it. I'm mostly inspired from watamote as the concept of the main character, specifically , although I already had the concept of focusing the game on a single apartment in order to make it easier to work with. Probably not extra characters, or at least not a lot, just wanting to focus on her specifically, even if the game ends up being short, which isn't that much of a worry, since I want it to be relatively open ended even if there's an "ending state" of sorts.
The only challenge would be figuring out and fleshing out game mechanics, which can't be too complex since you are doing this only as a side project, and you don't want to have this project take all your energy
Already planned, although not fleshed. I have to see how engaging it can be. At the very least, I don't want the gameplay to be boring.
and that means you can focus on your main project instead of having this project take over your time.
It's true that one of the reasons I want an artist is time management. What takes me the most time in my main project is the CG. However, the biggest reason is simply that I'd rather use different kind of art, not koikatsu, to make the game. Plus, koikatsu is very limiting for me in a lot of aspects, for example, I can't add armpit hair, and a clothing system using koikatsu assets is just a fucking nightmare, or at least I haven't found a practical way around it.
While I think artist 1 does a great job, I see great action line/proportions/readability and style, I personally shy away from the manga or anime like vibe the character art style gives just because it seems too generic and doesn't stand out, and in general I am not much for the manga style of character design/writing.
I understand your feelings, but personally I like artist 1 more than artist 2, even though I like both alright. I'm indeed into anime style. However, Pinsel also made a second design for her, using a more cartoonish approach:
Depending on how casual you intend to make this game, I may take a bit of time to make my own concept art to see if I can embody the character's characteristics
By all means! I'm willing to work with anyone who has a passion for this. Although my patreon winnings aren't that much right now, though.

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
Short update:
I'm still looking for an artist. It's complicated because some bail, some are hard to work with, I don't dislike any of them, of course, but I need to put this show on the road already.

Right now I found an artist named , so check his twitter if you want. I may work with his for a set price. Now please pray I will get the price, but so far I LOVE how professional he seems:
And of course, my friend still making sketches. Give him some support on twitter!

That's all for now regarding JumpScare. Remember to check my other game if you are interested!

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
glad to hear an update.
commissioned art may be interesting considering I see artist commisions closed a lot of the time.

Reactions: AmazonessKing

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
Saki_Sliz Found him on 4chan's /aco/. I'm very surprised how professional he is, and I really like it. We talked about the project and he is open to commit to it as long as I have the money, which is normal, it's business. He does other stuff and it's great as well. As I said, go ahead and check his twitter!

For this weeks progress on the art, here's a bit of a concept for Amelia's face:
amelia_sketch_face-hair.jpg

Of course, it's a rough sketch and just an early concept, there's still room for improvement. Hope you guys like it, and any suggestion is welcomed.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Glad to hear, interesting art style.
I would type more but my keyboard is on the fritz and typing is frustrating.

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
Here's some more concept art, just so you guys don't have an empty hand this week. I could post some of the extra scenes, but I don't want to spoil anyone. All things in consideration, these are still early sketches, so there are a few changes I want to be done, like the breasts being a bit larger than I wanted in comparison to previous sketches, and I want a better-defined stomach, so the changes will be coming, worry not, I will want your opinion, though! And go and follow !

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
Another art update. Now that the character sheets are done, the backgrounds are being worked on along the sprites themselves.

I'm slowly going with jumpscare because I'm slowly paying the assets before releasing a demo, but still, things are going smoothly when it comes to art, I hope you like the final result so far when it comes to the sheets!

Remember to check , and I got a new artist for backgrounds, once I have the first one, I'll be show it here.

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
More progress report, Lucas, the protagonist (You can name him altogether), is done. He should take significantly less time since it isn't as complex as the ghost.
Lucas_heigth.jpg

Reactions: Reifon

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019