Ren'Py new to this

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
Hi im new to this idea of creating a hentai game and using this site to request stuff. Of course I have played multiple games and I thought what if I created a game and thats why im here today.
I know that it take time to gather the knowledge necessary to be able to do this all on my own thats why im here to ask for help.
first of is that Research into affection is the type of game I would like to make being that I would like to be able to make models like the ones they use but don't know where to find out where they were made.
Second is renpy good for being able to do a world like research into affection with being able to go to different locations like a sandbox.
Third I know there's probably threads out their that tells me this stuff but im really slow when researching stuff so I thought it would be quicker if someone could tell me
i'm just doing this as it sounds very fun and could turn into something more like a hobby.
Thanks for any help your able to offer.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
first thing to do is to

1. Learn python
2. Learn how to use daz/blender
3. start small

with daz it's best that you have at least 32gb of ram and up video card that has CUDA Cores the more you have the better

most of the art from summertime sega or Lust and Power are hand drawn

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
first thing to do is to

1. Learn python
2. Learn how to use daz/blender
3. start small

with daz it's best that you have at least 32gb of ram and up video card that has CUDA Cores the more you have the better

most of the art from summertime sega or Lust and Power are hand drawn
ah i see thank you i plan to do all the above but now i guess i gotta get better ram first to be able to do this efficiently. my video card should be good enough but not sure about my cores but anyway thanks for the help

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
what type of video card do you have?

1070 have 1920 CUDA Cores or 1080 have 2560 CUDA Cores and up or 1080ti have 3584 CUDA Cores and up

my video card is ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 it has 1920 CUDA Cores

Reactions: penguin861

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
ah i see thank you i plan to do all the above but now i guess i gotta get better ram first to be able to do this efficiently. my video card should be good enough but not sure about my cores but anyway thanks for the help
I have 24 gig of ram, it's plenty.

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
what type of video card do you have?

1070 have 1920 CUDA Cores or 1080 have 2560 CUDA Cores and up or 1080ti have 3584 CUDA Cores and up

my video card is ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 it has 1920 CUDA Cores
geforce gtx 1050
CUDA cores: 640
and ram is only 8gb
so even though this is really low do you think it would still be able to run it?

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
geforce gtx 1050
and ram is only 8gb
so even though this is really low do you think it would still be able to run it?
Yes...but it will be an awful struggle.

That's more or less the set up I had when I made the original Heavy Five and, looking back it was utter madness to even try to make a big game on something like that. Renders could easily take an hour each for example.

That said, as rayminator says, start small. I think your set up is fine for learning the basics, seeing if you enjoy making a game and learning Renpy etc. So my advice would be start with you have and, if you take to it and get your head around it all, then spend some money on something more powerful.

And yes, Renpy is perfectly fine for making a sandbox type game. It's remarkably flexible and my own has sandbox elements in it with no problems at all.

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
Yes...but it will be an awful struggle.

That's more or less the set up I had when I made the original Heavy Five and, looking back it was utter madness to even try to make a big game on something like that. Renders could easily take an hour each for example.

That said, as rayminator says, start small. I think your set up is fine for learning the basics, seeing if you enjoy making a game and learning Renpy etc. So my advice would be start with you have and, if you take to it and get your head around it all, then spend some money on something more powerful.

And yes, Renpy is perfectly fine for making a sandbox type game. It's remarkably flexible and my own has sandbox elements in it with no problems at all.
yeah i'll start of doing something small to see if i can get into it and if i can i will prob upgrade my pc. thank you for the help

Reactions: Nottravis

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Yeah starting small is very useful. My first two projects contain a lot of mistakes that would have made me abandon a larger game. It helped me define things I find important in a game (and things I find less important). And it made me feel confident I could and want to tackle a larger project.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
geforce gtx 1050
and ram is only 8gb

try to stay away from iray for now well try too and do everything with 3Delight or you can just use your cpu but don't anything while rendering with this you will have to keep an eye out for cpu temps

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
try to stay away from iray for now well try too and do everything with 3Delight or you can just use your cpu but don't anything while rendering with this you will have to keep an eye out for cpu temps
yeah can't wait for my computer to freeze lol oh well hopefully it dont crash while it at it. and thanks for the help

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
Lots of planning, you can't do enough planning; do lots of planning before you start making anything, have I mentioned that planning is important?
thank you for the advice do you think i should make a full story in advance then make it? or like half the story do that then do the rest? cause i dont know what would work better for making a game

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
also if possible can anyone tell me the best version of honey select to get as i can't decide on what version is better than the other

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
thank you for the advice do you think i should make a full story in advance then make it? or like half the story do that then do the rest? cause i dont know what would work better for making a game
It depends on the game, if you are releasing it in chapters then make sure you have enough story for a few chapters before you release the first one. Plan how you want the game to end and work back from that; you don't need to write the whole thing but you should know how you want the game to progress and the key elements of the story and gameplay.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Lots of planning, you can't do enough planning; do lots of planning before you start making anything, have I mentioned that planning is important?
And don't just say "today I will plan." Planning your planning is also key, so plan it. Especially in a game with planets.

*might have had too many Jaffa cakes*

But in all seriousness...

It depends on the game, if you are releasing it in chapters then make sure you have enough story for a few chapters before you release the first one. Plan how you want the game to end and work back from that; you don't need to write the whole thing but you should know how you want the game to progress and the key elements of the story and gameplay.
This.

I had all my story plotted out before I even started to code a thing back when I started. Thea is totally on point with this. This way you never get stuck, your characters behave consistently with the plot and you, as the dev, always know what's coming next. So you know which scenes will be heavy, which light, which of them will be a bitch to render etc and it allows you to prepare.

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
i'm not gonna release chapters as i don't like that style of games i prefer it as just an update to the game or something along those lines. and thank you for the help.

penguin861

Feb 2, 2019
And don't just say "today I will plan." Planning your planning is also key, so plan it. Especially in a game with planets.

*might have had too many Jaffa cakes*

But in all seriousness...

This.

I had all my story plotted out before I even started to code a thing back when I started. Thea is totally on point with this. This way you never get stuck, your characters behave consistently with the plot and you, as the dev, always know what's coming next. So you know which scenes will be heavy, which light, which of them will be a bitch to render etc and it allows you to prepare.
jaffa cakes are to good you can't have too many.
so story before even touching coding okay.
yeah i see what you mean with planning for the planning cause otherwise you can easily get stuck.
and thank you for the help

Reactions: Nottravis